Yamaha is bringing their big dogs to America.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 862
http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/1107yamsoavo/

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11853

Oh, boy!!!

I still ocassionally miss Yamaha's "EAR" speaker. It was shaped like a human ear because that's what you use to listen.

Does Yamaha still claim they grow their own trees for the cabinet veneers?

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 151
Yamaha's snowmachines and boat motors are alright...dunno about their speakers though.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Post Number: 1628
I'm pretty sure they make some respectable pianos too, so who knows, they've got their hands in everything.

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
Jan- lol.

I think they should stick to boat motors. Those are fairly expensive though. I wonder.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9420
So does Hyundai.
They make very good pianos and tanker ships.
And not so bad cars nowadays.

Silver Member

Post Number: 865
Hyundai should make speakers.lol. They probably already do somewhere.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh784

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 95
I used to have a $400 Yamaha receiver. For a $400 receiver, it sounded pretty good, and the build quality was excellent at that price point. I'm interested to see what they can bring to the table.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11861

"For a $400 receiver, it sounded pretty good, and the build quality was excellent at that price point."

Now there's high praise for a company!

I used to own a $400 Yamaha receiver also. Of course, that was back in 1977 and the receiver was a CR-220; the bottom of their first line of receivers in the US. It was good enough to give to a friend who hasn't called me since not long after I gave her that receiver. Yamaha has gone downhill from that point on. I never heard a Yamaha speaker that I would want to own.

Silver Member

Post Number: 868
Yup, they sure have been crap X 10.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2351
"I never heard a Yamaha speaker that I would want to own."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9427
Yuck.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 96
Baaaaaaaaaaah.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 161
You tell 'em Josh.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5750
I have a Yamaha RX-V657 which works very nicely with my Boston speakers for HT...also provides XM programming. In other words it serves it's purpose very well. I also have a Yamaha CR450 from the mid 70's which sounds pretty good, I like the Sansui 6060 better but the Yamaha makes very respectable music. Build quality is average on both. The HT receiver is the only one I've owned that I didn't have to return for repair within the first year and that includes NAD, Rotel, Marantz, and Onkyo (early Onkyo AVR's). No complaints here.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 588
I prefer my Harley, thank you very much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
I'm in Milwaukee (out in the country), their HQ but that's off topic. Which model bike, by the way?

Uh, back to Yamahas. There is an intrinsic value to their underpowered, bright yet detailed receivers - throw a wool blanket over your speakers and, voila, you have an HK. HK can't do that in reverse. Their vaunted power supply could not, also, drive my Snell speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 460
Besides them probably sounding sh!t, they're ugly as hell too.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 461
Besides them probably sounding like sh!t, they're ugly as hell too.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 98
I like to think that most things I haven't heard probably sound like sh!t. Especially if they're ugly as hell. This way I keep my options open and am sure to give many things a chance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9434
I never warmed up to the 'naturul sound' series from Yamaha.
Thin sounding.

Speakers? Nawwww.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Hey, Josh, welcome to the wolfpack. You'll get used to it, hang around awhile; they kinda' get excited.

As far as the speakers go, they do look like they were left over from a Jayne Mansfield B-movie.

Silver Member

Post Number: 869

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 462
I've owned Yamaha speakers (ya, I know...). That makes me qualified to say they sound like sh!t.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 99
Hyundai used to make pretty crappy autos, they've turned things around.

I just think it's funny how the general consensus on this forum is to listen, and use your own ears to decide. Then these new Yamaha speakers come around, which nobody has heard, and they get the crap beaten out of them.

Define: hypocrite?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 463
Go ahead and purchase some. I won't be.

To each their own. But we're still free to express our opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 589
FXDL, Jaw. I'm about 35 miles out of Milw.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
stryvn, Low Rider, cool. Can't afford it my kid's UW education is in the balance.

Uh, off topic. Surprise, that's the black Yamaha on the rack behind the speaks. Will say that the art-deco design of the HK's would be more congruent with the speak's motif.

Amazing what HK will do to gain market share of which they have none.

You're right, ninjas don't fare well on Wisconsin roads.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11868

"Then these new Yamaha speakers come around, which nobody has heard, and they get the crap beaten out of them."

I don't remember anyone beating the crap out of these speakers. We've just pounded the stinky dogshit out of every speaker Yamaha has made so far.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 101
I thought the point of the thread was that Yamaha is changing things up, and bringing their high end speakers to the States for the first time in a while.

I, for one, would give them a listen. But maybe I don't hold a grudge as long as some people

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11869

There's a difference between holding a grudge and remembering the past. For God's sake, if it makes you all happy, if the idea of new Yamaha speakers excites you, go listen to these speakers. I won't be meeting you there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 870
lol Jan why not meet us there? We can have some tea and crumpets, and have a grand ol time.

