Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 557
While Arlo's Alice's Restaurant spins.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2674
Not much has been doing it for me lately, although Gravity by John Mayer is doing fine.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 736
Coincidence Stryvn, heard that on the radio this morning. Hadn't heard it in years, a good sign, no?

Michael, wow!! Like Art, you must have excellent garages in your area. All I seem to ever find are old used weed-wackers.

Nothing spinning today, but there were football games, and the smell of turkey..oh the smells. Hmm, where's my Tums??

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 862
The Snow Patrol Cd is superb. I will be shopping for their other (two I think) CDs soon. If the Reference Thread had been available when I first got it, I had asked my daughter to get me something I did not have but might enjoy, I may have posted that one on there.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 863
Sem, the stuff usually isn't in the garages. Folks don't think to put it out as they do not expect an audience for it and its not easy to lug around milk crates or boxes of LPs. I am actually 2 for 4 in asking. One never knows unless you ask.

I can see Art now...."Got any MAC gear you're not using?"

LOL. I would not be suprised if he pulled that off too.

Thanks for the kudos all.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5665
Good job Mike...lots of great listening ahead for ya!

Hey, I got goals man. M&M....Mac and Maggies (for different systems).

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 751
I heard $h!t Shop had a 3 cd's for 20 dollars deal. For the American folk go to your local Best Crap, they have the same thing.

Tonight I picked up and am listening to at the moment:

Tom Petty-Full Moon Fever
Steve Miller Band-Greatest Hits 1974-78
The Best of Guess Who
Tool-Opiate ---Mike Wodek, this is their first cd ever released. Consist of 6 songs. A must have for Tool fans. Can be had for 9 dollars CDN. So like 6 Cents American.haha. I havnt listened to it yet, to see what kind of sound quality it has.

Silver Member

Post Number: 559
I think 9 dollars CDN now equates to, like, $147.50 US, doesn't it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 752
LOL- something like that Stryvn.

Username: Dbnh77

NH USA

Post Number: 10
Tonight I have been listening to The Essential Nina Simone.

Why is it that the music section threads seem to center around topics such as ""who's the baddest rapper," and "what's that badass bass song?"

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 871
Dana, you have ten posts and I think I have read them all...LOL

Nick, thanks for that head's up on Tool. I will look for it, and if I could afford the exchanger rate, I may even buy it.

Tonight we have;

The Beatles - Hey Jude
The Beatles - 1967 - 1970
both aforementioned vinyl

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5667
Dana , that's why this thread is here...

Bronze Member

NH USA

Post Number: 13
So you don't spend too much time pondering the whole east coast vs west coast rap fued and how you can play a role in helping bring about a positive, peaceful resolution Art?

Seriously though...I have a very ecclectic taste in music which extends to rap but it just seems that everyone under the age of 26 these days bugs the living s*@t out of me if I have to be arounf them for more than two minutes.

One thing I would like to do in the coming months and years is educate myself regarding classical music. I have always listened to it, used to study to it in high school and college. However there are so many terms, concepts and obscure composers that it is hard to pin down what one likes right away when they hear it.

Are there any resident classical music buffs on this site?

Silver Member

Post Number: 758
Dana, im 25, and being a member of this forum in the last few months has really opened my eyes when it comes to music tastes. Someone will be along shortly with a better knowledge of classical.

Bronze Member

NH USA

Post Number: 14
I'm 30 and I didn't mean every single person under 26, and I wasn't just talking about musical tastes. it's just that there seems to a generational gap right around 24 - 26. It seems as if the under 25 generation is lazy, whiny, they expect everything to be handed to them, their obsession with pop culture and celebrities is nauseating, and their general attitude and outlook on life sucks. But hey maybe that's just something all people go through when they hit their early 30's and look at the people that are younger than them.

By the way Nick...... what are some of your favorite types of music, artists, bands, songs, etc?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5668
"So you don't spend too much time pondering the whole east coast vs west coast rap fued and how you can play a role in helping bring about a positive, peaceful resolution Art?"

