RR2150 -> LFM-1 Subwoofer -> Infinity Beta 50's

Username: Scotsys

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 7
I have purchased an Outlaw LFM-1 subwoofer and would like to attach two new Infinity 50 Beta speakers to the subwoofer speaker output; however the speakers are rated 10-250 watts and the output of the subwoofer amplifier is much higher. Is there any possibility that I might damage the Infinity speakers? Would I be better off leaving the Infinity speakers attached to my Outlaw RR2150 and not attempt to attacth them to the subwoofer?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9569
Bill, what is your receiver or amp?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5945
Outlaw RR2150...geez...

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 542
Not sure I understand why you would want to connect them to your subwoofer. Am I missing something here?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9577
oops. Friends don't let friends drink and type.
I answered this, but that post may have been thankfully lost as well.
clears throat...
Bill that Outlaw is rated pretty high in real power, as I have only read.
I would use the high level input to the sub and run the fronts full range.
If the Beta's don't haggle about the biggest bass, use the sub's XO to control the lows, and listen forr too much rolloff on the transition.
I think that LM1 is quite square, I would hope Mr. HSU(who did the LM1) was not too sloppy with the 24db slope.

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 8
Nuck - My amp/receiver is an Outlaw RR2150 that produces 100W at 8 ohms; however the LFM-1 EX produces an output of 325WRMS; 1300W peak. The Infinity Beta 50's call for a "recommended" amplifier output of 10-250 watts. I understand how confusing this must be to a novice such as myself, and I do understand that using an amplifier with a slightly higher power rating is a good thing because it assists in eliminating clipping and reducing distortion; however I am concerned that putting 325WRMS; 1300W peak power into a speaker with a "recommended" amplifier output of 250 watts may be a long stretch. You see, I would not be using the output of the RR2150 at all. The RR2150 has a dedicated "subwoofer output" and would completely bypass the "speaker" output of the RR2150. I assume it will get the RR2150 pre-amp output and not use the RR2150's amplifier at all. Having said that, I am further assuming that the only amplifier feeding the Beta 50 speakers would be the LFM-1 EX subwoofer. Keep in mind that the LFM-1 EX has outputs for the Beta 50's as well as driving the LFM's subwoofer. Cutting to the chase, what I am really asking is "will the output of the LFM-1 EX subwoofer amplifier damage the Beta 50's", because I have the option of using the RR2150 to power the Beta 50's and use the RR2150's subwoofer output to drive the LFM-1 EX. So, which is the best choice?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9585
Bill, the output rating for the sub amp is only for the single driver. The speaker level outputs from the sub are just filters for the power supplied by the receiver. Your sub is not going to power the mains.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1721
Bill, the sub amp only powers the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5946
Not to be a smart a--...really, this is all covered in the equipment manuals. The connection options are likely covered in both words and diagrams.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1025
Bill,

As Nuck and Chris above have stated, sub's amplification is only driving the sub speaker.

The sub draws the signal it needs from the inputs of the amplifier and then uses its own power only for the speaker it was built with. It passes along whatever you input into it directly to you Infinity Beta 50's more or less as is with the exception that you have the ability to filter out the low end at for arguments sake, anywhere from 40 Hz to 250 Hz. You dial it in to where you believe you have the best coherency. Another way of saying this is to where you sense there are no gaps in the frequency range or overlap (same sound) from the Beta 50's and the sub.

I am not trying to talk down to you but you indicated being somewhat a novice in this so I am trying to be careful not to confuse anything for you.

What Christopher, David, and Nuck are telling you is that you need to use your sub out to your sub. You can set the crossover to 60, 80, or 100 Hz.

Then run your speakers directly from the Outlaw's speaker outputs.

