Wattage on step down transformer.

Username: Musicjunky27

Post Number: 4
I am travelling to India and carrying my speakers system with me. Following is my config:
2 klipsh rsx-4s and velodyne vx-10 sub along with onkyo tx-rs304. Peak wattage of speakers is 100watt while that of sub is 150watt. I will buy more speakers in India.
Is 200watt a good wattage for a (220/110)step down transformer that I will be using?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11898

No. You're confusing the wattage output of the amplifiers with the wattage draw of the AC line. Add up how much wattage each unit consumes and then buy in excess of that amount.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 574
The power handling of the speakers is irrelavant. A speaker that is used in the U.S. should work anywhere else as well, only the AC power for the amplifier driving the speakers will be different from country to country. If I'm not mistaken India should be 240V AC as are most European countries except for the UK which uses 220V AC. You would be wise to consult a professional with knowledge of AC power conversion upon your return to India. In this application a 220V to 110V stepdown may work but again consult a professional so that no guesswork,which is an opportunity to destroy gear, is necessary. For any amplifiers maximum power consumption given actual produced will be about 60% of this number best case often 40-50% of this number in actuality. This means for an amplifer rated with a power consumption of 500W,for 500W consumed only about 200-250W will be produced.

ER

Username: Musicjunky27

Post Number: 5
Jan,thanks for ur response!
You mean if I have 2 speakers(100+100) and a sub (150) then I should be going with wattage in excess of 350watts? I am getting 220/110 stepdowns with 100, 200, 500 watts. Are u suggesting that 500watt would be the best choice?

Eric,thanks for ur response!
Do u think 200watt would be good enough for a set up that requires 400watts in summation of wattages of the system?

My general doubt was whether the wattage of stepdown be the summation of individual units or highest of them? From Jan's response, I guess its the summation of units; and according to Eric, half of the summation might work.

regards,

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 577
Ranjat, again forget about the speakers except for the Velodyne. Look on the back of the Velodyne and the back of the Onkyo and add the power consumption figures together. This wattage figure is the minimum the transformer has to be rated for. If for example their power consumption combined is 500W then get at least a transformer rated for 500W, although a little more would be better. Of course though, if the line voltage is increased from 110-120V to 220V or 240V the current will go down so this is why it would be wise for you to consult someone with knowledge of these devices,and how well they will work with the power there when you get to India. Jan is correct and I cuncur that you should overspec for the wattage figure. The point I was merely trying to make is that actual power produced(given back to the circuit) is usually around 50% of power consumed. Welcome to the forum and good luck with everything. Let us know what happens.

ER

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11902

You still don't have it right. The output wattage is of no real concern here. Look on the back of the units and there will be a label which indicates the current consumption of the power supply for each unit. That is what you must consider when choosing a step up/down transformer. Add together whatever you will be using on the transformer and then add another 25% to that number for the size transformer you'll require.

Ignore the output wattage.

I agree with ER that not all amplifiers should be run off transformers. Check with your manufacturer(s) or a reliable seller to make certain this is advisable before you detsroy your equipment.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9509
50Hz power to 60 Hz, I might factor in the power rating of the XO, and how the units will work with the faster power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us