Speed variance on Pro-Ject Debut III?

Username: Chad_parkhill

Post Number: 5
My apologies for posting two new questions in such a short amount of time, but I have a fairly pressing question about the Pro-Ject Debut III that doesn't appear to be answered anywhere on this site (or elsewhere!).

I've heard only uniformly good things about the Debut III, but one online review stopped me in my tracks, since it mentioned that there can be speed variance issues with the table. Sure enough, I had a look at the specs on the Pro-Ject site and there's a speed variance of +/- 0.8%.

Now this worries me, because I know I can hear the difference between a correctly-pitched record and one that's out by 0.8 of a percent. It's not much, but it is noticeable, and since I want to turn my vinyls into digital audio, I really need to get the pitch and tempo correct. So, my question is, has anyone here experienced such extreme fluctuations in speed with the Pro-Ject system? Or is that a nominal value, with the actual functioning fluctuation much lower? Will a speedbox help with this issue?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7112
The Speed Box will help but it won't be perfect...it's a belt drive table, comes with the territory.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10412
.8 is a lot.
Maintain the belt and add the speedbox anyhow, I would.
See from there.
Clean the belt and add a small amount of talcum powder to it, shake off the loose powder. Just maintain it, should be fine.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10413
Parkhill, where, Chad?

Post Number: 6
As in, where is the name from, or where do I reside?

The former is from England (my father's side of the family can trace their lineage to officers on the first fleet) and the latter is Brisbane, Australia.

Post Number: 7
Art: I just received an email from the dealer I'm approaching, and the product specs for the speed box indicate that it reduces the speed variance to +/-0.001%. This is quite a relief, to say the least.

Thanks all for your help!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7120
Excellent Chad...enjoy!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10415
Just a common name, Chad, so I wondered.
The speedbox will serve you well.

Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us