Mini or Componet

Taylor
Unregistered guest
I have just under $1000 to spend on a CD system, should I get a Mini/Micro System or should I buy a seperate CD player, revciever, and speakers. please help

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 549
I presume (since you want a cd system) that you will be playing in stereo and not surround.

I would go for separates, rather than a mini system. You could also get a good surround AV receiver and just get a cd player and a good pair of speakers for now. That way you could add a dvd player and other speakers for surround in the future.

Another option is getting a good used NAD -or other brand integrated stereo amp (if you don't need a tuner) and then get a pair of speakers and a cd player. Or if you want a tuner also, NAD (and a few other companies) have some good used stereo receivers (which have the tuner, the amp, and the pre-amp) all in one component.

Audiogon.com is a good site for used equipment. But you can always buy a good and inexpensive new cd player and good used or new bookshelf speakers.

Axiom, Aperion, and Ascend are 3 good speaker companies that sell quality speakers online with a 30 day return warranty. They all sell good bookshelf speakers from $250-$350 a pair. And all of them will be far better than any mini system speakers---I really love the Ascend's that sell for about $330. You can get a very good cd player for $100-$175. Too bad Outlaw Audio hasn't released their new RR2150 stereo receiver yet--from all reports it will be great, but it probably won't be available until fall. When it is released later in the year the specs should be roughly the following:

Power: 2x75 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 20 Hz -- 20 KHz, 0.07% THD, both channels driven
2x130 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 20 Hz -- 20KHz, 0.07% THD, both channels driven
Inputs: Tuner, Video, DVD/CD, Tape, Aux, USB, Front Panel Aux
Outputs: Stereo L/R preamp outputs, L/R tape output
Processor Loop: In/Out via RCA Jacks
USB Input: Plug 'n' Play compatible with PC and Macintosh audio
Tuner: High sensitivity, 30 preset memories
Bass Management: Analog bass management and re-direction with subwoofer output, defeatable via rear-panel switch
Remote: Programmable four device (including RR 2150) system remote. IR In/Out jacks for system control
Power Cord: IEC Removable Type
Dimensions (HxWxD): 6" x 17.25" x 22"

Cost should be between $549-$595 and also have the 30 day return policy.

Of course you could get a used NAD stereo receiver for less, but without all the nice features.

And Axiom also has nice bookshelf speakers for about $250. This should leave you well under budget whichever way you go. Or you can get a pair of good used Paradigm (or other brand) monitor bookshelf speakers at Audiogon.com

Username: Mark_of_cenla

Plaucheville, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 5
I would go for components too, even though I do own one mini system (in my kitchen because of space requirements). You should be able to get a very good DVD/CD player, receiver, and speakers. I would spend up to $200 on the source, $300 on the receiver, and $500 on the speakers; but that's just me. Peace.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us