The less you put into the equation the better the sound. Keep the sub out of the line feeding your Infinitys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9588
Exactly, Mike. I never have liked the idea of a sub's XO in my mains. That is what the stereo is for. If the bass is too much or whatever, then you chose the kit poorly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9589
And yes, Art, when all else fails, read the manual.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1723
Bill,

I'm just curious, did you listen to the RR2150 & Beta 50 together, alone, in the room where you are using them, before you purchased the LFM-1?

Did you find the Beta 50, with it's two large 8" woofers, deficient in bass extension?

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 9
Michael please don't apologize for talking down to me. In this instance, I need talking down to. In fact it prompted me to go back and read the LFM manual with a new light. The manual states that there are two ways to connect the LFM to an amplifier depending on whether the amplifier has as pre-amp output or it does not have a pre-amp output. The RR2150 has a pre-amp output AND a subwoofer output. From what I have read I am assuming that the subwoofer output IS a pre-amp output that allows you to connect the subwoofer without disabling the pre-amps feed into the amps main amp.

The manual also states that if the amp does not have a pre-amp output, you may feed the speaker output of the amp into the high level inputs of the LFM and then hook your speakers to the loudspeaker terminals on the LFM subwoofer, which leads me to believe that the loudspeaker terminals on the LFM are simply pass-through connections for a pair of speakers.

However, the confusion has been amplifed (pun intended) when I received this reply from Harman Technical support on the same issue:

Thank you for the inquiry. You can use the 350W amp on the Beta 50's. This is because having an amplifier that produces more power than the speakers can handle continuously is actually a good thing. That usually means that the power range that the speaker can handle will be produced cleanly, without any sort of clipping or distortion. Speakers will really only see the high power range during brief peaks from the amplifier.

However, if you'd like to dedicate the output of that amplifier to run just your sub, then that would be great. You can then use bass management in your Outlaw receiver to send the sub bass to the dedicated amplifier, which will increase the output capability of the receiver/amplifier. If the Outlaw receiver lacks bass management, then there would be no output increase because the low frequencies are still running through the power amplification stages of the receiver/amplifier.

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 10
Hi again Chris -- First I am extremely satisfied with the Beta 50's. The combination of the RR2150 and the Beta 50's has produced a sound experience far more superior than I have ever heard before. Now, to answer your question.

Yes I have listened to the Beta 50's for a few days now and also yes, I would prefer more bottom to the sound. When I originally posted my first message and you were kind enough in suggesting the Beta 50's to begin with, I was planning on putting them in my small office, but after gaining considerable spousal approval, I decided to put them in my huge living room which has a 24 foot cathedral ceiling. It has hardwood floors and wood walls without draperies and carpet. Almost perfect is not good enough for me. I am driving the speakers more than I should be to get the bass response that I am looking for while running the tone controls to near flat. I am looking for slightly less volume in the mid range and tweeters but more bass response in the lower range. The main reason I came to this conclusion is that there is a very slight amount of distortion that appears when listening to violins and horns that disappears when the volume is lowered. But lowering the volume also lowers the bass volume and increasing the bass on the tone controls does not produce the desired results either. I assumed that the subwoofers would add the bottom I am looking for without distorting the highs. Make sense?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9592
We are trying to get on your page, Bill, so no talking down is involved. If the sub amp is available for stereo in/out, then it's something new to us all so far.
Thats a good thing.
Gotta sort through all of this to help the next poster, which is why we are hear.
That is spelled on purpose.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1028
Ok, that confused me.

Go back to what I said and do that. Yes you are correct, the sub-out is synonymous with pre-amp out.

Then send that reply back to Harmen and ask whomever answers you this time if they understand the first answer you were given and if so could they diagram it for you. LOL

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1029
Geesh, I guess that's what happens when 3 of us post all at the same time.

Bill, I will quote JV on this one, "place the words "speaker set-up" in a search engine, perhaps using this first: http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html

Then see if you still need the sub.

good luck

Gold Member

Post Number: 1724
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1725
Bill,

I'm glad you like the Betas; it all looks very straight forward, follow the advice in this thread & you should be good to go.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9593
attaboy, CM.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us