No!

I have very ecclectic tastes which include all music...I won't even comment on whether I think rap is music...to each his/her own.

I have an extensve classical and jazz library...listening to Bach Violin Sonatas as I type.

Both Naxos and Classicstoday have great websites and have a great deal of information about classical music.

First thing I would do if I were interested in classical music is acquire a Penguin Guide to Compact Discs for classical music (they also do Jazz however I'm not as fond of their Jazz guide). Try to find one at a used bookstore that's 2-3 yrs old. It was the first advice given to me by my best mentor for classical music and it is how I picked up a great deal of the language. The Peguin is very instructive relative to performances and artists. In the end once you've gotten past your awe of their knowlwedge of the subject and begin to understand what they believe makes a good performance you will begin to form your own opinions and that's when it really gets fun.

I also recommend to folks who aren't well acquainted with classical music to read "The International Guide to Building a Classical Music Library" by Bill Parker. It's a fun read and very informative...again try to find it at a used bookstore...

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 738
Art, Michael, et al, I just picked up an old Technics turntable - SL-Q200, for free from a friend of a friend, though not at a garage sale :-) It was just in his basement picking up dust. It's missing the ground wire which leaves it buzzing like a swarm of angry bees. Since the wire is supposed to plug into a jack at the TT end does anyone know where one finds a wire like this? Short of that, is there a simple work-around that would accomplish the same result? I've posted my question over on the Phono forum here as well.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 874
I have a couple of ideas Sem. I read your work around, it appears that it will work while lacking stability.

I would wait for Art, Nuck, or Jan to reply as my answer would be non-technical conjecture, logical, but conjecture just the same.

In the thread where Jan provides instructions for DIY ICs there is a bit about ground wiring included.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11783

I don't know what sort of "jack" you have on the back of the table but most "jacks' are standardized in size and configuration. Possibly you need a 1/8" miniplug. It's imposible to tell from what you've posted. But you don't require anything other than a connection from a grounding point on the table to a grounding point on the pre amp/receiver. You can take the bottom plate off the table and run a bare wire connection from the internals of the jack to the receiver. Or you can do the same from the location where the jack gets its feed. All you need is a simple wire from one ground point to another.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5669
I've not seen a jack used for a ground...most grounds on Technics tables are proprietary in which case as Jan has stated take the bottom plate off and go from there. Most any wire will do. I used a length of speaker wire for one of my tables...it was the first thing I got my hands on.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 875
Amazing Rhythm Aces - Too Stuffed To Jump
Vinyl

I can see where some folks would like this, a little bit like a four cylinder Lynard Skynard, good vocals, some nice moments with various instruments, but it just never takes off or grabs me.

Peter Gabriel - Up
CD

This would be a good CD to see what your system is up to as it does just about everything to your ears, including making it sound like weird stuff is happening outside of your room.

Then again maybe I should just keep the door closed...

Silver Member

Post Number: 767
lol Michael- The Peter Gabriel cd's truly are something alright. Great cd to show off a system.

Art-"I won't even comment on whether I think rap is music...to each his/her own." - I will, I hate Rap. Now hate is a strong word....and thats why I use it to describe rap. Again, RAP is not music. IMO.lol

Dana- As you can see, I dont like rap. I listen to Rock, Metal, New Age Metal, Classical Rock, some classical stuff, and then anything that sounds good on my system, as my setup really reveals how poor most of the metal recordings sound, making me listen to a lot of different music I have seen posted on this forum. And I like it. For example...Peter Gabriel cd that Mike just posted. As far as my music tastes are concerned, I wouldnt listen to Peter. But music like his sounds so good, and really reveal the qualities of your gear, that its hard not to have a Peter Gabriel cd laying around to show off the setup. So..I guess I listen to a bit of everything, but not rap, and not country. Hate both. Favorite band of all time would be Led Zeppelin(no im not a 25 year old hippy).lol.

