EPI A500

Username: Peterfriis

Post Number: 1
Anyone know anything about the EPI A500s? Are these a good set of vintage speakers? I am looking for a pair of speakers to go along with my recently acquired Sherwood S-7200 receiver and my Phillips turntable.

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12340

EPI was another Cambridge, MA brand of acoustic suspension speakers that followed the lead of AR, KLH, Advent, etc. The Sherwood will drive them but not to loud levels and the sound will be somewhat dull overall. Keep the speakers away from corners and up of the floor.

Username: Peterfriis

Post Number: 2
Why will the sound be dull and why will it not be loud? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to understand why this is. do i need some sort of additional amplifier to get the right sound? I also have the chance to get a pair of Pioneer HPM-40s. Are they good speakers? Would they be more suitable?

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12341

The Pioneers are more sensitive, so they will play slightly louder on the Sherwood. They are also more emphatic in their high frequency response so they will sound "brighter" on the Sherwood. Some would classify the HPM40's as more of a rock speaker than the EPI's. The EPI's are the more well balanced speakers of the two selections. Which you like is not something I can predict. The Sherwood itself is relatively low powered and has a rather "soft" sound. The 7200 was not one of Sherwood's best receiver/amplifiers. No, you do not want to put another amplifier with the Sherwood.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us