Speakers and the Outlaw RR2150

Username: Scotsys

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 1
I just ordered an RR2150 and now I am looking for speakers. The room I plan on installing the system in is wooden walled in a space of about 25 X 20 with a ceiling about 20 feet high, and mostly I will be listening to music from my XM receiver. I have a rather diverse taste in music -- Soul, Jazz, Rock, and Classical. I would like to keep my speaker budget below $1K but it is not an absolute requirement. I prefer bass you can feel, but I like to hear a wide range of frequencies without distortion. Unfortunately I live out in the sticks and at least 500 miles from any serious stereo dealers, so I don't have the advantage nor the time to drive somewhere to listen. I am hoping that I can get some "sound" advice that will give me the best chance of being reasonably satisfied with what I decide to buy.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Post Number: 1651
Congratulations on the Outlaw.

In the sub-$1000 category, I don't think you can do any better than the Infinity Beta Series, especially if bass is a strong consideration. In fact, a pair of Infinity Beta 50s can be had here for less than $500 http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/1BetaSeries.html , don't let the price fool you the Beta series is competetive with speakers costing 4-5X the price, and don't be afraid to ask them for a better deal on s/h if you decide on them.

http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/infinity-beta-50-cherry/4505-7869_7-31 296960.html

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11931

If the source is no better than XM radio and you like bass you can feel, for that size room buy a large subwoofer with a remote control and just about any speaker that can keep up with the sub.

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks Chris - I took a look at the Beta Series reviews and it looks good. Back in the first half of the sixties, while I was performing with various rock groups, I was beating the devil out of a set of drums usually stationed within arm's length of bass and guitar amps, horns on one side and a Hammond Leslie on the other - It was heaven. But that, plus a couple of years working around jets in the USAF; I tend to enjoy a little bit more volume that most. :-) I longed for a big 100 watt McIntosh tube amplifier and a set of Klipschorns. Back then Klipsch were the best.

Jan -- I confess I am a novice at this now, but I was surprised to hear you say "if the source is no better than XM radio". Help educate me just a little. I thought the reproduction of digital depended on the quality of the amplifier/speakers and had little to do with the source whether it be XM Radio or CD. Just curious, what are a few of the sources that produce the highest quality sound these days?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11937

You've put me on a spot when you ask me to define "quality" for you. The highest quality is what you want it to be, whether that is the generally sonically impoverished MP3 with thrown-in earbud type headphones or the substantially richer sounding studio masters through Wilson towers. That spread covers a lot of territory and I cannot dictate what you can and cannot hear or will and will not prefer.

With the background you describe you have some degree of hearing loss not only in level but in frequency response. There's no way to make up for this with audio equipment. I would, however, still find it unusual to find someone with your sort of hearing loss to not be aware of the dynamic compression which pervades XM radio broadcasts. Other matters of "quality" are impossible for me to dictate to anyone else. What you'll find acceptable and desirable is something you'll have to work out on your own, IMO. Listen to some very good equipment and some moderately priced gear and then decide what you require for your particular needs. If that's impossible, then the task becomes more difficult and you're asking me to sell you a mail order bride. Do you like them short or tall? Blonde or brunette? B00bs, legs or somewhere in between?

As I said, if "bass you can feel" is one of your priorities, a top notch powered subwoofer with the ability to alter level on the fly is one component I would suggest. The thing is, "bass you can feel" can cover a lot of ground. Do you want items in the room to shake? That requires bass response capability down to their particular resonant frequency and no lower. Do you want chest pounding bass? That requires a system that can respond dynamically rather than by necessity with extended frequency response (the K'horns are excellent examples of a speaker that has little real power response beneath 35-40Hz in most rooms but gives the impression of a bass pressure wave's leading edge with quite good impact). Do you want pants leg shaking bass? Buy several of the most efficient bass systems you can afford and clear the room to make way for the size of horns you'll require. Do you want to feel the recorded subway cars rumbling beneath the symphony hall? That requires a totally different bass system.

I can't tell you what you'll like or need to satisfy your system requirements. If you have no way to audition equipment, you'll have to make do with reading about equipment. I suspect there will be other forum members who can suggest things they like and then you can go from there. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 3
In 1994 I bought my first RV. Spend a few days reading a CompuServe Forum and asking questions. By reading through the responses I got from others I was able to decide on an excellent setup and avoid some common mistakes which could have resulted in me living longer. You've helped more than you know. You've given me some new things to think about. No, I do not want to tear the house apart with bass response. Nothing is quite as irritating as those cars with boom boxes driving by our house. That's not what I am looking for, but I have always leaned toward more bass response than most. Probably I would be happier with a woofer and two towers. I just don't know if that's the way to go. Things have changed so much since I was 'really' into listening to audio.

I have read that I need to buy speakers that are rated slightly lower than my amplifier to eliminate clipping. I suppose for the RR2150 that would suggest 75 Watts at 8 Ohms or 125 Watts at 4 ohms. I have a pair of RCA SPK 375s I bought in 1978. I really liked them but the cones are deteriorated and after spending the past year in the garage, they may have other problems. I have considered re-coning or replacing the speakers that are in there with new ones. The cabinets are still good but I might be better off buying something new.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 991
There will be decent audio shops is Chicago, Dallas, probably St. Louis, and Kansas City. I would think one of those destinations may be less than 500 miles from you. In spite of the time and the cost of gas, you would do well to hear equipment first hand less risking buying something that you might not like and having to use it for who knows how long.

Newhebron , MS USA

Post Number: 4
Chris - After reading the reviews I decided to try to Infinity Beta 50's. I'll let you know how I like them. Thanks to you all who answered me.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Post Number: 1656
I think they'll be a great fit, please be sure to get back with your impressions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us