Hey my local radio station (K-Rock, 105.7) claim that Led Zeppelin have announced that they are not only doing a reunion concert in England, but now doing a full World Wide tour. B o I n G!!!. Road Tour anyone??

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5670
The reason I didn't want to comment on whether I think rap is music is simple. This is a thread for folks to post whatver music they are listening to without judgement. That music might be Dr Dre or it might me Merle Haggard...in either case I don't want anyone feeling self conscious about posting it...who died and left me the arbiter of good taste anyway...lol!

Silver Member

New York/Cal... USA

Post Number: 741
Turntable update - all set. After trying a 1/8th" mini-plug, which was too big, I ran down to Radio Shack and picked up a 3/32" connector...which ended up being too small. Art, looks like it might be proprietary, as you mentioned. At any rate, soldering is done, sounds good. First vinyl rip - 10cc's "Deceptive Bends" in process as I type. Thanks guys!!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2292
"...It seems as if the under 25 generation is lazy, whiny, they expect everything to be handed to them..."

Dana,

My parents thought this of my generation. Their parents thought it as well. I pretty sure this has gone on since the begining of time.

Whining and laziness, along with everything else you said don't discriminate. You can find these people from every generation, race, religion, and so on.

Now back to the music...

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
Vinyl today....

Sade - Diamond Life and Promises.

And the Police Zenyatta Mondatta. REAL nice!

Eric Clapton Time Pieces.

And Toto IV

On a lazy saturday afternoon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
Stryvn- Great stuff.

Art- lol I know what you mean, when I was typing that I meant it in a playful way. I should have threw in a smiley face or something. There.haha

I love all kinds of music Dana. Just messing around.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9300
The Payola$.
I heard 'Eyes of a Stranger' in the car early today, and it has been rattling around in my head at the airport, on the plane, in the rental car and on the job.
Last week was more fun with Rush 'The Camera Eye' in my hollow noggin, I think.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1544
I've was listening to Eric Clapton-Mr. Johnson and Me, then I switched over to A Christmas Carol-as performed by Patrick Stewart to get me in the holiday spirit.

Tonight I'm going to see The Rolling Tones cover The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Bands tunes http://www.nocerino.com/therollingtones/ , I've seen them before and they ain't half bad.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5671
Speaking of Christmas music, last night I listened to Wynton Marsalis "Crescent City Christmas Card" and wow is that fabulous album.

Listened to some John Rutter xmas music today along with a bunch of other classical pieces...

Presently playing

George Rochberg
Symphony No. 5
Black Sounds
Transcendental Variations
Saarbrucken Radio Symphony Orchestra
Christopher Lyndon-Gee, Conductor

Just prior...

Nicholas Flagello
Symphony No. 1
Sea Cliffs
Theme, Variations and Fugue
Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra
David Amos, Conductor

A little bombast this afternoon!

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 876
CD Warehouse

Elvis - 30 #1 Hits
In The Court Of The Crimon King - An Observation By King Crimson
Ottmar Liebert - Nouveau Flamenco

All CDs of course. These three draw a wide circle around my listening habits, wide but accurate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 772
I don't have a good record player yet, or I would...

http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-bunch-records-for-sale-allo f-them-10-00-W0QQAdIdZ30391171

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 1008
Ottmar Liebert...

was listening to Summer Flamenco and Borrasca last night.

Another Liebert lover... :-P

my listening circle..

Ottmar Liebert
Sade
Diana Krall
Michael Bolton
Madonna
Nickelback
Daughtry
Finger 11
Melissa Etheridge
Timbaland
Nelly Furtado
Destiny's Child
Boney James
The Judds

there are others of course, but this is a pretty wide distribution of my musical taste.

Bronze Member

NH USA

Post Number: 15
Nickleback.......I think they may be very near the top of my "worst bands of all time list." That's no small feat.

