Help me choose from these speakers please.

Username: Amish

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 1
I'm getting ready to upgrade my entire home theater system and would like to hear your opinion. First off I'll give you some quick info:

Receiver I own: onkyo TX-SR605 (I recently replaced my old Kenwood 5.0 receiver)

Room size: 23' x 17'
This system will be 75% home theater and 25% music listening. My music taste is varied. From classical to metal, country to disco...you get the idea.

I'm replacing all of my speakers and this is where I need some help.

Please tell me which setup you would choose:

Polk Audio RTi8 (fronts)$364 shipped (sale price)
Polk Audio CSi3 (center)$150 (marked down)
Polk Audio RTi4 (rear)$199 shipped
Bic H100 12" (sub)$249.99 + shipping (sale)

OR

Athena LS500 (front) $300
Athena LSC100 (center) $100
Athena LS100 (rear) $100
BIC H100 (sub) $249

I've been hearing good things about these Athena's so I'm really up in the air.

Which would you buy?

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1135
Have you listened to any of the above speakers? Usually my purchasing decisions are made based on *my* experience with the product, not someone else's experience.

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 2
I have no way to audition them so I'm looking for other's opinions. I figure most of you guys are more in the 'know' than I am.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1136
Then find something you can audition in some manner or another.

I must say though, I do find it *extremely* hard to believe though that you have no way to audition a set of Polk speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 14
Chuck,
Stephen is right. You should go to a local hi-fi store and listen for yourself. Don't limit yourself to those speakers. BIC subs for one are not at the same level as the Polks and Athenas. They are borderline appliance subs.

The only ears you should trust are your own. Only time to buy mail order is after you have listened to the speakers yourself. You wouldn't want to have buyer's remorse on that much money.

Keep an eye out for Paradigm speakers. Pretty darn good bang for the buck if you like the way they sound. I have a set of minimonitors (Titans and Atoms) with the PDR12 sub and a center speaker. My room is 17x19 with 11 ft ceilings. It's pretty loud and full-range.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 606
If you have your mind set on purchasing speakers over the web without hearing them, at least make sure the dealer you bought from has a generous return policy. Even then, you're usually dinged for shipping if you don't like 'em.

Paradigm are good budget speakers.

If you're shopping out of big box stores, give Klipsch a listen.

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 3
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I have listened to the Polks already. I have no place to listen to the Athena's though.

I own a set of Klipsch speakers and they are being used in my living room.

I heard some good things about the Athena's and looked into them. Prices are so good that I became interested.

My current Home Theater system in my den consists of DCM loud speakers (http://www.dcmspeakers.com/index.htm), Front, center and rears.

I've been quite happy with them but I'm looking to upgrade to something nicer.

The bottom line is I'll most likely enjoy what ever I buy compared to what I have.

I'm looking at PSB Alpha speakers now.

Thanks for the input.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1799
None of the above.

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 4
What kind of a post is that? Your opinion I respect but at least give me an alternative.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6117
Chuck, I'm about to hit the sack and won't be here to reply in a few, sorry.

I believe you said you want to upgrade and at the same time you said you like your speakers.

First, do you think you can improve on whatever it is you like about your current speakers with the outlay and brands that you are suggesting here? I personally don't think so.

Think about what it is you like about the current speakers....

Are new speakers the answer? Could some other area of the chain give you the improvement you're after.

"The bottom line is I'll most likely enjoy what ever I buy compared to what I have."

What does that mean after you've stated that you've been pretty happy with them? Now the question becomes what don't you like about them? Again can you improve on what you have appreciably with your budget and with the brands you're looking at?

I'm confused. At this point and without any more information I'd say save some more money until you have enough to make a real improvement....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1800
Those are pretty good deals, but I'm just not a big Polk fan.

I would consider the Infinity Primus Series http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/1PrimusSeries.html or if you can push it a bit, the now discontinued Beta Series http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/1BetaSeries.html .

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 5
Art,

Yes you are correct I have been happy with my DCM's. The center is not seamless and really stands out compared to the floor standing DCMs and also the rear channel is weak. The rear speakers do not have good sq at all. The main fronts on the other hand sound great and I've been quite happy with them. Can I improve on them with the speakers I'm looking at? With out a doubt yes! I bought these DCM speakers over ten years ago and let me tell you, everything sucks about them except for the floor standing speakers which I love. They still do not have that quality sound that I've heard coming from other speakers including the Polk R50's I auditioned awhile back. The Polk's sounded so much nicer. Speaking of POLK R50's, they can be had for $59.99 each. Tell me that isn't a fantastic deal. I've heard these and though they do not have any low end compared to my DCM's the mid and highs sound beautiful to me. Much nicer than my DCM's for sure.

I'm looking for something different yes, but I'm also in need of something better and speakers that really blend well with each other. Something cleaner looking as well. My DCM loudspeakers are huge. each front speaker has a single 12" woofer, 5"3/4 mid-range and horn tweeter. Even the center speaker is huge. I'd love to have something thats a bit more sleek looking and set off the room while providing even better SQ.

