My speaker dilema...FINALLY FINISHED...at least for the time being...

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1011
ok... you guys are not going to believe the outcome of this, but it did end happy.

Sadly, my maggies are now in storage. I have no intention to sell them. They are truly fantastic speakers, and it would sadden me to part with them. I just can not think of a logical way to position them in my room that does not impede on the living space.

So, I was living with my old Bose Acoustimass 5 (without speakers reflecting) for a month. You can imagine what "joy" I was experiencing when listening to music through that. Needless to say, I returned to my stax headset to listen.

I recently remembered that I had purchased a pair of Klipsch RSX-3 sat speakers off of ebay for chump change during the I-Fi rage, when reviewers and audiophiles alike were touting the sats as amazing. I did a little research, and found out that Klipsch actually packages the smallest reference sat as part of the iFi package, so I bought a pair for next to nothing. I never really used them.

Once I remembered they were in my closet at my mothers, I began wondering why I was using the Acoustimass, even to get by. I now have them hooked up to my Pioneer Elite A-35R, running through the speaker level inputs on my PDR-8. To say that I am shocked by how rich and smooth these little speakers are would be a drastic understatement. While they don't have quite the lower midrange fullness that a larger bookshelf would have, it is very good. Diana Krall comes through rich and smokey.

Siblance has yet to be detected using quality recordings. Highs are crisp and clean, without sounding stridant or brittle. This is a most welcome change from the Klipsch of old.

What really surprises me aside from the overall sound quality is that these things image like CRAZY! Shortly before I wrote this, I was listening to my DK "When I Look In Your Eyes" SACD. On the opening cut, Diana is just right of center, and the RSX3 placed her there. Granted, feed it garbage and you will hear it.

My speaker issue is solved for the time being, until I decide to throw money at a pair of real speakers. But, until I do it is nice that I can once again listen to music and not cringe.

The only thing I need to do now is pick up some external bass management, but being that I do not listen loud this has not been a priority (I know, I know).

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5801
Wonderful story Gav...funny how nothing, not even Bose, will keep us from our music. I must look up your little Klipsch and see what gives...!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9506
Attboy, Gavin!
Runwhat ya brung!

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1012
The RSX series are designed to be a home theater speaker, and sound slightly cooler in the treble than other Klipsch I have heard, if my memory is correct. IMHO, this may be due to the issues of users pairing them with less accurate equipment in a home theater setting.

On the other hand, I reported to all of you that I was very impressed by the control of the new reference series when auditioned on my own equipment. Just goes to show you that equipment can make a world of difference. The first time I heard the new reference series (sans RSX) I hated it.

I have not heard the ref bookies in about 2 months, but I do believe that they have more control in the highs, and are smoother than my 3's

Now...back to the RSX-3

They ARE recessed in the midrange, as are all small sats. Will they replace a good set of bookshelvs? NO WAY! But they are a welcome improvement over most small sat speakers, especially that size. I can hide the speaker itself (minus stand of course) behind my hand, fingers splayed. This is a very small speaker.

Think the reference version of the Quintet. They are sold in a HT package, just like the Quintet. I just managed to snag a pair on ebay.

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1013
They may replace bookshelves for some users, but for me I still have to use that PDR8, and it hates to be crossed over high enough, creating an even blend.

Not a fault of the speakers though. Small speakers by nature have little to no bass extension.

the -3dB point is 116hz...not terribly low, but lower than most minispeakers.

here is the link. I found it in a pair on the klipsch website. Maybe they do in fact sell them in pairs.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rsx-3.aspx

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1014
lower male voices (James Taylor) don't sound quite as full as one could expect them to on a larger speaker, but this is something that is obvious given the size and LF extension.

now only if I had a MartinLogan Grotto instead of my PDR-8..

:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5803
They're cute (now watch me catch it for that). The PDR8 is just not a very good sub as none of the Paradigm PDR's are. The ML Dynamo would make a really good match for your speakers. Another good one would be the smallest of the REL T Series. I have used the PDR's in a pinch and they do most of what you need so there you have it. Good to see ya enjoyin' the music.

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1017
thanks! I will look into that.

I was thinking about the Dynamo already.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1601
I know you must miss the Maggies.

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1019
how could I not?

I am still in the process of finding a pair of speakers that will match the coherance of my maggies in a bookshelf model.

I have been looking since this past august, and I think I have found what I am looking for. I am not going to jinx myself by talking about it now though.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 974
Seriously Jan, I did not give or sell your Rogers.

Hmmm, they were just here a minute ago...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1602
Well good luck Gavin on finding a bookshelf that matches the Maggies for anything,especially at a resonanble price,I've got 1 world class monitor in sitting in my house and it doesent come close as good as it is,and 3 nearly world class monitors and they are even further away,so good luck on that.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5831
TW, I thought that too relative to the Maggies. Then I experimented with speaker placement and got lucky with my Rega's. I found a position for them in my office where (much like the Maggies they replaced) they disappear. It's only while I'm dead on in the sweet spot that they do the incredible disappearing act, but they sound much better while listening from any position in the room. I love the Rega speakers they are very versatile. Another setup where a Rega speaker sounds incredible is the R1's with an Almarro tube integrated and an Apollo cd player...unbelievable setup. The Almarro has only 5 watts per channel (you know what they say, it's the first watt that counts) and just drives the R1's beautifully.

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1021
Same here Art. I am debating on experimenting with a KEF speaker pair in my apartment. If it sounds half as good in my living room as they do in the showroom, I will certainly love them.

Thanks again, I never would have considered KEF if you guys didn't get me thinking about it.

I noticed that the pair I am looking at are commonly demoed on NAD, so I brought my Pioneer Elite to the floor. I like a warm sound (tell me why I like klipsch?) for listening, as to me it is soothing. Well...I got that and then some. Smooth, extended treble, tight bass that is just deep enough for my applications, and rich warm midrange.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1603
Yeah,the Kefs are certainly 1 of the most coherant box speakers I've heard,i used to own a pair of Q1,loved their imediacy in the midrange,very good speakers,a good tube amp will lessen the lower extra lower treble bite the uni-q coaxials typically have,nice choice Gavin!

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1022
I'm looking at the iQ3, which is the next iteration of the q series. While I haven't heard the O1, the iQ3 (larger driver than Q1) is a really full, inviting speaker.

They mate very well with my Elite A-35r, at least in the showroom.

Gold Member

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1023
according to the Kef website, the drivers were redesigned, and allow for smoother HF transmission. This may account for my lack of hearing bite on them as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us