Please help with speaker hook-up

Username: Smart1002

Post Number: 1
OK so I have a question (keep in mind that i know next to nothing about speakers). I have an old(maybe 7 years) speaker system, with a cd changer, radio, blah balh, as well as two small speakers and two large ones. Now, the reciever part is completely dead (don't ask) so I was wondering if I could hook up the speakers to my iPod somehow. The problems: a) the wires coming from these speakers are two wires (just like bare metal wire). Is there any adapter to hook these up to an iPod? b) Neither the large nor the small speakers are powered (ie. there is no AC coming from them) Is it at all possible to use these with an iPod? somehow i doubt it. If there is a way, please tell me how (what do i need, where do i get it, how do i set it up) thanx!

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1221
Not without replacing the receiver part. That is where the speakers receive their power from; the output from an iPod just won't cut it.

Post Number: 2
OK thnx...there is no sort of amp or something that i could plug my iPod and the speakers into?

Post Number: 3
OK thnx. There is no sort of amp or something that i could plug my iPod and the speakers into?

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1223
Potentially. Depends on the speakers in question.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2818
"There is no sort of amp or something that i could plug my iPod and the speakers into?"

There is. Its called a receiver or integrated amp. An iPod isn't going to power anything other than a set of headphones.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10325
Or a powered dock.

Post Number: 4
so it is impossible to hook my iPod up to these speakers? I knew from the beginning that the iPod alone would not be able to run the speakers, but is there no way to get a separate "box" to power them and plug in the iPod?

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1225
It depends on the speakers. If they're conventional speakers, you can get an integrated amplifier or receiver capable of pushing them. If they're designed to work with a specific amplifier as part of a "home theater in a box", you may need to contact the manufacturer to see what your options are.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us