Josh- I agree with Jan on the fact that everything Yamaha has produced in the last two decades have been very very mediocre. But I agree with you however on giving these a chance. I remember reading some very good reviews on Pioneer's high end speakers(3 grand bookshelves,8 grand towers) in magazines like Stereophile,What Hi-Fi and Home Theater mag. So maybe these new Yamaha's will fall into the same category--'A good speaker made by a company who is not known for making good speakers'. Pioneer's big box store brands are absolutely horrible. A disgrace. But here they have these 8 thousand dollar towers for home hi-fi that are suppose to be very very good. In the Home Theater review of these Yamaha speakers, they claim they sound good, but not good for the money. They reviewed these with a Yamaha receiver....WTF!! lol nothing is going to sound as good as they can hooked up to a 800 dollar Yamaha receiver. Jan- You should bring a pair home and hook them up to those MAC's. eh? lol.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5756
Perhaps they should have powered those speakers with these.

http://marketnews.ca/news_detail.asp?nid=3207

Silver Member

Post Number: 871
Wow. Good find Art.

Silver Member

Post Number: 872
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/speakers/soavo.html?CTID=5040543

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Post Number: 1629
These really do look retro, I for one wouldn't mind a listen.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1592
Actually the Yamaha NS's from the 70's were quite good,Yammy made great gear back then,the old NS speakers were revalutionary in detail retrieval back then.I for 1 will be eager to hear the new Yammy gear,comparing Hyundai to Yamaha is rediculous,some of you need to go back and study your audio history,just my 2 cents though.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 465
I had an old pair of NS-30x (I believe they were called). Big ole 3 way speakers a-la mid 80's. At the time I thought they were pretty cool, but as I learned more and more what sounds good I realized they were about as musical as dragging garbage can lids across asphalt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9445
That's regarded as recorded music now, Dave. Times they are a' changin'.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
Now, that IS funny!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
I think it's the tuning forks; everybody's jealous because they got the tuning forks.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5759
Good to see Tawaun!

Silver Member

Post Number: 875
Tawaun- I had said that Yamaha has not made anything decent in decades. We all know Yamaha had some good stuff in the 70's my friend. Hopefully they can bring some of that back to their lineup.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2594
Hmmm, I vaguely recall reading a review of the Soavo-1 a few months back in one of the three mags I read regularly. Not sure which one but it will have been one of HiFi News, HiFi Choice or HiFi+. Oh, I guess it could have been What HiFi since I skim-read that in the shop.

Nobody's mentioned Yamaha clarinets and saxaphones. As for their pianos, horrible things in my opinion. I dislike the sound and generally don't think much of their touch either - which is why we bought a Roland...:-)

Regards,
Frank,

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5764
A whole bunch of great professional musicians would beg to differ Frank...to each his own.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2359
Maybe a stupid question...

Where do you properly audition Yamaha speakers? I haven't seen any in good Hifi shops.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2596
Art, absolutely, I was making my opinion known...

Silver Member

Post Number: 885
LOL - Stu- Good point. Where do find a 1800 dollar Yamaha speaker?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2155
s for their pianos, horrible things in my opinion. I dislike the sound and generally don't think much of their touch either - which is why we bought a Roland.

I thought Roland made only keyboards (i.e. digital pianos) whereas at least Yamaha makes real ones such as you would find in a concert hall.}

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 470
I liked their dirt bikes when I was younger.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2360
They also made the engine and transmission for the Ford Taurus SHO.

Fast as hell. Not very reliable. The manual transmission needed a new clutch every year and a half. It only takes about 3 full days of labor to change. The automatic transmission lasted about 2 years at best. At least that only took a day.

I don't think they had a Yamaha stereo in them for some reason.

Silver Member

Post Number: 889
LOL Ford...

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2599
I thought Roland made only keyboards (i.e. digital pianos) whereas at least Yamaha makes real ones such as you would find in a concert hall.}

Yes, Yamaha make real pianos too, and they sound almost as bad in my opinion. I really dislike the tone of Yamaha pianos. they always sound mechanical to me, whether digital or not. In fact their upright acoustic pianos are the absolute pits, the worst sound they make. At least the digital pianos are sampled of their grand acoustic models so they're just bad rather than awful. As for the Grands, just a waste of fine materials to me.

Now the Rolands, the touch is close to a more traditional European make, and their sounds are sampled from Steinway 'D' grand pianos so they sound far better in my view. Just a shame they're not as pretty as the Yamahas.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1593
Sorry,Frank cant agree with you there,Bob James uses Yammy electronic piano's and he's 1 of the best muscians of all time,his stuff and his group Fourplays stuff is a huge part of my reference recordings,his play on the Yammy piano's are breathtaking along with some of the best recordings in modern and past music!

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Frank on his new Yamaha(minus the British(?) accent)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM-JDDGupIE

Silver Member

Post Number: 892
JAW, thats a pretty cool Grand Piano.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2608
Tawaun,

Bob James makes elevator music...

(runs away to await shelling)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1594
Bob James makes soundtracks and all kinds of music a true great muscian by any standard anyone who says otherwise is a moron that doesent know anything about music,i hope your not 1 of those Frank,oh thats right you only focus on audio equipment,oh my bad your excused then.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9472
Incoming, Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us