Out door Speakers

Username: Kevint415

Post Number: 6
Hi,

I am building a new house, need to install outdoor speakers before the stucco goes on. Speakers will be ceiling mounted, so no rain, but still will be outside and could get wet from outdoor moisture, cleaning, etc. Also live in a dry climate, under 30% humidity. Speakers need to go to 80-100 watts.

Any recommendations??

Thanks,

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2798
You mean 80-100 acoustic watts!?

That's about 132dB! Are you crazy1?

I'm sorry, but I just had to.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12067

There are dozens if not hundreds of choices in outdoor speakers. To ask us to select one product is impossible. All outdoor speakers are capable of withstanding the environment you describe. So I'm not sure what you expect from us.

Are you not working with an installer or dealer on this project? They should be able to provide a recommendation and even an audition of previous installs. I would suggest you will be better off buying what the dealer or installer sells rather than having something they know nothing about. It's not that outdoor speakers are difficult but you don't want anyone pointing fingers at something they didn't sell.

What does the dealer/installer suggest?

Username: Kevint415

Post Number: 7
No offense, but both of you are quite rude. Yes, I am working with an installer, but I think I am entitled to do my own research and learn about it rather than just paying some guy to do all the work for me. Websites to read up on outdoor speakers, recommended brands, etc would be most helpful so that I can learn about the subject.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12070

"No offense, but both of you are quite rude."

Heck, why should I be offended when someone calls me rude for offering an opinion?

Actually, you did offend me.

"Websites to read up on outdoor speakers, recommended brands, etc would be most helpful so that I can learn about the subject."

Geez, guy, don't you know how to use a search engine? I'm certain I won't offend you, but you're not too bright.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?ei=UTF-8&p=outdoor+speakers&SpellState=n-2417 539170_q-rr5BOxo9dsfJhL4grwSQcgAAAA%40%40

There are no "recommended" brands. There are outdoor speakers. You buy what you like and what you can afford that suits your installation. As I suggested I would use what your installer recommends rather than what some schmuck on a forum suggests. You know where to find him if something goes wrong. Me? I don't care.

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 176
Here is the thing, personally i believe that any ceiling/outdoor/both speakers are just for ambient music, nothing more. not for movies, not for real music listening. So most speakers will fit the bill just fine.

Most ceiling speakers lack bass due to the free air alignment that they have when mounted so keep that in mind. If you could find some with a enclosure built in that would help out.

I have installed the kicker ceiling speakers in a yoga studio and they sound fine, given not outdoor speakers but just someone to look at.

Dont demand 80-100 watts to the speakers as i doubt you would ever send that much if you're amp can even put out that much. If its a cheaper amp take the wattage they say it puts out and divide by 2, thats about what you would be getting if you really turned it up.

Look for exterior contractor series speakers. contractor just means they are a bit cheaper and are pretty basic when it comes down to it. Also very easy to install.

Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 5
I had some cheapo RCA outdoor speakers (maybe a 2-way with a 4" woofer) and it sounded fine. The ambient noise, imperfect positioning, and other factors that work against getting an ideal sound makes investment is very good outdoor speakers not very cost effective. If you have neighbors, they might not appreciate speakers that can throw high SPLs and loud bass. I've been seeing eBay listings of New England Audio Research (NEAR) outdoor speakers in a trapezoidal cabinet, metal woofers and cabinets in white.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9669
That description really doesn't do them justice, msgtjjhyyexl.
They are uglier than that,LOL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us