Just bought Polk Audio speakers...Opinions please!

Username: Mrpito

Calgary, Lberta Canada

Post Number: 5
HI Everyone,

I was originally posting in the Receivers forum but I need some opinions on speakers now. I went out this evening with my wife and we ended up spending nearly $2000(WAY over budget) on the entire system. This is what I ended up buying:

Yamaha RX-V861 receiver (105W x 7) @ $668
Sinclair Audio Brighton Series SW10.3 250W powered Sub @ $398
2 polk Audio monitor 50 Towers (all 5 Polk Audio speakers @ $650)
2 Polk Audio monitor 30 Rears
1 Polk Audio CS1 Center

From what I've seen on the polk Audio site, i got the speakers at a good price. Now, i just gotta hook it all up and hope that the Juice is worth the squeeze. Let me know what you all think of my choices.

Cheers,
Rodney

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11982

Awwww, man, you're supposed to ask before you buy the stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 954
lol yeah.. u asked my opinion about which receiver would be better...THAT yamaha...or the new Onkyo 705...Now based on what ive heard with my own two ears, the fact that the Onkyo 705 just won budget A/V receiver of the year by TWO very respectable magazines, and the fact that Onkyo has came back with a truly good budget product after suffering the last 10 years, I said Onkyo. Which I believe most people that have heard both would say the Onkyo is the winner, hands down. Some %$#$ing guy comes along and tells u the Yamaha is better, a guy who hasnt even heard the Onkyo, and you go buy the Yamaha. I liked the guys post though, on that you should go listen to both. Now your stuck with the Yamaha. Not saying you wont like the Yamaha, but I think you could have done better for the money. MY opinion though, and just an opinion. You should buy the Onkyo and listen to it at your place. Return the one u decide not to keep, big box stores have a very good return policy at least.

Now onto the speakers- you already bought them. So, too late your stuck with them. Did you buy them from Best Buy im guessing? Or Future Shop probably as I see you are in Canada. You probably talked to some pimple faced kid who doesn't know Sh!t about audio, who worked Cash for the last two years,and who suckered you into buying something he has absolutely no clue about.

Either way for 2 grand you did Ok. If you like the sound of the system, as you claim you do over in the receiver section, then you don't need our opinion. Enjoy the Music/Movies, and have fun. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5881
A Yamaha AVR from the same lineup, one that I own, won awards from both The Perfect Vision and The Absolute Sound a couple of years ago. I like my Yamaha AVR as well as all but 2 that I've owned (Rotel and Marantz), that includes NAD, Onkyo, and Denon. Yamaha AVR's especially in the mid budget range do HT pretty well where they suffer is in the music department, but then again in my opinion so do all AVR's but the very best such as Arcam.

Where I see that I believe that you may have done better is with speakers. That's because I like the Infinity Primus line much better than those Polks...however that's my preference YMMV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us