Receiver for KEF Q series speakers

Username: Newbeekb

Post Number: 3
I'm a new bee to this Home theater system setup.
Recently I auditioned KEF Q series speakers. I'm considering Q1 as my front speakers. My use will be 60/40 (music/movies). Which receiver I should go with for KEF speakers? I read that warm speakers should be matched with bright receivers. Is that true? Any suggestions please?

Also let me know any other speakers that I should be auditioning before I make my decision.

TomD
Unregistered guest
NAD receivers go well with KEFs. Plenty of posts below on "warm", "bright" etc...check them out.

On the speaker front, if you like the "British" KEF sound, you might appreciate the inherent clarity of B&W and Monitor Audio speakers as well...they won't sound quite like KEFs though.

Username: Newbeekb

Post Number: 4
What about H&K or Pioneer Elite series receivers? Do they match well with KEF speakers?
The dealer where I auditioned KEF has H&K also. His setup is KEF and Onkyo receiver. But I can ask him to change it to H&K and audition again.

Appreciate your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 80
On the KEF Q1, you'll like that little box's point source sound or you WON'T! The KEF speaker materiel on those drivers (used in the ENTIRE KEF range)is a poly-styrene type material (it has a sound all it's own), it's stretched quite tight, with their teeny tweeter in the middle of the driver assembly. The port below the UNI-Q (tweeter & midrange in one) driver, gives the bass tuning, based on the size of the cabinet volume. I found the sound in the KEF Q's a little 'honky', and unrefined. I found that the driver materiel they chose has a sonic profile all it's own. The overall sound was British warm, woody, too wide, undifferentiated. But, the kef Q11 (available only to USA) is on my list of speakers to audition in the next six months.
Learn to ignore remarks like "warm speakers should matched to bright receivers".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us