Need Speaker recommendation

Username: Peacock_chaser

Woodbridge, Virginia USA

Post Number: 1
Good Afternoon

I am absolutely not an audeophile type, so I hope someone can give me some help. I need to get a pair of speakers to add to my stereo system.

Here is what I am working with:

Sony STR-DE135 Reciever (100 watt)
Pioneer PDF407 CD player
Technics RSB11W Cassette player (from 1986)
1 pair of Bose 501 speakers
1 pair of Technics SB-lbo speakers
The Technics speakers are shot, and I need to replace them.

My listening room is about 20 X 30 ft.

I really DON'T want to add any amps/preamps unless I ABSOLUTELY have to.

I AM NOT looking for "rattle the windows" volume, or "Mega bass".

My wife every once in a while listens to country music or old rock and roll, but 95% of the music played on the system is BLUEGRASS! All acoustic instruments, lots of harmony in the upper reaches.

I am looking for CLEAR. CLEAN sound!!

The fly in the ointment: I don't want to take out a second mortgage on the house to buy a pair of speakers. I have one kid in college, and my wife FROWNS on such expenditures!!!!!!!!!!

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6020
Jim, your amplifier doesn't have a lot of current for driving many of the high quality speakers on the market. Don't what your budget is or whether you want stand mount speakers or floorstanders but given the info you've presented I would suggest looking into the Paradigm Monitor series speakers. They were designed specifically to work well with today's low current home theater receivers and require very little power. Below you will find a little information on the speakers and a way to locate a dealer near you.

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/fronts-monitor-series-1-2-4.paradigm

http://www.paradigm.com/en/dealer_locator/paradigm.php

For even less money the Infinity Primus series is an outstanding value. Below you will find an overview of the Primus speakers and where to find them for a listen.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/products/series.aspx?SerId=PRI&Language=ENG& Region=USA&Country=US

http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/product_support/where_to_buy.aspx?test1=1&La nguage=ENG&Region=USA&Country=US

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1072
Great recommendations.

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 31
don't want to hijack this thread, but I was also looking into speakers with good sensitivity, and altho Jim doesn't mention a specific budget, I had a few speakers on the list at up to about $600. some have been reviewed here and elsewhere and are among "the usual suspects" like the paradigm and maybe psb's or perhaps the Monitor Audio series, but where in the mix would the offerings from Triangle fall (Titus, Comete or Stella) which are all pretty efficient and on sale as they roll out a new line? or the Focal 706v? any experience with pinnacles? Omega's? just looking for comments on the sonic qualities of these slightly more efficient speakers that obviously will not be the same type as others lauded here that fall around the 85db range. In other words, and this is for Jim as much as me: please recommend or comment on efficient speakers that don't fall into the super bright big box mass marketed category to check out (in addition to those Art mentions) thanks

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6024
MNR3...please start another thread and just copy and paste your question there...that way we don't get'em mixed up...thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 32
sorry for the semi-hijack; but I'm truly interested in the answer to Jim's question and my question was also a kind of response: i.e. here are a few suggestions from the searches thru archives I've done, would someone like to comment on these as viable solutions/speakers to audition (without starting another redundant "which speakers?" thread, given that we at least have some common parameters which my post/bump suggested). my apologies to the forum and Jim for the bad netiquette

Woodbridge, Virginia USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the recommendations. We have a pretty decent audio store here in town that carries the Paradigms. I'm going to go check them out tomorrow. I haven't found a store around here yet who carries the Infinitys. Maybe I'm just dreaming, I don't know. I would like to keep the price under $500.00 if possible. I found a used set of Marantz HD 660 speakers (which seem in real good shape) for $150.00. Any comments on them?

Woodbridge, Virginia USA

Post Number: 3
I forgot to tell ya, I prefer floor standing speakers. Sort of as an add on, although I want to get the best possible voice reproduction, my main love about bluegrass music, is listening to the instruments; the Martin guitars, the banjos, the mandolins, stand-up bass and the occasional dobro. I would like to be able to hear all of them.

Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 4
I hate to be unoriginal but I think that the Paradigms would fit your budget is very likely to meet all your requirements and then some. I own their basic Titan and Atom bookshelf speakers and they are excellent all-around speakers. There are many online reviews of these speakers and they mirror my experiences. You can definitely find speakers that are superior in some aspect of music reproduction but we all know that something must be compromised to get that good. The Paradigms have a very well chosen set of compromises. The engineering behind their products is solid. Also, they are not very finicky about associated equipment like many audiophile products. Paradigms are pretty efficient so the larger models should be able to handle your big room. Look into a pair of Monitor 7 in the used market.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us