Handshaking?

Username: Bosoxfan

Post Number: 1
have a Toshiba 52HM84 DLP. Have had it since day one, great tv. I recently upgraded my reciever to the Onkyo 805 (for the HDMI switching, among other things...). PS3 and Sat DVR plugged into HDMI 1 and 2 slots on reciever, with HDMI out going to the TV set.

Heres the problem, I have sound but no Audio. I get a small vertical green bar that flashes every now and then the whole time. Sound is perfect. I unplug and go from source directly to TV with no problems. Which leads me to believe either its a Handshaking issue or reciever is bad (new one is already on the way, just in case.)

If it is Handshaking, is there any way around it? My whole reason for the 805 was the power, HDMI switch, and the True HD/ DTS HD for my Blu ray. If i have to go component, can the HDMI in from source to reciever decode those new blu ray audio codes with me using component for Video?...ugh, hope that wasnt clear as mud....but was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
Thanks,
Sox

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3097
Sox,

Clear as mud...but I'll try.

I think you're getting sound but no video. The green bar does not indicate a handshake issue necessarily.

1. On the Onkyo, have you switched on the HDMI output via the setup menu? You need to do this. You should not have to use component.

2. On the PS3, have you setup the HDMI output settings? You need to do this to switch on the output IIRC.

Now, TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are not available from your PS3. The PS3 will 'only' output the high res audio from Blu-ray as Uncompressed PCM. This is the same resolution as you would get if the unpacking was done in the Onkyo - i.e. no loss in quality in theory. If you choose the Bitstream option in the HDMI Audio output settings of the PS3, it will only give you standard (DVD equivalent) Dolby Digital and DTS.

So, in order to take advantage of the high res audio from Blu-ray, set the HDMI Audio setting in your PS3 to Uncompressed PCM.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Frank, I actually got it back out of the box, rehooked everything up and bam, no problems. Later in the day however, the Sat DVR worked fine, when switching from PS3 to DVR. The problem again was no picture from the PS3, but I did have sound. I noticed that instead of "HDMI PASSTHROUGH" on the Onkyo, it was saying "MULTICHANNEL". I did a hard reset of the PS3 and it worked again. Im about to try it again here soon....crossing fingers that I had set something up wrong...again, thanks!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3101
You should set the Onkyo for HDMI PASSTHROUGH on the PS3's input for video, but it should be multichannel for the audio section. I don't remember the exact menu settings but you do need to exercise care on this since it's easy to get it confused. The PS3 has an excellent scaler in it and on blu-ray discs will ouput 1080p/24fps provided you tell it to do so.

The Sat DVR could be outputting anything from 480i to 720p. You need to check this out, but the Onkyo should be able to cope with anything provided it has been setup correctly.

Rather than doing hard resets (which leave you with little confidence that 'something won't go wrong again'), it's better to work your way through the menus so that you understand what is going on. It's a bit of a chore, especially as once you've set it up you'll simply leave it to its devices until the next time you need to set something up on it - and then you'll have forgotten most of what you'd learned! Moral of the story - keep the manual handy. :-)

Post Number: 3
Thanks man, worked great...:-)

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3108
Hey, great news! Glad to be of service.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help