Hooking speakers to amp, rca to wire clamp

Username: Railheadnv

Post Number: 1
aquired some good bose speakers but the back of the speakers have spring loaded clamps for bare wire and the amp has RCA jacks. Any way of using these speakers or did I waste my money?

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 30
Hi Kelly,

What amp are you using - provide both make and model and describe the speaker hookups on the back of the amp in a little more detail. Amplifiers traditionally have spring loaded jacks, binding posts or other some other screw type connection for speaker wires. I don't know any power or integrate amp that sends current to speakers using RCA jacks, which are also termed as phono jacks. Whatever wire you have going from the +ve and -ve (red/black) output on the amp for the speakers should be hooked up to some type of speaker wire. The end of the speaker wire is either terminated or unterminated. Your description of RCA jack seems to imply that the speaker wires are terminated with some type of plug. You should be able to cut off this plug end or unscrew the plug, then strip the wire to the copper. Twist the copper nice and tight and then use the spring loaded jacks on the speakers to connect the wires. You should be good to go. Just make sure you +ve and -ve connections are correct. Let us know how it goes.

Post Number: 2
Thanks george for responding. What i have is a crosley stereo with cd, turntable, cassette. The back has "aux. out" and "audio out". Both have a red and a white female plug in. I just took it for granted that "audio out" meant I could add a speaker. The speaker has spring loaded jacks, Red and White. I hope this gives you a little more info to go on. I sure appreciate your help my friend. Kelly

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 33
May still need a little more info. but here it goes. You can't directly hook up your Bose speakers to the female plug-in rca jacks marked "aux. out" / "audio out". It sounds as if there are no other speaker outputs on the back of the stereo. Does your crosley stereo have existing speakers built-in or attached to wires? If so, you will probably need to disconnect these from the existing speakers, which may mean unscrewing or cutting them and then stripping the ends of the wires before attaching to your Bose speakers. So let's start with answering my first question...does your existing stereo have built in speakers or speakers attached by some sore of wire? If so, describe how these existing speakers are hooked up to the stereo. Pictures of the back of the stereo might be helpful.

Post Number: 3
the plug-ins aren't RCA jacks, I don't think. It's a typical speaker plug. I'll try to send a picture. Thanks george.

p.s. here it is!

kelly

Post Number: 4
maybe i'll try again with that photo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us