New kit.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9759
So I worked with a guy this week and he is pretty cool.
He is wanting to build a stereo for under 5k, replacing some very questionable stuff that he has now.
I already told him the basics, and that he has to get out and listen. However, this is his budget, and in keeping up with the newer stuff, how do we build him a kit under 5k?
He is not a phile, and he wants to be able to play loud. I can hear it outside with the windows open loud.
The setup will be cd, phono, Integrated amp and speakers.
I have not introduced him to PRaT, or anything else. I suggested he listen to as much as possible first, and see if he hears any differance at all between systems. Bring your wife is a must.

What think we?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1153
What was he listening to before Nuck? The gear I mean.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9761
A receiver, 20 yr old technics table and CV 8" speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1155
oh wow...so pretty much anything that adds up to 5K will be an improvement. Im going to see what the more experience guys have to say first.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 671
I'm pretty happy with my under 5k kit

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 640
Have you steered him towards Outlaw yet for the 2-channel? That may be a good start.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1156
Cheap too. Geez for two channel stuff what about a full Rega setup? Can easily be done for 5k. Has great PRaT obviously, and is musical as well. I have heard some companies that base their product around PRaT but sound like crap. PRaT is important, but only when the product sounds good. Rega would qualify. Cambridge Audio? What does his local stores carry?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6219
Seems that one of the top qualifications for this system is LOUD...Rega doesn't do the kind of loud that Nuck would mean by LOUD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1157
lol Perhaps something with Horns that can tear your face off? Some Reference Klipch?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9762
He wants to be able to do loud, yes, but that is not the whole shebang. The folks love their music and have 500 or lp's.
The vinyl must be good, I suggested he look into a P3-24.
I suggested he look at Cambridge as well, 840A+C.
Speakers maybe the MA RS6, but for him, he may need a sub to get it done. HSU STF2?
How loud and/or dynamic are the RS6?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 642
Nuck, mine go plenty loud. I've turned them up to volumes that used to be painful when listening to my Paradigms. Even at silly volumes they still maintain their clarity and smoothness.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2472
For loud and good, Stryvn's system is very hard to beat. So long as the room is big enough to let the Paradigms breathe. Throw a Pro-Ject or Rega turntable into the mix as well.

Or go for a complete Rega or even Naim system. For $5K you could probably get a Nait5i, CD5i, and either Linn Katans or Rega R5. Totem Arros would also come in under budget but may have a problem with SPLs. The Katans may also have SPL issues.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6235
Not sure about the Linn's but the R5's don't do loud. They aren't meant to take a beating. I doubt the Linn's are either. I guess loud is subjective...my wife thinks the R5's are loud enough....Nuck, I don't think so!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1159
Stu has a good point with the Paradigm Studio 100's, they go insanely loud, and sound good while doing it.

Nuck- The new MA RS6's are very dynamic. For a small tower, hold a very smooth bottom end, with plenty of punch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9769
I somehow(DUH) forgot about Stryvn's kit and it's qualities.And yes, I bet that Rotel/Paradigm kit would do really well.
The phono stage is built in and a P3 or so would work just great!
I will send that along.
Gawd I remember how good that setup was at Stryvn's place! Of course he fed me beers and steak and...well, if you visit the guy, he takes care of you!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2475
Imagine what your friend will feed you if you put his system together the right way.

Ultimately, loud really depends on the size of the room. In my dealer's room, the all Rega setup with R5s, and Naim setup with Katans got louder than anyone would realisticly need them to be. Its about an average to maybe slightly small room. The same systems may struggle in something like a living room or great room opened to another room.

If he's got the money and the space, Rotel/Paradigm system hands down IMO.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us