Sade is good though and having grown up in the 80's I enjoy Madonna's early stuff...before she forgot she is from Detroit and developed a fake British accent.

I noticed that a few people have admitted to not liking country and have not really seen anyone else mention it among the stuff they've been listening to lately. By Country I mean pre 1990's stuff. Most of today's so called country is nothing but commercially pop crap produced stuff intended to appeal to the same people who listen to Britney spears.

I hope that i'm not the only one who enjoys country though.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 879
I suppose whomever on this forum that wants to see the Zeppelin concert better be prepared to sell some gear in order to afford it.

Hope I am wrong.

I just found this week on my XM Radio "XM Led". I wonder if the tour and them havin their own XM station are related? Hope not for that too as it would be part of the ticket cost, ya think?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5674
You haven't read the whole thread have you Dana. It wasn't that long ago I was listening to Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash and Emmy Lou Harris.

Hopefully you read my response to your classical query.

Bronze Member

NH USA

Post Number: 16
Yeah I read the advice you had on the classical music guides Art. It's much appreciated. I just didn't happen to see the one where you mentioned the country stuff you like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 776
Michael Wodek- I hear a ticket to see Led Zeppelin is going to be roughly 500 dollars American. EEEEK. I hope that information turns out to be wrong.

Bronze Member

NH USA

Post Number: 18
Exploring classical music tonight.

I just listened to Chopin's Piano Sonata No 2 (Funeral march).

It is the most morose piece of music I've ever heard. It really is quite eerie.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11214
Classical will also challenge your speakers, as well as your mind. There's so much more up for interpretation. It can be quite a trip.

This from a guy who was a "metal head" in the late 80's and into club/trance in the 90's. Now I can find something in almost any musical genre.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2293
Dana,

This thread isn't about bashing artists/genres/whatever else that you don't like. Its about what music the poster likes. I'm not into a lot of the stuff listed, and I'm sure most aren't into the stuff I've listed.

The point is to discuss the music we like. If we all put down music we didn't like, it would be like the thread in the music section that you complained about. Don't turn this thread into that thread.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5677
Chopin is a good start Dana...keep listening....

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11223
Who here remembers the movie Mr Holland's opus?

Fantastic movie that sums up this entire/never ending thread IMO.

Whatever helps you appreciate music......

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5678
I have Mr Holland.

Yep.....

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1733
Picked up some vinyl at the local fleamarket this weekend.

Dire Straits - Communique
George Benson Collection - double album
Springsteen - The River - double album
Ray Charles - a best of. A NZ pressing around 1980
Australian Crawl - Crawl File
Joan Armatrading - Me, Myself, I
Mellencamp's Scarecrow

All in all, they are in fair to good condition. The Ray Charles album was a lousy copy with below par SQ unfortunately.

Been getting into Abbey Rd on remastered cd. Magical!

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
I'm drinking beer from Holland.

And listening to vinyl.
The Beatles Greatest Hits
And, get this,...Frampton Comes Alive

Dana, it's about the tunes, man. You're entitled to your opinion. But so are the millions of Nickleback fans. You ain't right, and they ain't wrong. If it grooves you....well, so be it. Music moves people. And that's what we all have in common.

If you really want to get freaked out, go to the Guilty Pleasures thread. Whoa! lolol.

And I hide my Abba cd's when company comes over.

Silver Member

Post Number: 564
MR...That Dire Straits Communique album is truely one of my favorites. I do not have it on vinyl...but I search. Nice find.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1734
MR...That Dire Straits Communique album is truely one of my favorites

One of mine also, Stryvn - it was in good nick too! I have the remastered copy on cd - It will be an interesting comparison when I have time. I'll post the results when done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 783
I want my MTVVVVvvvvvvVVVvvvv....

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 882
Brothers in Arms? I have that on CD and vinyl. It too belongs in the reference thread.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2686
Yay for Dire Straits.

I want to get the CAKE CD "Prolonging the Magic" for the song "Never There."

