Will it be good to use Polk Audio FXiA6 as front speakers for classical music?

Username: Gte357s

Post Number: 1
I am thinking to use the Polk Audio FXiA6 as front speakers, but then I was told that it will sound bad, because it is designed to be for rear speakers, and it has a different cross over level. I am totally newbie in this, so, would like to get a second opinion.

And what other book shelf speakers will you recommend? I am considering Polk RTiA4 and Energy RC-10.

Thanks very much.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 962
Alex, the FXi6's are surround speakers for the rear channels of a HT system. Stay away from Polk. The little Energy bookshelves are decent. Look into Infinity,and the PSB alpha's. The Paradigm Atoms are good as well. Sounds like your shopping at a box store, best speaker they will have is the Infinity line.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 510
Nick, you like the Infinity's better than the Energy's?

I have a set of Energy C-50's and I'm pretty impressed with the amount of sound that comes of these little speakers.

I agree with your post, though - choose any of the above over the the Polks.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 965
Not sure David, its a close call. Ive never really sat down to listen to the little Energy's. But out of the speakers I have heard at Future Shop I thought the Infinity's were the best. I hear the Energy Reference series is actually very good.

Username: Gte357s

Post Number: 2
David and Nick, thank you very much for your suggestions. And I mainly shop around Future shop, Best Buy, Visions, Crutchfield and London Drugs. I know these places are not pro in audio, but they have big sales and it seems they can offer a better deal. Do you know any other good stores in Vancouver for speakers? My budget is around 500-600 dollars for a pair of book shelf speakers for classical music. I know I cannot get all for a book shelf speaker, but I think I prefer to have more bass rather than too bright.

Also, I heard alot of good review for Infinity Primus series, but unfortunately, they are not carried at BB. They have the P162, but they are not cheap either compared to Energy RC-10 which are on sale at FS for 599. Is 599 a good price for RC-10? I am more leaning towards Energy just because it seems a better deal. Of course, I will go try out later the day.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 511
Vancouver is a long way from Ottawa ;-)

But anyway, if you are shopping at the big box stores I would lean towards Energy. Klipsch is also an option, but seems to be an acquired taste.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us