Pioneer VSX-53TX Receiver - Problem #1

Username: Ocinator

Post Number: 1
I just bought my Pioneer VSX-53TX Receiver last weekend.

First off I have Jmlabs speakers. I have done the
auto test where the receiver goes from front left speaker->center->front right speaker...etc. The sound test went well.

Hopefully you can answer my question about the surround "rear" speakers.

The disappointing thing is when I'm playing dvds (Training Day, Swat,Bad Boys 2,etc). The rear speakers sound pretty weak. Not the thing I've experienced on the display models before I purchased them.

Under movie modes I had the initial setting to PL II Movie (aka 5.1 channel surround sound mode) I was "NOT" getting any sound from the rear speakers so I decided to give the other settings a shot and came back with either Neo-6 or 7-D Theater settings that gave me some sound but it's really low. If I place my ear right next to the rear speaker I can hear the sounds but it's really weak.

I've been tweaking with the speaker settings for the surround back speakers. What is the difference between small X1 and small X2?

The current setting I have under surround sound settings is

front->small
center->small
surround->small
surrback->smallx1
subwoofer->yes

Note: I have only a 5.1 speaker set up right now however if I set "no" to the "surround" setting the "surrback" gets automatically set to "no".

Any help or setting advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 230
Uh yea, you should plug your surrounds to surrounds, not surround back.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 18
ocinator-

Which jmLabs do you have? I'm thinking of buying the Chorus 716 S mains and the CC700S center.

Just wondering what you paid and if you like them.

Anonymous

I have a Pioneer Elite 49TX before and this is what I did:
1. I raise the volume by 3 or sometimes to 5 against the fronts manually
2.set the surround to yes cause if you set to no, automatically, it figure out that if you don't have a surrround, then there is no such thing as surround back ( center back ), then go to surround back and set it to none.
your setting for sub is fine.
hope this help, let me know.

Username: Ocinator

Post Number: 2
@landroval thank you for that tip it seems I got my surrounds mixed up with my surround back.

I thought the surrounds were the 6th and 7th speakers in a 7.1 setup. But it's the surround backs that are the 6th and 7th speakers. I feel so silly now.

@Rob I got the JMlab sib and cub home theater set. But the owner was nice enough to allow me to substitute the center speaker for the CC700S model for a modest increase. Out the door price for everything was $1150.

The CC700S model is excellent. The dialog conservations are excellent in movies. Which is the main reason I opted to get a home theater system.

The Chorus 716 S I've heard the display models but if your thinking about getting 716 S I would definitely recommend you get the 726 S model instead. The 726 S just simply dominates.

The owner offered me the option to substitute the front sib speakers for the 726 S models for $500 more. But after hearing the 726 S models I was scared to buy them simply because they are way too powerful and plus I still needed to buy a receiver.

Now that I have a 7.1 receiver if I feel the need for two large front speakers I have the room for the upgrade.

@Anonymous your 1st tip I didn't follow. But your 2nd one made sense after I read landroval post. Silly how am I suppose to let you know when you post as anonymous. Ummm...well I guess you can check this thread for my updates. ^_^

Thanks for the quick replies and advice this a great message board.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 430
Have you used a sound level meter to set your speaker levels? I would do so if not. IMO this is the only way to properly set up a system. At least it's the only way I trust.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us