Def Tech-Arcam vs. B&W- Rotel or Paradigm- Cambridge Audio?

Username: Geo123

Post Number: 4
I am looking for a HT sound system and walked into some high end HIFI stores and was seduced by the amazing quality and sound by some reputable labels.

The first was Definitive Technology speakers (mythos 8) and supercube sub with an AVR-350 Arcam receiver. = $10,000
Wow! Amazing sound in both video and audio.

The second was B&W 8 Series SCMS speakers with a Rotel RSX-1067 = $10,000
again, amazing sound!

The less $ alternative (which I didn't listen to) was the Paradigm Millenia 20 speakers and a Cambridge Audio 640R = $7,000

so what do you think? Is the less expensive system that inferior in quality?

Any help is appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 524
could be. Maybe not.
Only you know what really works for you.
Lookin to brag about how much you spent? Or lookin to enjoy for yourself? Only you can decide. But, at least for your own good, get out and listen to more than just 3 options at that price point.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 197
I have a Arcam avr300 witch is the 350 but without some internal dampening, HDMI, and a few other things. and i love mine. Solid receiver for sure.

Its maybe that its not inferior quality, its a different sound and its all personal preference. listen to the cheaper set and make you're opinion. Then go from there.

Username: Geo123

Post Number: 6
I definitely do not want to spend more than I have to. But I don't want to be disappointed after I install the system and it under performs in such a large space.
I also want not only HT but some good audio listening, and I think that brings the costs higher...I doubt a HTIB will do!

I was told to stay away from Japanese makes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us