CD player ideas and thoughts

Bronze Member
Username: Musicrover

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 56
Hello,

Looking for input for a CDP. $1500.00 range. I will be buying used. I was thinking along the lines of:

Rega Apollo
Audio Aero Prima MK II
Cambridge Audio Azur 840c
Musical Fidelity A5
Raysonic 128

Unit would be placed with a MF A5 integrated and Energy 2.3I Veritas. Music: Larry Carlton, Widespread Panic, Porcupine Tree.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5626
Try to match your amp if possible.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9211
Rover, have you heard any of your choices?

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 57
Right now I was trying to do some preliminary homework Get some insight and then try and find some dealers that carry a particular product line. The MH2.5 (left over form a previous system) I am currently running seems a bit to laid back. For kicks I threw in my modified Toshiba 3960 and to my surprise it took the MH down. I have heard the MFA5 CDP but that was a long time ago. My recollection is that it was nice but I wanted to get more information on what else is available and possible quality match.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5627
I'm not surprised with the Toshiba. I never liked that MH player (or most anything else Roy Hall peddles for that matter).

Bronze Member

Rosville, Ca

Post Number: 58
Art,
It worked well when I had a Jolida 502 amp and the Alegria Emmas. But it can not hang with the MF. Again the difference was not just a little it was by a large margin imo.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5631
Very interesting and yet not surprising. I will be heading for the dealer here again soon to hear MF gear. I have a friend here at ecoustics who has bought a piece and loves it. I used to be a big fan then it seemed that their gear went south and became pretty bland...twice recently I've heard good things...I'm off to hear why...hopefully a return to the sound I once enjoyed....then again it's MF..just as you get used to high performance they'll change again...dadburnit!

Silver Member
Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 169
In this order :-)

Raysonic 128
Musical Fidelity A5
Cambridge Audio Azur 840c
Rega Apollo
Audio Aero Prima MK II - cant commment

Also to add, MF CD players are really nice for Vocals. Heard it through some Dyns - mesmerising.

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2250
Rover,

I don't know your system well enough to know what'll synergize with it. System synergy should be the main priority, not which is the overall best CD player. Just because CD player X is better in every way than CD player Y doesn't mean that X will sound better in your system.

At that price range, you may want to check out the Naim CD5i and/or CD5i. Why couldn't Naim make the diferentiation easier? The CD5i retailed for about $1700, which I believe the new one retails for. If a dealer has a non-italic i laying around, you could save quite a few bucks. But keep in ind that I have no idea how it'll sound with your gear. Naimees tend to hate Musical Fidelity, and vice versa, so they may not play well together. Their's really only one way to find out.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5641
MR thinks they play well togther, so that's at least one testimonial.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1725
Yes I do. The A5 and the CD5i seem a darn good blend to me. While components may have a certain synergy when used together it doesn't mean they won't behave well with others. In fact, to some ears they may play even better. But my cup of tea may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Twinings anyone?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us