I'd really like to get this on a high quality CD file.

Bronze Member

NH USA

Post Number: 19
I didn't realize people were so sensitive to someone saying they don't like a particular band or artist.

Hey stryvn if Abba is one of your guilty pleasures you might want to check out Abba teens.

My guiltesit of guilty pleasures would probably have to be Hanson's mmmmmbop. Don't know why but I like that song.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1735
I played a couple of tracks from Communique on the Xpression and the CD51 - darned if I could pick the winner. More listening I guess.

Dana, I for one didn't think you were bashing music genres or other people's tastes, but merely pointing out what you didn't like about that piece. Don't worry about it. Stu was just having a bad hair day - weren't you Stu?

I thought this was about music selections - not necessarilly what we like or don't like - long as we don't criticize others for their choices. If I'm wrong I guess I'll get told.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5679
I believe this thread is about what we play and enjoy...what we don't like and or talk down is certain to be someone else's favorite...that may lead to someone being uncomfortable sharing their music, that would be unfortunate. I hope this thread is a place for sharing what we listen to and enjoy, always room for another music bashing thread over in the music section.

Dana, we've been hypervigilant on this thread to keep it from going awry and with all of the folks that post here and our varied tastes it would be easy for it to get away from us. I thank you for being open minded about it...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1736
I got your original version Art. Yep, you see right.

heh, heh!

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
17 new lp's today. Among them, Claptons 461 Ocean Boulevard and Slowhand.

Both sounded real nice.

And the best of the Little River Band along with their Sleeper Catcher album.

Pat Travers
Robin Trower
Fleetwood Mac stuff for my Dad.
Joe Walsh - You Bought It You Name It

I like the funny looks you get when you walk out with a stack of old records. lol.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5680
LOL!!!....I tried to remove it fast MR....not fast enough I guess...!

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 248
Warren Haynes Live at Bonnaroo - Great Acoustic Guitar/Vocals Music

Fav Tracks-- Lucky and Beautifully Broken.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2691
Yeah, for example, I'm listening to Wheels by Cake right now.

Nobody says anything because if you don't have something good to say, don't say it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 786
Andre I keep hearing a re-make of Black Sabath-War Pigs by Cake on the radio. Is that song on that album your listening to? That song rocks.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 410
Yeah! That's a great cover... Andre would like the bass line.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2295
I haven't heard that one yet. A while back (about 10 years ago; I'm getting old) Cake did a cover of I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor.
It was actually pretty good. Cake has some pretty good songs. To me they've been hit or miss, along with the Mighty Mighty Bostones. I'm waiting for a greatest hits CD from either of them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
Yea Stu...that's on Fashion Nugget. They're one of those bands (IMO) that the music is real good or it's really not.

I should, however, get Cake's cover of Bread's Guitar Man from the Pressure Chief album down to Wodek.

Silver Member

Post Number: 567
Check your mail, Stu

Silver Member

Post Number: 787
Im reading good things about Cake's new cd. I agree that a few of their releases have been pretty bad. The War Pigs cover is pretty sweet. It was last weeks most requested song on K-Rock.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2299
Right back at you Stryvn.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 883
Cough, cough, cough, choke, gag. Ahem, aaachooo!!!

Sorry, must of been something stryvn posted.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 884
I was going to forward this as an email to all of you whose private emails I have but that would not get it to enough folks. John A., This one's for you.

Some of you may not like opera, but you have to check this out. This in incredible! You know the show "America's Got Talent", well, this is the British version.

READ THIS FIRST THEN CLICK THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM AND WATCH!

This is a story about a guy, a guy like most of us, common,
questioning his existence, measuring himself to others, never
believing in his abilities or his worth.
Then one day, his passion outgrew his fears as he stepped onto a
stage, a stage that took him to a place beyond his self imposed
prison.

Watch the faces of the judges as this guy walks out on the stage. You
can almost see what they're thinking as they pre-judge this guy based
on his looks and the fact that he's a cell phone salesman.

