Dual Turntable's..Any Good?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1235
Help me out here turntable experts. Are the Dual turntable's any good. What about the 1229 model? I can get a mint one for a really good price. I know Rega, Thorens and such are good. But not sure about the Dual. Any comments would be appreciated.

Check it out...Art, this is my Yard Sale site.lol

http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Classic-Dual-1229-Turntable -W0QQAdIdZ39396130

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6393
Hey Nick, Duals are a good ole turnatble for cheap. If your not going t pitch out the bucks for a new table the Duals are often a pretty ggod start. They are not as good as most old Thorens or Rega's etc...but not terrible. That 1229 looks pretty good. On the vintage site I often vist they are well though of...especially the belt drives.

Join audiokarma and ask around...it's all for fun.

I'm listening to my new Yamaha CR-820 receiver which replaced my beloved Sansui 6060 in the office system rotation (the Sui is still around, just taking a couple of months off). My Dual is hooked up to it and sounds pretty good. The Yamaha phono stage is petty darn good, better than the 6060.

Go get em Nick!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1236
Art- Thanks, I emailed the guy telling him I would like to buy it. For 60 bucks??lol Can't go wrong right? I will join AudioKarma for sure. Thanks again.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6396
Pretty much a consensus at AK that the 1229 is Dual's best idler drive table.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12311

Nick - If you've already bought the Dual, you can ignore this. If you haven't bought the Dual, my opinion would be to save for the Rega. I've sold plenty of Duals, owned a few and believe they are good budget tables. In this case, the budget should be set a little higher. The only non-recommendation I would have for the Rega P1 would be to someone with perfect pitch. The only recommendation I could justifiably make for the Dual is you'll have a turntable to use until you can afford the Rega or if you have plenty of 78's you want to hear.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6398
New budget tables are definitely better than the Duals. The P1, Debut III and MMF2.1 (there is now a 2.2 which I have not heard) are not enough better to my ears to justify the difference in price. I owned the Debut and it is perhaps just a bit better than my old Dual 505-3.

Ofcourse that 505 is whole lot easier to maintain than an old idler Dual for sure. I Think you really start separating from the Duals at the P2, Xpression III, and MMF5 level. They justify the difference.

I recommend the Duals to folks who aren't really sure about the record thing and just want put their toes in the water a bit. They are fun, but certainly not an end destination.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1238
Got ya. Sounds good. I called my dealer today and he said He can get me the new P3-24 for 635 CDN, taxes in, which I believe is a good deal. I think?? So even the P2 would smoke that Dual as well? I can get the Rega tables for fairly cheap. Brand new. So I think I am just going to go that route. How much is the Rega Fono? My dealer carries the old and the new NAD phono, but I really don't like either one. I am new to LP, but the NAD phono amps seem tuned very quiet and lack in resolution. I really want to stick to Rega for all my sources, as my dealer only carries Rega and NAD turntables. The NAD's are Rega P2's rebadged with a cheaper cartridge I believe, so I don't want the NAD based on the fact they are trying to cheap out on the Rega stuff. So Rega it is then. Before I go listen anyone care to share the differences Between the Rega tables? Do they come with everything I need as far as stylus and cartridge or whatever...lol I really don't know anything when it comes to Turntables. As always I know you guys will come through. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2498
The NADs are rebadged Regas. Since Rega has upgraded their tables, I'm not sure which NAD is which Rega. NAD isn't cheaping out the Regas as far as I know. I don't think there's any difference other than badges. The only Rega that comes with a standard cartridge is the P1.

The NAD PP2 isn't up to your gear and either the P2 or P3. The Rega Fono is very good, and should be a starting point, depending on cartridge. Being in Canada, you may want to look into the SimAudio LP3. But all of that depends on your cartridge.

$635 CDN for a new Rega P3-24? In the states they retail for $895 without a cartridge. Do I need to tell you my thoughts on value for money here?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1239
LOL Stu I figured 635 tax in was a sick price. My Dealer also sold me the Apollo for 1200 taxes in Cdn as well. He basically takes off roughly 2 to 3 hundred dollars on everything I buy, because I send him so much business, and I think he respects the fact that I come in wanting quality gear.

So Rega P3-24 a good idea im guessing then? SimAudio gear is so hot right now, especially in Canada as it seems to be spreading like a wild fire. Why doesn't Bryston make Turntables yet? The SimAudio LP3 looks amazing but my dealer doesn't carry it, so I think it has to be a Rega. Any huge improvements going up to the P4? If im going to jump into LP's, I want to buy something that I am going to be happy with right away, and keep have it be the only turntable I own until I am dirt. The problem is this is a whole new area for me, and I need to do a lot of reading up on it, and listen to you guys most of all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1240
I can get the NAD T555 (Rega P2,last edition) for a cheap price new with cartridge and everything. Is this a worthy turntable? What are your thoughts on it?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9829
The P3-24 is a very capable table, no doubt about it. he only step might be a Dynavector cart, but live with the first one for a while and get your feet wet, Nick.
Spend $ on vinyl first.
Hit the yard sales in the spring,scour estate sales (Mike W) and keep your head up at used book and music stores.
Get the music first, man.

And thanks to Stryvn for the dozen lps yesterday.
I will be back to beg a few more on Thursday!
And drink his beer!

A fine lad, fellas!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6399
The P3-24 with the power supply and a Dynavector 10x5 is absolutely killer...ain't cheap, but for most folks that's as far as you'll need to go with a table.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2500
A Bryston turntable would be pretty interesting. I haven't heard the SimAudio LP3, but everything I've heard about it, including from a very respected dealer who doesn't sell Sim, says its THE phono pre-amp at its price to beat. Bryston makes an awesome phono pre-amp, but its absurdly expensive. They have a lot of the same circuitry as the ones built into their pre-amps and integrateds.

The last P2 was a very good turntable. It was the benchmark for the price for the longest time. The new P2 is significantly better, as is the new P3. Both are the benchmark as far as I'm concerned.

The P5 (there's no P4) is a lot better than the P3, but for a price. Both are a very good deal for their respective prices. I'm a huge fan of the P3/TTPSU/Dynavector 10x5 combo. As Art said, for most people its as far as they'll need to go.

Regas are probably the most upgradable tables out there. Everyone and their brother makes some sort of mod for them. If you're into tweaking things, the Rega could be the way to go.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1242
"The P3-24 with the power supply and a Dynavector 10x5 is absolutely killer."

Thats what I will have then.haha. Thanks guys, any other info you could add would be great as always. Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us