Need help with Yamaha RX-1100

Username: Bassmasta

Minnesota ( ...

Post Number: 1
Hello all, Im new to home stereo Equipment but had an opportunity to purchase an older Yamaha Rx-1100 receiver for my garage system and I have a few questions. My receiver is I believe a six channel (Has six black and six red )speaker outlets on it. Is there a brand of speakers that is built to be loud and lots of bass as opposed to clean and clear audio reproduction? Im not talking ghetto bass more in the lines of clean tigh hard hitting bass
Second question. Is it ok to run a subwoofer on 1 or 2 of the channels without fear of overheating? What brand of subwoofer is recommended. Final question. Can I shut off the power going through 1 channel and run a powered subwoofer or an additional amp? Thanks for the help and suggestions. G

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9790
Cerwin Vega or Klipch.

Ignore the subs and whatnot with 12" CV.
Just run stereo.

Minnesota ( ...

Post Number: 2
My Manual says 100 or 125 watts per channel at .015 thd. Does that mean 100 watts to each black and red set(channel). Would you recommend a certain speaker model? Is it better to have speakers that require more power (500) watts a piece or speakers with a lower power requirement. Would it over work the Amp to have all 6 speakers running at the same time, ususally at higher volumes. Say 3 pairs of CV RE 30's. Thank you very much. Grant

Gold Member

Post Number: 9792
CM, you are looking for speakers with a high sensitivity,like 93db/wm or above.
CV speakers...well you need only a pair for a garage.
If you want more, start a garage band.
And invite me over.

'We would jam in Joe's garage'...

Minnesota ( ...

Post Number: 3
Nuck, with your help, you are welcome over anytime. lol
Couple of more questions and then I will leave you alone.
If you are familiar with my receiver, could you tell me how I could hook up an amp or three to it? Would I be better off getting a receiver with no pwer? I would like to get 3 sets of RE-30's with about 250-300 watts to each. I used to have a car stereo that was measured at 143 db and I would like to get the same feeling in my garage. I know its probably funny, and I would never really listen to it like that but people dont buy Ferraris and Lambos so they can drive around town at 200mph either. More or less for a conversation piece when my buddys come over for poker night. Thought they would get a charge out of it. lol "Better to have and not need than to need and not have". G

Gold Member

Post Number: 9793
CM, the answer is in the speakers. Ihave no issue with being able to go LOUD and have fun, CV offers a large range of speaks from 93-100 db sensitivity.

I can get very loud, but with a LOT more money and finesse.

Mike W here can get extremely loud and good.

If it is in a garage, go for big CV speaks and save the extra effort.
Multiple speakers will just muddy it up and make life difficult.
2 will do, trust me.
And the receiver ain't no powerhouse, so just go with the speakers.
CY Classic series are good if you want to spend money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us