Maybe this guy stopped believing in what people told him for so many
years and ultimately started listening to his passion.

http://www.maniacworld.com/Phone-Salesman-Amazes-Crowd.html

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 885
Found Audioslave (not Cochise yet) CD

Track 1 is the song Cochise. I will keep looking for the Canadian CD - Cochise. It is on the Saturn in 5,4,3,2,1....

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1739
Mike

Paul Potts winning that contest was a big hit on Utube a while back. We discussed it on old dogs I think. He brings tears to the eyes - well my wife's eyes of course LOL!

It was a great story, He recently toured here and his debut cd was a top seller both here and in the UK. I bought it for my dear mother.

Silver Member

Post Number: 792
Good find Mike. Cochise the cd has the superior sound quality I am told. Not sure which cd you got. But its Audioslave, that is all that matters.lol.

For what its worth, Tool-Opiate sounds horrible. But great music none the less.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 889
I am now an Audioslave fan. Thanks Nick!

Had it at low levels but it was killing me. Finally for the first time this year I think, I killed the amps and put on the Sennheisers.

This is really good stuff. Will keep searching for Cochise,

and B.B. King - Live at Cook County Jail (for Stu)

Peter White

Govi

Tool

others I cannot remember at the moment or will soon will find that I should be searching for

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2694
Yay, more people are liking the music I do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 796
lol Awesome Mike. Gotta love the singer of Soundgarden(Chris Cornell) mixed with the band of Rage Against the Machine. FWIW Rage are back together and going to tour in 08. Chris Cornell has a fairly new Solo album with a remake of Michael Jacksons Billy Jean. The album is very mellow, but also sounds nice. That guys voice just sends shivers down my spine. Top 10 rock singers of all time IMO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 797
Keep Rocking Andre- you pick up B-Sides and Rarities by Cake yet?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2697
Not the money to have, Nick.

Rage, back together? I'd like to see them perform Renegades of Funk live.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 415
That would be awesome, Renegades is one of my fav RATM songs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 803
Bulls On Parade baby. I seen them live when I was 16 at the Docks in TO. They opened with Bulls On Parade and I almost died. Good times indeed. Good times. Not as good as the Tool/System Of a Down/Slayer concert I seen in T.O. when I was 18 though. Well..come to think of it, I was almost crushed at the Tool one too though. yeah...Good times.lol.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 418
I remember seeing Slayer a couple of times at the Concert Hall in T.O. when I was younger. Saw a dude fall off the balcony and do face-plant on the hardwood floor below. Looked like it hurt ;-)

LOUDEST show I ever saw was Sepultura/Pantera at the Gardens. Even Andre would be impressed with the volume level. My ears rang for days...

Silver Member

Post Number: 806
lol Finger Eleven came to my college, and I was standing about a foot away from the singer, I could have grabbed the guys foot. My ears rang for a good week as well. Good times. And no harm done...that i know of. Man that Pantera concert would have been sick.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 892
R.E.M. - Out of Time Vnyl
Led Zeppelin - a few cuts out of my box set Vinyl

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2699
Anything more than 100dB average (higher frequencies) is way too loud, since I last checked volume levels with my SPL meter.

Now, with bass, 16hz at 130d never hurt anyone, did it? Well, maybe.

Pantera would be LOUD! Gee... WALK!

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2701
I was playing some version of Carol of the Bells and it was showing between 20-25hz on the low notes...

I would like a subwoofer even more now.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 309
Sounds like fun guys. Too bad I am unfamiliar with most of it. Sorry, but I am trying to keep up. There are a few up there that I know. I googled Marc Sherman's Warren Haynes. I always felt Almond Bros was one of the very best bands of the era. look for him on UTube.

Going way back to Dire Straits who has been a top favorite of mine going back to the vinyl days. Another favorite was the double live album, "alchemy". A collection of the best of a tour.

