Classe or Rotel or...

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2737
I'm trying to figure what to do to match the performance of the subwoofer system I'm building at higher frequencies.

The speakers will probably be Paradigm s8s or Studio 100s, with the exception of a front center (unless it's possible to use all the same speaker, which depends on the screen).

Most of the time I listen to music, but movies will probably start finding their way in.

The volume is normally at a level that I deem appropriate for the occasion, whether that's a party or falling asleep.

We have a local store (where I've bought a couple things) that carries Classe, Rotel, and some others which I can't remember.

What is it about Classe that is considered good? Would it be considered just better or different than stuff like Rotel?

I'll have to listen, but what's your take on this? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5754
Classe is in a different league (better) than Rotel. Both make very good gear in their price range.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9435
Have you priced Classe?

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 509
Anthem could offer you a mid point between the rotel and classe, plus, they are not real expensive compared to classe, and are a product of sonic frontier? which is tied into paradigm. Ive owned rotel, and anthem in the past, and would give the nod to the Anthem over the Rotel, especially paired with the Paradigms. If your going to step into Classe, be prepared to pay, because it is in an entirely different league than any of the above mentioned.

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2738
Nuck - sorry to hear (sigh) ... prayers will be said

Since they don't carry Anthem, then comparisons between Classe and Anthem would be the Classe retail price multiplied by .6 compared to whatever I can get Anthem for brand new at the same price from an authorized dealer.

I will have to listen to justify the differences, of course.

Bronze Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 58
Andre:: How are you with the new class 'd' stuff?
PS Audio makes a 150x2 which doubles into 4ohms for about 1000$. The 'integrated' version is 100/200 and goes for about 1600.

They also make what they call a 'control' amp which uses some propriatary stuff along with some B&O ICE modules. The GCC series has 3 integrateds, 100, 250 and 500 @8ohms which also double up into 4 ohms. they start around 2800$

Bel Canto also is in this market.

This stuff gets pretty good reviews, runs cool and is load tolerent. Worth a listen? you decide!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5760
That Bel Canto gear sounds mighty fine. I've listened to it on a number occasions and been impressed.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 153
A little off topic, but I had my friend's Bel Canto DAC 2 for a couple of days, and it put my Rotel CD player to absolute shame. I still have a hard time looking at my CD player in the face.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9448
Marc, you should try the 1072

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 154
I will check it out on my next auid excursion.

Silver Member

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 155
audio

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 63
Art: I'm going to audition the BelCanto gear after the 1st of the year. A dealer exists within about 30 miles, so it is an easy hike.
Now the quetion: Will this gear get along with my Maggies?
The DAC2 goes for over 2 large, so that will have to wait for another time!

Gold Member

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2740
I think I'm going to back away from Rotel...

There's a lot of stuff to look at/listen to.

It'll take some time to find the right one for the situation. I'll look into what Leo mentioned and also Bryston/Classe.

The more I read about Bryston, the more I like it. Hmm..

Gold Member

Post Number: 9491
Andre, Brystom makes some pretty good stuff, but the cost goes through the roof for the warranty.
It doesn't break. Ya dig?
Classe builds amps and stuff that don't break as well, the resale is very solid for both.
Kid, If I can't break it, then it is unbreakable.

The big Classe amps are bullit-proof, but expensive. Overpriced, IMO, but I bought the thing falling out of a rich guy's butt.

The ca 300 amp will just blow the doors offa Mac or anything close.
This is a $4000 dollar amp.

I set myself up for a beating with that one, but I ain't lying.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 66
I looked very closely at my Rotel....sure 'nuff, the doors were missing!

Most above named gear are can't miss propositions and depend on what you like, how deep is your pocket and available space. If I had the space, a Bryston 4b or 3b would be on the short list of auditions.

I know I'm looking at integrateds due to space limitations. Krell at 3large is OUT due to it being a space heater. For similar money, PS Audio and Bel Canto are players.

If I could afford more, I could probably also talk myself into a room addition for HT!

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 961
Nuck,

"The ca 300 amp will just blow the doors offa Mac or anything close.
This is a $4000 dollar amp."

Ok, what does that mean?

I heard both classe' and krell, but I still bought a Mac. I like the sound the Mac provides over the others.

BTW the doors are still on my Mac.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5787
"The ca 300 amp will just blow the doors offa Mac or anything close.
This is a $4000 dollar amp.

I set myself up for a beating with that one, but I ain't lying."

Pretty much......the beatin' part anyway....nah, it's all about our preferences anyway. I would rather have a 30 yr old Mac than any Classe however some folks would rather have a Krell than any Mac (nuts in my opinion...note "my opinion").

Gold Member

Post Number: 9493
Hehe, just stirrin' the pot guys.

All good options, maybe some better value than others.
Better than mine, anyhow.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us