Affect on speakers of interconnect length?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 701
I need to buy a set of interconnects. Are there any rules regarding the length of interconnect cables?

i.e. Shorter is better or is this alike the biwire vs normal wire debate. i.e. it doesnt matter.

Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12888

It depends on their use. The most important factor is (almost always) capacitance which must be kept to a minimum when used between the phono cartridge and pre amp. For line level use, you should know the output impedance of the device at the source end. Anything over 600 Ohms output impedance means you shouldn't try to drive more than a two meter pair of cables and shorter would be better.

The length of an interconnect has no real effect on the speakers, just on the component being connected with the cable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 702
I dont know what the output impedence is but it is for line level(pre-out)(from a pre amp to two power amp). I was looking at at 3 metres but I'll go for two I think with you're advice!

I bought the two NAD 2100s. They're brilliant, but find that when I turn them up really loud my monitor audio br2s can sound very hard and shrill. So I've had to turn the treble down lots.

I do have a concern that the power amps can get rather hot too?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12890

"I do have a concern that the power amps can get rather hot too?"

That's a question?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3130
JJ, sounds to me like you're overdriving the system. Shrill and hard? MAs? Difficult to do. That would also account for the 2100s running so hot.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1249
My MA's were shrill with my Rotel.

Nasty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 703
It was a question!
But like Frank rightly said, it probably was because I was driving them hard but I'd like to play loud sometimes without the treble obviously dominating! I also think you can 'outgrow' a speaker, I'm increasingly finding it hard to enjoy music on them, everything seems a little tinny. I do have the 2100s stacked because I cant place them separately since I'm currently in a small room.

In two months I'll be in a larger one.
My Monitor Audio BR2s, Marantz pm6002 amp and Atacama Stands are on ebay right now.

Next week some new Acoustic Energy Linear 3 speakers will be arriving . Not too fond of the silver baffle but I'll be leaving the covers on to which they then look fantastic.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1979
JJ - is that a fire engine I hear?

I'd find a way to unstack those amps - no use having nice shiny new speakers and no amp to drive them.

And you might want to look after those ears :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 704
I'll find a way Rantzy!

You're right, I feel guilty sometimes when my ears go a little funny. Guilty for abusing them!

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1898
Very informative: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us