Bang for Buck: HK-3485 or Panny SA-xr55

Username: Rly

Post Number: 1
I have read all I can concerning
Low Cost quality receivers and I have narrowed it down
to these two.
I will be strickly listening to music with
2 speakers and sub only.
CD player, Ipod and radio will be my sources.
The Panny can be had for approx. $75 LESS.
Any Pros or Cons between the two.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 775
H/K to my ears, sounds a whole lot better than anything Panasonic has ever made. IMO I would go with the H/K in a heartbeat in that battle.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5675
Yep

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11786

The speakers will probably determine whether the Panasonic should even be considered. What speakers will you be using?

Post Number: 2
I'm running a
Axiom Audio M2 v2 and a velodyne v 1012 sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 777
Thats actually a nice little setup. If you dont mind me asking, how much are you getting the H/K for? Maybe there is something even better in the price range.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11787

I am only running on memory here but I believe this combination has come up before. If the Panasonic is a digital amplifier and the Axioms are not a consistent impedance load, the Panasonic will react to the load of the Axioms and the sound will tend to be quite bright to the point of fatiguing. Do some research on the impedance curve of the Axioms and the operational class of the Panasonic. Digital amplifiers and anything other than a 6-8 Ohm lowest/highest impedance point speaker do not go together.

If that's the case, buy the HK without hesitation.

Post Number: 3
Get the HK for 219. and the Panny for 149

Silver Member

Post Number: 778
I totally agree with Jan. In your case, the H/K should be purchased. And for 219...you cant go wrong. FWIW, I had a Panasonic receiver here that was left with the home. It was one of the newer models, only a few years old. Just for kicks I hooked it up on top of my NAD, and to say the least, the sound was absolutely horrible. They were just hooked up to my rear Monitor 3's,which are sitting on sand filled Monitor Audio stands, and are a very very easy speaker to drive. The little H/K will hold its own in the SQ area, especially given its price.

Username: Noway

Post Number: 8
I had the SA-xr55 and sent it back and bought the HK 3485. The HK 3485 is superior in sound quality, ergonomics (except the lettering on the remote isn't as legible as it could be) and build quality and is easily worth the extra money in my opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 780
A-Men to that Noway.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 411
Looks like it's unanimous.

Go with the HK.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums