Speaker Advice.

Username: Gmach1

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 1
Hi
I hope some one can help me with this. I am in the process of developing the Basement. Also I am redoing my entire (Almost ) the HT. Here is where I am running in to a issue. I want to have two seperate systems. One for the Music and one for the HT. However I will be using the same front speakers for both. Is there a Switch or a Line adapter which will do the Trick for me. If so which will you guys recommend.
Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12055

If the receiver you use for HT has pre amplifier outputs, you can simply run the pre amp outputs to the inputs of a two channel amplifier. Some HT receivers have good performance when used this way and some don't. The problem is often the quality of the signal processing in most HT receivers. Additionally, it's best to use a dedicated CD player for music rather than a DVD player. The better the signal going to the two channel amplifier, the better the final sound quality will be. As to which HT receiver to choose, that's a function of what you believe you require in features. Quite a few HT features are less than beneficial in the whole scheme of things and some are of considerable value. Each person decides what they "require". Read some of the past threads here for more ideas on what's important and what's not so.

If you truly want two separate systems, then I would advise two separate rooms with no shared components. Is this not possible?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1014
"Some HT receivers have good performance when used this way and some don't."

I agree. In my experience, using my A/V receiver as a pre amp for two channel listening proved to be much better than just using the receiver alone. Although having two separate systems would be best, I don't have the space for that at this time. Soon enough though.

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 2
I guess my Earlier Post was not so Clear. So here is what I am trying to do,
For Music I am going to run a Bryston Power Amp and Bryston Preamp Combo.
For HT I am not sure What receiver I am going to use but will be one of the Following , Arcam Or NAD,Rotel or Cambridge Audio.
As for the Two rooms and having sep Component is out of the question. That is why I specifically asked for a Switch or a Line adapter to switch between the two systems.
I hope this clears the air.
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1016
I will let the experts answer weather or not there is some sort of line adapter. I would just like to comment on the great choice of two channel equipment your chose. Bryston is very very nice stuff. If I was shopping for a new A/V receiver, I also would pick those 4 brands as my top A/V brands to audition. Listen to them all. If money is not an option, also take a look at B&K.Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1035
How about a HT processor and a 3 channel amp for the surrounds and Center Channel. That way you can go line out from the HT processor into the Bryston Combo.

How about a Bryston HT pre-amp?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html

How about Bryston amplification for the other 3 channels?

http://www.bryston.ca/6bsst_m.html

It is synergetic, you already have Bryston for your two channel so you must like its sound, so it seems natural to me.

Cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 1019
Very nice Michael. A Bryston HT setup would fair out quit nicely for two channel audio I would have to say. Probably better than a lot of dedicated two channel systems.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12062

G-1 - You're making a muddle of this whole thing. You're spending money like a drunken sailor and will be left with the same results. You do not put a NAD power amp with a Bryston pre amplifier. All of your power amp choices are far outclassed by the Bryston. Systems work when they are in balance. That idea is not IMO.

You're still going to use the source player(s) for the HT system and feed them through the Bryston? And you want to use the same front speakers with the two channel gear and the HT stuff? Have you thought this through at all? It can be done but this is just a jumble of cables and too many switches at this point. Does anyone else have to use this system? If so, they'll never figure it out.

Are you working with a dealer on this? If you are and they suggested this, change dealers.

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 3
Michael thanks for your feed back. I thought about the Complete Bryston HT set up but it was getting too pricey and that is why I Decided not to take that route. Trust me if I have the money I will get the Bryston

Jan, I think you didn't read my post completely. What I said was I am going to Have a Bryston Combo for the Music. Which includes a Dedicated Bryston Power Amp, Bryston Pre Amp and a Marantz CD Player.
As for the HT Only I am going use NAD or Arcam or Rotel Or Cambridge as my Receiver. The HT and the Music system will not share any Components other than the Front Two Channels.

So Here is my question again, Is there a Switch for the Speakers? Or a Line Adapter?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12066

Sorry, I did mis-read your post.

Call Parts Express and tell them what you want to do. http://www.partsexpress.com/index.cfm

This is never my choice when combining systems since it raises the chances of having two amplifiers looking at each other on the same speaker. I suspect they probably have a switch that can satisfy your needs however. Tell them the approximate wattage of each amplifier.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us