Tripath amp for my Monitor Audio BR2s

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 626
Hello everyone!

I was browsing around focal speakers and somehow managed to find myself a fair bit later on 6moons audio (again). Browsing here, lead me to this:

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/winsome/mouse.html

Reading this has made me want to definately buy a t-amp of some kind, something I've wanted to do for a long while now.

My question is which one?

The Sonic T-amp?
Something from Trends Audio?

My budget is about £125 so lets say no more than $250.

I'd probably go for the winsome..if i could afford it but its $400.

Any advice, thoughts and reccomendations please?
I'll definately be buying one as at university I've now moved my room around my speakers

I hope everyone is enjoying their christmas break(if any yet).

Silver Member

Post Number: 627
Rethink: I'll buy the Winsome if its worth it?
This will be putting me at £75 over budget.

Then sell my cambridge audio 540a if I prefer it. Strangely I think I may do..

Help please.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11882

Any speaker used with a Tripath based amplifier needs to maintain an impedance no lower than 6 Ohms and no higher than 10 Ohms. The BR2's are a 6 Ohm nominal which means they will dip lower than that at some point. Any speaker used with the smaller 6 watts T-amps requires at least a 90dB sensitivity. The BR2's are rated at 88dB.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 479
Just curious, Jan - what happens if you use speakers that are below 6 Ohms with a Tripath amp? I was using a Trends amp to drive some old 4 Ohm speakers and I noticed no adverse sound quality problems. Mid you, I didn't turn it up very loud.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11884

My experience and that of several others has been that the T-amps will have a wandering frequency response that corresponds to the rising and falling impedance load. Four Ohm loads seem to make the sound very hard while ten Ohm and above tend to roll the frequency response. Since speaker manufacturers are not consistent in the nominal impedance specs, it's possible a four Ohm nominal speaker might not present a significant problem depending on where that impedance load falls and whether the music you play has lots of energy at that frequency range. As with any other combination of equipment, let your ears decide what sounds best to you. But I would warn against four Ohm loads and T-amps as a general rule just as I would tend not to put six watt T-amps and 88dB speakers together.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 480
Is this something you would notice with an increase in volume, say in distortion? Or is it more the risk of damaging the amplifier?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11886

Neither. It appears to be the way the Tripath chips work. I'm sure you can find someone who disagrees but, IMO, you'll get the best performance out of the T-amps when you treat them as if they were single ended triodes. Keep the speaker sensitivity as high as possible and the impedance load as consistently high as possible without exceeding ten Ohms If the speaker's impedance rises above ten Ohms in the high frequencies, you may or may not prefer the T-amps with those speakers. I can't give hard and fast rules since speakers are not consistent in the load they present to the amplifier and you might like the slightly rolled off highs if the system or room is somewhat off from neutral.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 959
Welcome back J.J.

Hope the ladies have kept their hands (fingers) to themselves at your parties.

Just kidding of course, nice to see you are still here. How goes it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 628
Well thank you Mike! Yes they've all been good, its been more the case of getting work done over the last few weeks but now I'm home until mid Jan.
Generally I'm pretty good, I can't wait to give the girlfriend her present. Its round. Its shiny. And it has a precious stone on the top.

How about yourself Mike?

Thanks for the advice Jan. Basically from what you've said, the winsome is a safer choice then? It seems like its worth the money with the huge increase in power from trends etc. I did think my BR2s were 8 ohm originally but found they're quite similiar in spec to my old wharfedales.

Not only am I tempted to get the winsome, but another speaker upgrade to some monitor audio rs6s or focal 714vs.
I just need to get saving again!

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 960
Things are good here too J.J.

The system is dialed in nicely.

A couple or three TT upgrades in the offing, saving up for that. Probably won't be any for a while.

Sounds like your girl is going to have a good holiday, congrats!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us