Bookshelf Speaker Wire Gauge ?

Username: Spottedfeather

Independence, Missouri U.S.A

Post Number: 8
I'm looking to extend the wire length of a set of bookshelf speakers on my AIWA stereo. I found a site http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
it says that for a length of 9 feet to use 22 AWG for a speaker of 6 Ohm and for a length of 15 feet to use 20 AWG wire. Are these lengths the entire length of the wire from the speaker to the stereo or the length that the wire's going to be extended ? I only need to extend the existing speaker wire about 6 feet, give or take a foot. Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 169
It would be best if you can stay with the same cable all the way through.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9522
MS, never splice speaker wires!
The 20g will be fine, use new wire and keep the runs equal lengths.

Username: Oldschool2424

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 5
Well, if your Aiwa is like the one I have in my garage, anything will do. I think my wire is 50 gauge, slightly thicker than air. Go a head and slice all you want. This is not high end audio. Any thickness is fine. Solder or use connectors, doesn't matter. Have fun!

Username: Spottedfeather

Independence, Missouri U.S.A

Post Number: 9
The AIWA is just a standard 3 cd changer stereo with 15w & 6 Ohm speakers. It's a NSX-AJ14, to be exact. My problem is this. I hear a lot more out of my right ear than I do my left and the speaker left/right balance is almost twice as loud sounding on the right. And it's not just this speaker set, but everything that's supposed to be in stereo. My computer has a left/right balance menu, but the stereo does not. Moving one speaker further back than the other works, but I can't move the one speaker quite as far as I need. I was going to put in a volume adjuster to one speaker so that I can turn it down to match the other one, but extending the wire so I can re-position the speaker would be a lot easier. So, if Mike is right, I can use whatever speaker gauge I want ? The speaker doesn't need to go a great distance. It just needs enough extra wire length to allow me to move the speaker a few feet.
Another question. Does speaker wire come in a single piece wire, or does it come in a double line wire like the existing wire so that it has two short bits that you push into the speaker connects on the stereo ? Thank you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us