Which brings me to my new cd- Just got the brand new Mark Knofler cd: "Kill to get Crimson". I love it, but that's true of all his work. As for this one, I would describe it as a sequel to Shangrala (2004), one of his best 'folk rock' style recordings. If you don't have his solo recordings, go for this one first. Also good was the one before that 'Ragpickers dream '02 that had a very funny song about the Gerry Springer show.
For fans of his more "countryish-folk" ? Go for "All the Road Running", his awsome collaboration with Emmy Lou Harris. This is not the same as the CD/DVD package- "Real Live Roadrunning". The CD is not the same, not as great as the other CD, but the DVD is big fun. It has songs from the other CD plus some old Knopfler material. He has the great fiddler Stewart Duncan who has played with John Prine, Iris Dement and many others. (not the same fiddler on his new album).

I believe that is one of those rare performances that transcends genre which is to say, anyone who likes music at all would like it. That is fodder for another post. I have a few more like that.

After Dire Straits hit in '84 "Brothers in Arms" he made Notting Hillbillies (see allmusic.com), which has to stand as among his best work outside Dire St. It also appeals to a wide range of tastes.

If you have seen the movie "Local Hero" set in Scottland you may recognise Knofflers' soundtrack. That fits in the quiet bed time music with ECM or Windham Hill except that it is Mark.

Back to Country-ish- In 1999, Willie Nelson made an all instrumental album. I would never have noticed except it was on Down Beat's 5 star best of the year list. In spite of having Johnny Gimble on fiddle, it is more reminiscent of Stephan Grapelli, Django. They even do Fats' Wallers Honeysuckle Rose for example. This recording also passes the test of appealing to almost everyone who hears it. This one makes my list of all time great recordings, what some journalists call their "desert island disc list". I just saw that cliche again in a new magazine!

I have ample opportunity to test music on a wide range of people because we have a huge family. Big parties at Gramma's house with 25 to 30 people, all of which also visit separately. I play mucic she likes and watch reactions of others.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 310
Speaking of Classical music- I end up listening accidentially when my Jazz program (Jazz with Bob Parlucha) ends. Then they go to classical which I often leave on. Especially the small group stuff. For some strange reason, I also like small group jazz better too. No explaining taste, but I almost always prefer small group over big band or orchestra.

I have been playing Yo Yo Ma: "Obrigado" in Brazil. He gets together with Oscar Castro Neves, Paquito D'Rivera, Rosa Passos, Egberto Gismonti and others. Nice change. Classical meets the Bossa Nova jazz stars.

Which inspired me to dig out Joe Pass in Brazil. Again w/Oscar CN, Paulinho da Costa, and others, on Pablo in 1978. Norman Granz' Pablo was great!

I just got and played a 'new' DVD "Norman Granz Jazz in Montreux" with Milt Jackson, Ray Brown '77. Monty Alexander is fab on piano. Also featuring Clark Terry and Lockjaw Davis. I have tons of this Pablo on vinyl but it was really fun seeing the concert!
I just have a basic Samsung DVD player but it DOES sound good on the Rotel/Quad set up. Music that swings and be'bops this hard would sound good on a table radio!
Slowly picking up a few DVDs. Have Santana Supernatural and just today got his '88 Montreux Jazz Fest Live with Wayne Shorter.
Those 2 Montreaux concerts and the above named Knofler;

John Prines' Sessions on 54th Street with the great guitarist Jason Wilber who has been touring for a few years with him and playing on his last few recordings. This is a wonderful sounding trio with a stand up bass, Prines' acoustic guitar and Jason mixing the electric g-tar, lap steel, mandolin, and dobro. Iris Dement sits in for the songs Prine did on his old timey Country album "In Spite of Ourselves", duets with lady singers.

