Turntable plays too slowly

Username: Lizboule7

Post Number: 1
i just bought a record player used and i placed a 33 in it on the 33 setting to play and it sounds way too slow so i sped it up to a 45 setting and its too fast. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it running right? its an AKAI semi automatic turntable AP-A101. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 29
Hi there Elizabeth,

From the quick check I did on the Web, it appears your turntable is a belt drive. So most likely, and I would recommend reading the instructions or downloading them on the net, you should be able to lift the platter and see the belt. As turntables get old these belts tend to stretch and get loose, increasing the diameter and slowing the overall speed. As well the belts can get hard and brittle with time and therefore slip, causing irregular speed. Generally, if you're using the turntable daily, it will need a new belt every 2 to 3 years. Prior to replacing the belt, give the pulleys a clean with rubbing alcohol using a q-tip and use a compressed air can to blow out any dust and debris. Be careful all the while to not bump the tonearm or the cartridge/stylus. Let us know how it goes. Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us