Seeking Speaker Advice

Username: Jazzfan

Washington, DC US

Post Number: 1
I'm in the market for a pair of monitor speakers. Thus far, I've listened to Paradigm Studio 20, Monitor Audio GS10. I really liked the Paradigms, although I think I got a bad quote for them, so I'm searching online. The Monitor Audio's were very good, but too much bass. Magnepan MMG's are definite maybe, although not a shelf speaker like the others. I will be listening to Usher in the next day or so. I live in a condo with a small listening area (10x12X8). I will be driving the speakers with a B&K ST140 for a time before my next Amp purchase. My listening tastes are fairly eclectic but more jazz than anything else.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11954

Send Tim an email to see if he's got anything that will do what you need. Tell him the forum sent you to him. Take a look at his open baffle designs.

http://www.timn8er.com/

Treat the ST140's like a tube amplifier. Keep the impedance as consistent as possible and the electrical phase angle as close to 0° as possible. Don't stray away from a nominal eight Ohm speaker. The ST140 is not a high current amplifier and will sound terrible with difficult to drive speakers. No four Ohm speakers! Give it the right speaker load and it will still compete with some very pricey amplifiers. The new PSB line will make nice with the B&K also. No B&W's. If you can find a pair of Spicas or someone's LS3/5a's on the pre owned market, they both love the ST140.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 996
Still tryin' to sell the Angelus'?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11960

I never really was; but, if you can, you get half.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1036
To the OP... you can not buy Paradigm speakers on the internet. If you find a dealer listing them, it is almost guarenteed that Paradigm will not honor the warranty for them.

There are very RARE exceptions to this, like when Spearit Sound had authorization from Paradigm to clear out a finish on the sig. series that is no longer being produced.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2376
If you think you got a bad quote, e-mail Paradigm and ask them what the US MSRP is. If they did try to jack up the price, report it to Paradigm. They're a good company who only wants reputable dealers, and I'm sure they'd like to know about any wrong doings concerning their products.

If they quoted you the MSRP, that's what you should expect to pay for them. This isn't Panasonic gear that has to go on sale for 50% off in order to get sold.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 948
Kevin- Paradigms pricing on the Studio 20's are 1000cdn, and around 800US. My U.S. price may be off by a bit, but their 1000cdn taxes in, out the door.

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1042
The Maggies are excellent speakers (I own a pair). However, I recently "replaced" them with a pair of KEF iQ3 bookshelf speakers. They have the immediacy in the mids that my maggies had, along with better bass extension and fewer room interaction artifacts.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 82
Gavin,
Shame on you for getting rid of your Maggies!

As I'm sure you know, part of the fun of Magnepan is the room tuneup / placement rituals.
I've been able to make my (former) MG-1's work in rooms from large closet to banquet hall...
In the small room I had to swap 'em L->R to make them image properly, but that was part of the adventure.
Do you think PSAudio or Bel Canto class 'D' amps would be a good match?
What were /are you using to drive them?

I look forward (several years) to an all-Maggie home theater setup.

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1044
I still have them, but got sick of messing with the placement in a non ideal room

Username: Jazzfan

Washington, DC US

Post Number: 2
I was talking to a friend at work, and what do you know but he owns the MMG's. I went over for the taste test. Wow! Fantastic, they certainly have limitations in bass, but he has a sub hooked up and that takes care of that. Anyway, I placed my order for the Maggies and will begin my search for an amplifier. I will be in the $800 and under range. Any ideas? Parasound, Rotel, Adcom, McCormack, Jolida??? Hopefully, I can get a few bucks for my B&K.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11975

So you ignored my first post.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/429009.html

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11976

You might want to contact Simply McIntosh. She can be found on the Old Dogs thread in the DVD section of the forum. She used the MMG's with her MA6200 but has recently switched to another set of speakers.

Username: Seldars

CairoEgypt

Post Number: 1
Hello there, need to know if the JBL SCS200 5.1, would fit with my pioneer VSX 917V, rated 90W per channel (90w x 7 ch). The max recommended receiver output power for surround & Sub is 100w. The sub's power is 50 RMS continuous/160 peak. Should I have any problems with this configuration. Also, would the published wattage by Pioneer is nominal? Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us