I'm on a limited budget so I have been looking at entry level speakers of companies I feel offer a higher quality. Looking over DCM data sheets I'm not too impressed.

I'm not an audiophile. I just don't have the money to invest in the high end equipment. I just want to upgrade from what I have. I want to watch a bluray movie and be lost in the sound.

I have auditioned Polk and infinity as well as JBL and mirage. I've also auditioned Klipsch.

Of all those I liked the Klipsch and Mirage the best.

I own a set of Klipsch that are beautiful on the ears. I want something different though. I found a pair of Athena AS-F1's that I might pickup. Stereophile did a review of them quite some time ago and the review was good. I read that of all the Athena's that this is the one speaker to own.

I've read everything I can on these:
PSB Alpha T
Athena AS-F1
Athena LS-500
Polk RTi8
Keep in mind that I only started looking at these because people suggested them as being great speakers for the money.

I have a small budget to build a new ht system. The budget can not be expanded and I don't want to spend more either. $400 for receiver, $350 for fronts, $200 for center, $200 for rears, and $250 for the sub. $1400 total. If I can save money off that I will. The receiver is already paid for so thats $400 gone. That leaves $1000 for speakers and tbh I would like to cut that to around $750. In the end I just can't justify spending $500+ on just front speakers. Not going to happen.

I originally was going to buy a HTiB system and was talked out of that over at AVS. I've already upped my budget $700. I want the best bang for my buck. The room this sytem will be in is quite small at 397sq.ft. and I'm only using half of the room. The other half has a Air hockey table and hobbie area for my old lady. I think the speakers I'm looking at will be more than what I need for such a small space but I bet I'll enjoy them.

Sorry for rambling...

Chuck

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 610
That $750 budget for speakers includes the sub, right?

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 6
My speaker budget is $1000 and that would include buying a sub. Sure I'd like to spend closer to 750 but I don't think that is possible unless I spend the entire $750 on everything minus the sub.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1137
"Speaking of POLK R50's, they can be had for $59.99 each. Tell me that isn't a fantastic deal. I've heard these and though they do not have any low end compared to my DCM's the mid and highs sound beautiful to me
I have auditioned Polk and infinity as well as JBL and mirage. I've also auditioned Klipsch. Of all those I liked the Klipsch and Mirage the best. "

Good start here.

"I want something different though. I found a pair of Athena AS-F1's that I might pickup. Stereophile did a review of them quite some time ago and the review was good. I read that of all the Athena's that this is the one speaker to own. "

You might want to consider how many Stereophile reviews are bad. Don't get me wrong, Athena has made some great speakers. However, given that you can't test drive before you buy, I wouldn't recommend them given that there are a hundred other brands with products that get great reviews as well.

In any event, you've been given a respectable number of suggestions to look into. My advice is simple: given your high praise for the Polk R50, consider whether it is worth it to spend more on the speakers instead of diverting funds to a vastly superior subwoofer. Getting R50s for your fronts and rears and a matching center would leave a heck of a lot of budget left for sub after all.

Silver Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 205
Have you considered Hsu STF series subs? I'd get one of those with speakers Chris suggested.

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 7
My friend owns the Beta 50's, 20's and C360 center.
I have listened to them many times. He powers them off a high end HK. Amazing speakers. They have always been out of my price range though. In all fairness they still are. I will keep these in mind though.

Thanks for all your input. I have some thinking to do before I make my decision.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1801
The Primus are killer budget (as opposed to budget killer) speakers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6119
At your budget I'm with Christopher...the Infinity Primus will eat the Polks you like for lunch. They improve on every aspect of performance over the "R" Polks. Also a Hsu sub to go with makes nothing but good sense to me.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9725
Which DCM fronts?

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 8
Christopher Molloy, and Art,

Guys i just want to say thanks for the great input. You two made me step back and really think about what I want and not just what I want to spend. I have decided to buy:

Infinity Beta 40
Infinity Beta 20
Infinity Beta C360

I'm spending more money than I wanted but in the end I'm getting exactly what I know my ears will love. I have listened to these exact speakers so many times at my bud's house so I know exactly what I'm getting.

Again thank you for the sound advice. I'll be placing my order tomorrow.

Chuck

P.S.
Nuck,

To answer your question;

I'm currently running the DCM KX-Series Two.

DCM KX-12 (fronts)
DCM KX-6 (rears)
DCM KX-Center

You can check out the specs here in PDF format:
http://www.dcmspeakers.com/manuals/kx-series-two.pdf

The fronts have very deep bass when pushed hard and they can literally shake my entire house...They also have some crazy highs and mids. If not for the size of them, the look of them and the craptastic center i would continue to use them. As it is I'm ready for an upgrade.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6129
You are buying a product with excellent bang for the buck and beyond...congrats Chuck and enjoy!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 9738
I agree with the Infinity choice, on rec alone. These guys know about them.

