Integrated Amplifier

Username: Nishan22

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to build out my components to match a new set of Magnepan 12. I understand that these speakers eat up power. Anyone have any thoughts on a good integrated amp that is $1000 or less?

Thanks

Username: Panditr

New DelhiIndia

Post Number: 3
Nishant buddy, which amp did you settle on? Also are you based out of India or the US? If India how/where did you get the MG 12s here in India?

Regards
Rahul Pandit

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 263
Get plenty of low-impedence power, just like you've been told.
What amp you get depends on 2 main things:
What's available and if you are comfortable with pre-owned equipement.

Where did you get the Maggies? They should have some amps for you to try.

As for used, Audiogon is a good bet, but you need a direction 1st.
The list of hi-power integrateds is fairly short.
My original MG-1's (manufactured late 70's) were perfectly happy with about 80/panel but really opened up with about 3x that level.

Username: Wankston

Oshawa, On Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi I'm new on this board but couldn't help reading the forum. A nice integrated amp (I own one) is the Accuphase E-202. Its a vintage Integrated amp made in Japan and was received very well by the Audiophile community. Incredibly well made and 100w/ch. Has that smooth sound of the 70's hi end amps. much closer to the tube sound. I have just come across a little old guy with a warehouse full of vintage type equipment ..some high end ...some mid field. But amazingly he has some great stuff. I'm trying to get him to work with me to make some of this equipment available. He was successful in the 70's and 80's and then the digital and crap era of electronics came along and he went flat. I truly think he is overwhelmed with all the stock he has and hasn't done much since his successful years. I was astounded when I saw what he had.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12247
Welcome Dan.
I drive by there just about every week, lets get your friend to open up the doors, eh?

Oshawa, On Canada

Post Number: 2
Hi all,
I just found out that my Accuphase E202 is going to need a little more than a tuneup. I have not been listening to a good 2 channel set up for probably 30 years. I just dug out and re foamed a double set of Large Advents I had stored and was about to set up a Thorens TD125 and sme arm and play some good vinyl when the service guy called with the news. So...You gents seem to have given some good advice to those who've requested it and I thought you might help me out. What could I look for these days that will give me the kind of sound that I used to hear? If some of you guys remember some names like Quad, SAE, MacIntosh, Citation 16 and my Accuphase. I know there is some terrific equipment out there today but I sure loved the sound I was hearing in the 70's. What should I look for that has come along in the last 25 yrs that I could be bought for under $500 or so (amps & preamps or Integrated. If anybody has a good vintage amp at a good price I am interested. Thanks for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 567
Many of those names are still around (certainly MacIntosh, Accuphase, and Quad), however I think you may find that the 70's sound has all but disappeared from their current gear. From what I've read, the newer Accuphase gear has lost that warm'ish nature in favor of a more balanced presentation. More accurate perhaps, but the nostalgia is lost for those still searching for it.

You should probably spend some time at a few audio shops listening to what's out there now, and how it aligns with what you're looking for. If you don't hear what you want, the used market may be the only place to find what you seek, via some vintage gear. But in the words of Elmer Fudd, be vewy, vewy, cowfull.

Oshawa, On Canada

Post Number: 3
Hi Chris,

thanks for the reply. Don't get me wrong, I agree with your comments
regarding accuracy. I have heard some of the newer stuff and its real
good. But to get it I'd have to sell my first born child and my wife
would frown on that. The high end equipment of today is unfortunately
out of my price range
and that's why I was thinking high end vintage equipment. I have seen
a couple of pieces such as Adcom that seem affordable if bought used
and I see a lot of Crown equipment around (used to be a good name in
my audio days of the 70's) but when I see crowns advertised as 2000
watts I get a bit suspicious of the quality. When people start hyping
equipment by their peak wattage with out much emphasis on distortion
specs it makes me feel that they are being sold to buyers who don't
understand what they are buying.

I really would like something that will give me at the least what I
used to hear or if not better in the 100watt per channel class. As I
said I like the sound of the new high end equipment (it is very tight
and clean with great imaging but the stuff I listened to was way
beyond my budget. I am long past the hobby years but would really love
to make those advents sound like they used to in the sound room. At
that time we were running speakers like kef 104's, B&W, Mourdant Short, Klipch and the original Dayton Wrights if you remember them. Boston Acoustics hadn't been born and Infinity and Bose were new kids on the block. Hate dating myself like that but so be it. There are a lot of great speakers since then and there are very good buys out there but its a power source that I need desperately. I have some B&Ws and a pair of JR Roberts kicking around at home but no power equipment. So...if you can suggest some equipment that has come along since my listening days that you could suggest and is priced affordably I'd be grateful to know about it.
My thoughts are NAD, Adcom, maybe some HK stuff, or Rotel. I see some Carver amps at sort of budget prices. I seem to recall that these amps were highly rated at one time. Any thoughts?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12396
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/128491-rotel_integrated_amp/

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 569
Dan, do you know of someone, or a shop locally, that you could take an older piece for servicing ?

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 64
A friend of mine has a pair of Maggies 1.6. He uses a NAD c372. His room is about 12x 20 x8. The c372 should be able to be gotten at a rather good price now that the c375bee has been released. The sound is great. Give them plenty of room to breathe. Your friends will be looking for an excuse to come over.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us