What cd player should I use with my system?

Username: Smwick

Nanaimo, B.C Canada

Post Number: 1
I've recently been told that my cd player is the weekest link in my system, so I'm thinking of upgrading it. My system: HK AVR445 receiver, 11 yr old Yamaha 5 disc cd player, Totem Sttaf speakers. I've had the HK and the Totems for about a year now and really enjoy the sound they make together. So now I'm wondering how much better it could sound with a new cd player. I've been reading on this site about cd players and I'm trying to figure out which ones to try. Any thoughts on what I should look at? I almost forgot, I would like to keep the price at about $1000.00 CAN.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1785
Hard to go past the Rega Apollo for that sort money - give one a listen or better still, audition one at home in your system if you can find a dealer with a return policy. Otherwise, if you trust many people's ears on this forum - just go and buy one. I doubt you'll be sorry.

Nanaimo, B.C Canada

Post Number: 2
MR

So do you think a new quality cd player will make a noticable improvement over the old one?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1787
Steve, unless you have tin ears ( and I doubt you have) listening with an Apollo in your system after a 5 disc Yammie player would be like eating honey when all you've had is molasses. Hang on - some people love molasses.

Seriously, it would be a very worthwhile upgrade imho. I once had a 5 disc yammie, then a 5 disc marantz CC4300 (which was far better than the Yammie btw) next I used a very good universal player for cds and then I got the Apollo which was a revelation. Now I have a Naim which only just pips the Apollo (imo) but it's grand more here (rrp).

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5758
Changing to a good source will make a significant difference and so would switching to a better power supply. Perhaps a good integrated amp. If you need the AVR for HT then please disregard.

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 134
cambridge AZUR 640c v2 should come around your price level,and for me it has been non-problematic and sounds great.i have PSB image B25 speakers and a cambridge AZUR 540A v1 intergrated amp.
good luck with cd player

Nanaimo, B.C Canada

Post Number: 3
Thanks for all the replies. Well that confirms it, time for a new player. Art: I use the system for TV & movies so I need a reciever. Could I keep the reciever and use it as a preamp with a new amp? How would the audio quality be with the HK as a preamp? A local dealer sells Cambride so I'll take a listen to the 640 & 740. I'll have to head out of town to listen to the Apollo. Once again,Thanks for your replies.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9449
SW, 2 channel for movies? You don't have to use a receiver for that. An integrated amp or seperates work great for 2.1 movies

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2584
Steve,

Don't expect the world to come crashing round your old 5-disc Yamaha changer when you put it up against a quality player like the Rega, but do expect to suddenly start choosing to play music more often than is currently the case...

Good CD players illustrate what's been missing from your music for all these years. It can be just a 'worthwhile improvement' but it can also be an epiphany. It depends on many factors including your mood, day of the month, and if the planets are in the correct alignment, but if it gels, it'll move you in ways you won't have recognised as possible until now, and it will continue to do so - until you need another HiFi 'hit' of course...:-)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1789
How quickly we forget - I had the NAD C542 before the Apollo of course. Which, although not an Apollo or a Naim, the C542 is a fine player for a lot less money.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 879
I agree with M.R. For the price of the C542, nothing beats it.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2597
Thing is the OP has an open window with the Sttafs on the end. He needs a good CD player to bring through a decent signal.

Yes, the C542 is a great player and excellent value for money, but I'd go higher if at all possible.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 883
Apollo minimum.

Nanaimo, B.C Canada

Post Number: 4
Wow this is good info. Nuck, I never thought that I could use an integrated amp for 2.1 movies, thanks. Frank, what is "OP"? Also would a Cambridge AZUR 640c v2 qualify as a quality player like the apollo?

Nanaimo, B.C Canada

Post Number: 5
A quick update. I just talked to my local audio store and he recommended three players, Rega apollo $1299 can, Cambridge azur 740C upsampling $1000 can, Marantz SA8001 $1000 can. What do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9458
I think you oughtta get ahold of them to try for yourself at home, if possible.
The 2.1 movies are not going to blow you away like a good ht.
In 2.1, the mains generally have to be moved closer together to get the center channel effect.
That said, I have my mains position marked on the floor for repeatability, and it works quite well for me, at 10% movies. Music dvd's are in stereo only.
2.1 movies are not popular with the HT enthusiests, for good reason.Same as I don't listen in stereo from a HT setup.

Silver Member

Post Number: 887
What if you had a McIntosh A/V 7.1 controller/3 McInstosh Power Amp set for Home theater. Or a Bryston 7.1 pre amp, and a 5 channel Bryston power amp set up for a Home Theater. Nuck- would u listen to music on any of these HT setups?lol. Just curious. My system does well at two channel audio, and its a HT setup. Yes you can get a better two channel system for the same money as a HT Setup, but to say that you wouldnt listen to two channel music on ANY HT setup. Is crazy. I bet Frank's $3000.00 cdn Arcam A/V receiver sounds pretty good on music. I would rather enjoy that.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 157
Steve,

Each one of those CD players you listed has a unigue sound of it's own. The Apollo being the warmer, laid-back and more organic sounding of the three.

