NAD C 272 ATO Logic

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 289
I was wondering if any of the other 272 owners on this forum have had problems getting the ATO Logic ("auto turn on/off"?) working.

I believe I have the switches on the back set correctly. The 12 volt switch is in the "off" position, and the "Sleep/Wake Sense Defeat" switch is set to "Sleep/Wake".

No matter how long I wait the amp will not shut down (I eventually have to switch it off from the front standby switch). Nor will the amp turn on automatically when it's provided a signal.

I own two of these amps and neither of these will work. Interestingly, I own and Outlaw 2200, and this thing turns on/off like a charm.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 409
"When the switch is in the SLEEP/WAKE position, the C 272 amplifier will
instantaneously turn on from a standby state, sensing any input signal
from any channel as seen by a lit green SENSE LED on the front panel of
the amplifier (approximately above 20mV RMS input). If all of the audio
signals are absent for approximately 5 minutes, the amplifier will switch
automatically to standby condition, with the green SENSE LED off, and
the amber LED over the front panel switch lit"

Dave- Mine works. But only turns itself to a standby state, and then back on. And to turn it back on, it needs some volume. I didn't like how much volume it needed to turn it back on, so I don't use it. Also I found that there has to be absolutely no audio presence at all for the thing to turn off. Mine takes 5-10 minutes to shut off. Have you tried turning the receiver right off? Also, once the switch is set to Sleep/Wake, unplug the power wire from the Amp and then plug it back in. Worth a try? Hope it starts working. Even if it does, its not great. It actually annoyed me. Cheers.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 290
Hey Nick. I have read the level of volume required to wake the amp is quite loud. Today when I was experimenting with this my baby girl was sleeping, so I couldn't turn it up loud enough to trigger it on. I did try leaving for about 20 minutes after turning my receiver off, and it never shut off.

Thanks for the tip about unplugging the unit after setting the switch. I'll give that a go.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 410
Dave, another idea. Im not sure, even in Sleep/Wake mode that the amp will shut itself off if turned on manually. I think it has to be turned on my an audio presence in order to shut itself off with no audio presence. I could be wrong about this, but I believe when I was playing around with it when I first got it, I found that this was true. It has been a while though. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 198
I own the 272 and have a passive pre. I was told by the pre's mfgr that it may have a negative effect upon sense circuits. The sense function in my 272 does not work well so I simply turn the unit on and back to standby from the front switch. My hsu sub's sense circuit works like a charm! It is not a big deal but... I wish the circuit were a bit more sensitive.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1596
I used this feature on our 272 for about 2 days. It sometimes went to standby even if the volume was low instead of no volume at all. The only other issue I have is with the pre-in and variable pre-in switch. Sometimes, when switched back to pre-in position, only one channel works or both with a slight volume in one. A toggle back and forth fixes this, so it is my belief that these switches might be very sensitive - too much so.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 292
So the general consensus seems to be that the NAD ATO Logic sucks. I kinda wish I knew this before I purchased them, I would have liked to put the amps away in a remote location out of sight. Oh well...

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

UK

Post Number: 430
Yes, it sucketh. :-(

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 299
LOL... glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8704
David, you can stilluse the 12v trigger, right?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 300
I was waiting for you to ask that question, Nuck. Unfortunately my receiver does not have a 12v out, and even if it did, I would need two, since I have 2 272s.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8705
How about 'The Clapper'?

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 304
You, my friend, are a genius.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8709
In a Wile E Coyote kind of way.
Any other componants have a 12v trigger?
tv?

About the Clapper. Boston's 'More than a feeling' might send it into fits.

Lots of ways around this issue, David.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 307
Nice... I could just imagine that.

Nope, no 12v on the TV. I should check the Outlaw to see if it has a trigger out....

Or buy another receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8710
The 2200 has a 12v in and out, for a daisy chain.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 308
Sweet. But that'll only trigger one 272, right? Anyway I could split that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8712
Sure. Just parallel the signal wires.
Voila!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us