So what happens to the DCM's all lonely in California?

ps, I might have driven past your place 2 weeks ago.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1806
The Beta 10 are a better match with the Beta 40 IMHO. The 20s are better with the 50s, but the 50s are sold out.

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 9
Yeah the 50's sold out yesterday. I called them up today and he had 2 pairs of cherry 40's left. I bought one pair.

I'm waiting till the 15th to order my rears and center. I just wasn't prepared to spend so much all at once.

So the Beta 10 is the better match? The difference in price is only $11 each. I usually prefer to buy the best for my money and I would have thought the 20 to be the better speaker.

At the same time I want this package to blend well together. If the 10 will blend better with the 40 then I'll buy the 10.

That said, would I be better off buying the Beta C250 instead of the Beta C360? Would the C250 be the better match tot he Beta 40?

Nuck,

The DCM's will be moved into my house in the living room. My Klipsch will move into the bedroom.

My new Infinity's will be going into my entertainment room, (a detached garage converted into a den).

I take it you live in California?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1807
My mistake, sorry, I got the numbers crossed.

The Beta 40, 20 & 360 all use the same 6.5" drivers and will meld together perfectly.

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 10
sweet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9743
Nope, Chuck. I am the forum nomad.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 11
You can strike up a camp in my front yard next time you are passing through. I'd let you stay in the house but my lady doesn't allow nomads in our home. I don't make the rules bud.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9745
Cool. See you in March.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2427
A glimpse into the future...

True to his word, Nuck visits Chuck in March.
And true to his word, Chuck lets him stay in the front yard...

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2428
Riverside is pretty nice in March. Not too hot, not too cold. Great camping weather

Gold Member

Post Number: 1808
Now that's funny.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 12
That is funny. lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6150
I see he brought his audio system with him...it appears well protected from the elements....now if only we could say the same for Nuck.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 13
Hey guys quick question. Would there be any adverse effect to placing my LCD tv on top of my Center channel speaker? (Beta C360).

As you can see in the picture There isn't a spot to put the center speaker as it's too big to sit in front of the TV and I don't want to buy a stand or shelf for above it. That is my last choice but will do it if I must.

Upload

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 619
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/437939.html

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 332
Hey. So on the above budget and speakers ( Sounds like a done deal but just for the fun of it) I would have gone this way;

1. Silverline Minuets for L-C-R ( total is 900).
2. Sub: Dayton Audio Powered Elite HSU8 ( 198.88)

Total 1100.

The Silverline Minuets are incredibly dynamic for their size and I spent some time with Alan Yun at CES demoing them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9749
Jeez, I go away for 1 day and I see this.
Quite funny, in fact.
Marc, that's a nice setup from the CES reviews.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 14
Thanks for the link Dave. Just what I needed to know. So now that I can't put the LCD on the speaker my only other choice is to buy something that I can put under the LCD to raise it up 6 inches or so and then place the center speaker in front of the LCD. Not ideal but will have to do.

Marc, I'm quite happy with my decision and tbh I'm glad you didn't step in earlier as I was going crazy with all the speaker choices I had. lol

I'm just glad its done.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 620
No worries. If you're handy with a table saw you could just build a box to put the center channel in, the put the LCD on top of it. Probably just be a lot easier to put a shelf on the wall above the the TV, though.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 333
Hi Nuck. The funny thing is, At CES you are there as the folks are basically writing the reviews and taking pictures, but I must say that a good portion of the reviewers really don't know as much about sound as many of the folks here, and also some of the better reviewers you know by name from their articles are just ordinary folks walkin around with name tags like everyone else. I find the various discussions between people to be quite revealing actually.

Chuck, I was also relieved after going through a big process when I made my own choices for speakers so I can truly relate. I haven't looked back or second guessed my choices one bit even after several years now.

As an FYI, the absolute best two channel set up I heard was a company from Canada; I think it was aural acoustics or something similar. They weren't getting a lot of foot traffic but it really was the best two channel sound I have heard in quite awhile. I think the set up was 38,000$ total however, which is beyond my means but still a pleasure to listen to.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 15
You know Dave; building a box or better yet a raised stand for the LCD that the center can fit in as well is a good idea. I think I'll design something.

Putting a shelf on the wall above the TV doesn't work to well in my case due to the LCD being a decent distance from the wall.
I have thought of mounting the LCD to the wall but I'm really not sure I want that. Then I'd have to get a different entertainment stand, something not as deep.

The box is a good idea though.

Bronze Member

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 37
So I now have the Onkyo 605 and Beta40 speakers setup. I can happily say that I am completely happy with these speakers. They sound beautiful.

I have the Beta C360 on the way (will arrive Friday) and I'm picking up my Hsu Sub Friday as well.

I can not wait to hear everything together!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1811
Congratulations!

Those Betas are disappearing quick, so you got them just in time.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1162
Congrats Chuck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us