The only other ones are Sade Lovers Live (comes packed w/ Lover's Rock cd);
and a super fun concert with Daniele Mercury from the Tropicalia school of Brazilian Pop.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 311
Anyone who wants to hear an unusual, great ethereal sounding electric bass, Eberhard Weber. Look at anything he did on ECM. I have been going thru the vinyl. He played with Gary Burton.

Found a Tomasz Stanko album with Dave Holland in the stacks. "Balladyna". Original vinyl from 1975! (I am too old!) How much will you give me for that one Art?

Back to cd on the Rotel set:
John Hiatt- "Master of Disaster".
Prine- In Spite of Ourselves
Prine- Standard Songs for Average People,

Tierney Sutton- "I'm with the Band",
Patricia Barber- "Verse"
Diana Krall- "Love Scenes"
Brazilian jazz you never heard of.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2702
I wish I could find my Trans-Siberian Orchestra "A Lost Christmas Eve" CD!

I want to listen to it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 570
Nice stuff, Kevin.

I push that Notting Hillbillies album on anybody who will take it. I think it is maybe the finest album you have never heard. Great stuff and nobody knows about it. Well, few do.

I enjoy the Local Hero soundtrack on vinyl. Same with Alchemy.

Got any Loudon Wainwright III? Anybody that listens to Prine surely has some Wainwright, no? Rodney Crowell?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5685
Wow Kevin, I wish I had found that Stanko album...heck I've never heard of it...now you have me very curious!!!

I saw Gary Burton last year with Chick Corea...Crystal Silence, very good indeed.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 897
Somewhere I have that Trans Siberian Christmas light video....

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2317
I blew the dust off of some stuff I haven't listened to in about 6 or 7 years -

Candlebox - Self titled
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Everlast - Whitey Ford Sings The Blues

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
Stu- The Self Titled Candlebox album is fantastic. There second offering "Lucy" was pretty good too, and then they went down hill fast after that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9329
I like the everlast

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same double cd. Over and over and over and over and...

Stu?

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2703
Stray Cat Strut

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2704
Oh, and I like Candlebox.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9336
Fleetwod Mac, first album.
And Janis..pearl.
On vinyl.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5689
Yep!!!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 315
stryvn- I'm glad you know the Hillbillies. I have a cd collection at my Mom's house of all the stuff she likes. Another favorite of hers' is the Mark Knopfler/Chet Atkins duo "Neck and Neck". A beautiful verson of Sweet Dreams on that.

Wainwright has been suggested to me before so I need to get busy.
Rodney Crowell I don't recognize. Now that I googled it, it seems I should have heard him. I will look for both.

Re: New ones I learned of here, I just played "amused to death".
I read a review of the 1st Pink Floyd album being realeased. They called it a forgotten treasure.

Everlast, Is that the one on Santana's Supernatural? Great stuff!

You guys are really hitting some classics: Beattles, Zeplin, Fleetwood Mac, Janis, etc!
I don't know a lot of the other new stuff named.

Now I am out of control! I just went to the Supermarket and bought a Diana Krall DVD. I can't even be trusted to just buy groceries. It was packaged with a "Very Best of...." cd. The cd has two previously unreleased cuts:
Tom Waits' "Heart of Saturday Night", (one of my all time top albums!) and "Only the Lonely". The cd contains no songs from my least favorite of her cds, "Girl in the Other Room", her collaboration w/ her hisband Elvis Costello. NOT a critism of anyones taste, but for me, I liked all her other work better. Not surprising since she has borrowed from the classic Great American Songbook, then suddenly doing Costello material. Maybe it's good, I just didn't get it in comparison. Now I can give it a chance because the DVD is where she does those songs.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 318
Art- According to AMG Balladyna was reissued on cd in 2000. They show a plain cover. The LP has a landscape painting. http://wm08.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3zfqxqehldke
I see now why that did not become a favorite album. I like the style and mood but I am not so fond of the Sax player Tomaz Szukalski. It is a 2 horn, bass and drum quartet.

I guess this is inspiration to finally try out my cd burner. Then I can part with the LPs I don't need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us