Totem Mite w/ Definitive Pro Sub 800

Username: Pd123

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to buy a new 2Chan Hi-Fi system(or more mid-Fi at my price level:-)

Dealer recommended a NAD 325BEE driving a pair of Totem Mites + 2 subwoofers (Definitive Tech Pro-Sub 800). Listening Room is 11' x 18' but would also like to hear the music from the other rooms on the main floor (about 1300sq ft floor). Music taste is wide ranging from jazz to modern rock to trance.

Totem Mites = $800; 2 subwoofers = $800;

Do i need 2 subs - one for each channel? (Theory sounds nice but thinking this may be overkill)

Any alternate speaker suggestions for $1600? (or amp/speaker combinations for that matter)

Any comments on B&W 684 vs above? (am getting a price of $1000/pair)

Username: Pd123

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 2
Would greatly appreciate any comments on pairing the Totem Mites with Definitive Sub? or any comments please?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2625
Hmmm - I don't understand why your dealer would do things this way around. It doesn't make sense to me. I'm not a big fan of the Mites. I prefer the Dreamcatcher and rainmaker. personally I don't see the need for the sub(s) at all. Just because a speaker is small doesn't necessarily mean it can't do bass.

I am more concerned about the choice of amplifier which is pretty low end by comparison to the speakers. Personally, I'd take the money you're spending on the subs and add it to the amplifier which should give you some more drive and attack, better transparency and control.

As for the B&Ws, the 685 is a bigger sounding speaker. The 684 is a small floorstander and it's OK. I'm not a big B&W fan (even though I sell them), but there's no doubt they're good at what they do. For me they exhibit a bit too much bass, which is why I prefer the 685 standmount.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us