The Cambridge is a little more neutral sounding and more punchy.

And from what I have been told and read the Marantz leans a little bit more to the transparent, but leaner side of things (although I have never heard it myself).

Audition them all, figure out which sound presentation fits your personal tastes/preferences and would be a good idea see which player has the better synergy with your other gear.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2603
Steve,

OP = Original Poster - it's common forum language...

The three CD players you mention are all pretty well renowned for good performance high value for money. You need to get your audi store to give you a direct A/B comparison on a suitably open clean system to give you a chance at making a sensible decision.

Nuck,

Moving the mains closer together tightens the stereo image but can confuse it, particularly for music reproduction. I always set up systems primarily for music with the speakers as wide apart as makes sense since that improves bass presentation too. To improve the centre channel effect, I may elect to toe in speakers slightly more.

I don't buy music DVDs but I am surprised that you say they are usually in stereo. I'm sure the recent Dave Gilmour Live DVD is in surround, and I've used one or two in the shop which are definitely surround, some in DTS.

Nick, I'm sorry did you say I had a $3000 CDN Arcam AV receiver? I don't have one of those. I have a $13000 CDN Arcam AV processor/power combination...:-) Yes it is very good indeed. The processor is arguably Arcam's best 2-channel preamp, possibly better than their dedicated FMJ C36 which is saying something really. That said, since 2-channel is becoming my priority once again, I am seriously considering moving back to a higher quality 2-channel solution in combination with a lower quality HT solution. I used to have a sickeningly expensive 2-channel amplifier and both myself and the wife do miss that performance, which was highlighted recently by a tonearm upgrade I have tried temporarily (to become permanent as soon as possible), so it's all change at Casa Abela in the next few months.

I guess the point I'm making is that once one is used to a really high level of performance it's actually quite difficult to come back down. I recall when the Arcam was new that I was really impressed with it because for the money it wasn't that far off my old Chord pre/power. However, as time went by we were playing less and less music, partly because the HT performance is just so outstanding, but partly because of the relative 2-channel performance of the amplifiers. I firmly believe that if I had simply upgraded to this system I'd still be in 7th heaven. It's been an interesting journey so far.

Regards,
Frank.

Nanaimo, B.C Canada

Post Number: 6
Nuck,

I will listen to all three before I choose one. Even though I have an A/V receiver I listen in 2.1, the two fronts and the sub, I guess I didn't need an A/V receiver did I. I find for music the Totem sttafs(mass loaded with 6 lb's of silica sand in each) have ample bass.

NMyTree,

It sounds like the Cambridge might fit the best with my set up as both the receiver and speakers seem on the warm side.

Frank,

This all is still quite new to me so I'm afraid I still don't understand what original poster is. Also should I listen to them with my system or at the store? You have a $13000 A/V receiver, holy S#!t man.

I have to say guy's this is fantastic info. Thank you very much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9463
I wonder about a Rotel 1072? the price was down on them last time I looked.

Would I listen, Nick? Damn, I be bringing the beer!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5769
OP = original poster = you on this thread.

Person who started the thread with the first post is the "OP" or "original poster".

Nanaimo, B.C Canada

Post Number: 7
Thanks Art, I feel pretty stupid right about now. Maybe that's what happens after years of shift work, lol.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5770
No reason to feel stupid Steve there's alot of new lingo on these forums that takes quite awhile to get accustomed to.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2610
Art, no, I think Steve should feel stupid, it's good for the soul! :-)

I feel stupid most days, comes of being in such bl00dy brilliant company here at work. The guys just make me feel like the also ran in the brain stakes.

Steve - just kidding, OK? It's a joke, a joke! :-) incidentally, if any of your local audio stores do Creek Audio, they may be worth a listen. I've been hearing some disturbingly good things about their range.

Regards,
Frank.

Nanaimo, B.C Canada

Post Number: 8
lol no worries Frank, I'll see if he sells Creek Audio. When you mentioned the Sttafs have an open window on the end, is that referring to high frequency response?

B.C Canada

Post Number: 9
Well I have been auditioning the Marantz SA8001 & Rega Apollo all evening, and the winner is Apollo. Vocals on the Rega are much cleaner and bass is deeper and tighter. I'm really enjoying this cdp. One more thing, the audio store gave me XLOPRO HT1 interconnects to try with the cdp. Wow what a major improvement over my esoteric audio cables I've been using. I'LL have to wait a couple more weeks to listen to the Cambridge 740C, but I will post my review after the audition.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us