Two Receivers connected to one set of speakers

Nathan Brown
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone,

Recently ,I acquired an A/V receiver P.E.53 which IMHO is very decent for Movies, However, I am not very pleased with its performance when playing music so I have decided to purchase a Rotel 1050 stereo receiver. My question is...I invested $1500.00 on a pair of front tower speakers (which allow for bi-wiring) so could it be possible to connect permanently both receivers to these set of speakers without damaging any of the components ? Hope is not a too stupid question.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
No, don't do it. You cannot have two amps feeding one speaker without destroying both amps at some time. The choices you have in descending order are:
1) Put a quick disconnect, banana plugs are meant for this function, on cables from the speaker and make the connection at the reciever when you want to switch. This is the safest way to achieve your desired ends and allows for little to no possibility of error that could damage anything and allows for best sound. Alternately if the cost of speaker cable is not significant you could buy two sets of cables and make the switch at the speaker. If this is done you MUST be certain the amplifiers are not on when you connect and disconnect the cables and remain off when they are not being used.
2) If you feel comfortable with a switch in the speaker line you can purchase a simple four pole, double throw switch (the double throw gives you a dead spot in the center where the recievers can't see one another) that you can permanently solder into the speaker cables. Most people don't like the idea of a switch in the speaker line but this is the best solution for convenience that will give negigible degradation to the sound. The solder connection must be good and if you cannot do this yourself and have no one who can this option is out. This type switch can be purchased at any well stocked electronics supply store and should be as high an amperage rating as practicable.
3) Buy instead a Rotel pre amp amd use it for music sources. Run a cable from the tape out jacks (do not use pre amp out, those jacks are controlled by the volume control) to the tape in on the A/V reciever and use the reciever as a, more or less, passive pre amp. Tape circuits have very little circuitry in them and are the best choice for getting mostly the sound of the pre amp through with minimal damage.

Nathan Brown
Unregistered guest
J. Vigne,
I truly appreciate your input. I have been reading a lot on this Website and have a lot of repect for your comments and knowledge.

I think I will go with option # 1 as I just love the sound of the Rotel 1050 and my mind is already set on it.
Nate

J. vigne
Unregistered guest
Good choice, just make certain every thing is turned off when doing and undoing any connection and do not give the wires any chance to touch + to - when the amp(s) are turned on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us