How true are frequency specs?

Username: Pete81m

Post Number: 4
Hi everyone. I've got a question about the accuracy of low frequency specs on speakers. I own a pair of bookshelf speakers that I use in the studio. They have 8 inch woofers and apparently they can reach 35HZ. I also have a set of PA speakers with 12 inch woofers that go down to 50HZ. I always thought the larger the woofer the deeper the bass. So why is it that the 8 inch speakers produce deeper bass?

One other question... the bookshelfs run off binding posts on my amp and the PA speakers run off the regular 6.5 stereo connections on my amp. Can I run both sets of speakers at the same time on the one amp? The amp is capable of running 4 ohms so I am guessing it would run all the speakers at 4 ohms. Correct?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12636

I don't know what a "regular 6.5 stereo connection" is. But you should be able to run all the speakers simultaneously if your volume requirements aren't very high. You don't even give me a clue what receiver you have so consult your owner's manual for specifics. And there's no need to supply me with the receiver model number now. I don't have specs in my head. Just consult your owner's manual.

Speaker specs are essentially worthless - ignore them for the most part. Specified frequency response means nothing in your room and nominal impedance can be misleading. Different drivers work differently in the lowest frequencies and the enclosure ultimately determines the bass extension. The same driver in a different box would have a different frequency response.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2713
Elaborating on part of what Jan said, the frequency response specs aren't reliable to due room interaction. The measurements taken by the manufacturer are best case scenarios, because they're usually measured in anechoic chambers. In these chambers, there are no reflections, nodes, etc.

In the real world, everything in a room effects and alters the frequency response that gets to your ears. Sounds are bounced off of walls, absorbed by carpets and couches, and so on. Items in the room vibrate at different frequencies, which adds further sound to the system.

Hence the reason why people buying speakers should audition them in thier home.

Then there's the limits of the gear powering the speakers, and the source providing the initial signal.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10227
I had a pair of speakers that were rated for 34Hz. This spec is in a specific space, with a specific sample sound.
I never got evenclose to that low, until I tacked some fabric on the wall behind the speaks and moved them within 12" of the surface of the wall. Then I got the lower bass. The rest was a mess, mind you, but it was achieved.
Bad room! Bad! But you cannot send a room to it's room.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1284
"But you cannot send a room to it's room."

That would be a Nuckism.

Bass traps work better than some tacked fabric FWIW.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1139
speakers that have the same specs will sound different..... they can and will have different deviations in various parts of the frequency spectrum (hence the +/- part)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us