Counterintuitive DAC specs vs. sound

Username: Joan1513

Post Number: 1
I don't have a stereophile system, nor money to acquire one, but I thought that I might perhaps spend just a bit more and make what improvements I'm able. Adding an affordable DAC sprang to mind; most of what I've read has said that doing this should help.

I am using a low-end, Toshiba HD DVD player to play music CD's. The player's spec sheet puts its internal DAC's at 24/192. I figured that'd be better than what my 'pre-amp' (Yamaha DSP-A1 a/v receiver) is likely to have, being 7 or 8 years old. (I emailed Yamaha to ask them for information about the DSP-A1's DACs's. I know from the manual that it is a '24 bit' resolution converter, but it doesn't say what the sampling frequency is. They never responded.) So, guessing that the DVD's newer, better spec'd DAC's were probably going to sound superior, for a long time I just used the player's analog outs.

Moreover, I reasoned, with a 24/192 internal DAC, why in the world would I want to add an external DAC (MSB's link DAC III is sort of in my price range), with "lesser" specs (the link DAC is a 24/96 converter)? So, I forgot about the whole thing, thinking it could make my system sound worse, not better.

One day on a whim, however, I decided to hook up the DVD player's optical out, and use the pre-amp's DACs instead of the DVD player's. Lo and behold, it sounds *much* better this way, even though each units' specifications tell me it should really be the other way around.

I do not understand this. And, if *this* counterintuitive situation is manifest, then maybe adding that external DAC might actually help, even though that'd be sort of counterintuitive too.

Can somebody put some light on what's going on?

Top Deals

Loading, please wait...

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Top Deals

Forum Help

Follow Us