Harman Kardon 4000

Username: Albaro

Post Number: 1
HI all
New here. I just purchased a HK 4000 amp I connected it to my 10 year old Kenwood home theater receiver in a jack where it reads "adaptor". I do not note any difference in the speakers (opposed to having the speaker connected to the receiver) when I turn up the volume on the amp. Furthermore I cannot control the volume from the receiver it is only controled from a small button on the back of the amp. I tried the 45 watts per channel setup and I tried the bridged mode 100 x 2. Still no difference. I tried 2 different pairs of speakers one pair 70w the other pair 150 watts. Am I doing something wrong?

Post Number: 2
PS if i recall correctly the amp should make my apeakers thump slightly when I turn it off or on no? I dont even hear this.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
'Adaptor' is not used to hook up an external amp. You need pre amp outputs.

Post Number: 3
SO I should get a receiver that reads pre amp on the back panel? Thanks

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
At this point you need one of two things. Buy either a pre amplifier to drive the power amp you now own or buy a totally new reciever with the power and quality you are looking for. A reciever is a combination of three components in one chasis; a tuner, a pre amplifier which controls the signal and a power amplifier which provides the wattage. Buying a receiver and using the HK as the power amp is a waste of money. There are benefits to separates as opposed to a reciever, you can look further through this section to find more information. It is not impossible to find a reciever that will give the same performance as a separate amplifier/pre amp combination but is difficult and very uncommon, particularly at the lower end of the price spectrum. There are no recievers that actually match separates for flexibiltiy in system building. I would suggest you get a new pre amplifier or if $ become an issue check the used market for a good deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us