Cd players

Username: Dmanwithnoname

London, Ontario

Post Number: 1
Well looking to upgrade. From what I have read I understand adding a decent cd player to the mix seems like a logical upgrade.

Will it make a difference overall?? I currently have a marantz sr-6300 reciever and use axiom m-60's as mains. I currenty use a panasonic dvd player as my music source (dvd f-65) I mainly use 2 channel for listening to music, although it is a 5.1 set up.

I was in a local hi fi shop recently, drooling as per usual and came across a used rega planet 2000, does anyone think that would be a good upgrade? Any suggestions or comments welcome. thanks in advance

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11246

Musically, the Rega would be worlds ahead of the DVD player you now use. No one can tell you what you will hear when you make the switch. You haven't given us any idea what you hear and what you don't care to hear. If all you are concerned about is the amount of bass and treble, most any player will do, though DVD players still often come out on the loosing end of even this comparison. If you want more information from the disc, the player is the place to begin finding it.

Have the dealer demonstrate the benefits of a better player and then decide what you need. Any dealer worth their salt should be happy to do such a demo on a slow weekday. They will not, and should not be expected to, do so on a busy weekend. Take in a few discs you listen to on a regular basis. Listen with an open mind but do not be swayed by the salesperson into believing you hear something you obviously cannot.

London, Ontario

Post Number: 2
Well what i don't care to hear is the strain of treble at higher volume levels, also with more complex source materials such as some classical and actually some electronic music that I listen to. I would like to create more of a dynamic and cohesive soundstage if that makes sence or is even possible given the equipment that I presently own.

I really don't play it super loud, or if I do its only for maybe one or two songs after a few drinks, or if the kids are out with the wife.

Obviously I realize some cd's are just poorly recorded.

I was searching though the archives here and also found something else I would like to ask. I have my player connected using a toslink, so does that mean that i am using the DAC's inside the marantz? I compared specifications from the aforementioned rega and the marantz and i believe the specifications to be the same. I realize that the circuit topography inside each unit is probally very different. Making an analogy that would be like comparing 2 cars, they both have engines- one is a porche and the other a dodge.

What connection do you think is best for a cd player (like the rega) with my present set up?

The dealer I mentioned is very good and has spent alot of time with me in the past, explaining their opinions and answering my questions.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11251

So, what did they suggest? They've spent more time with you than I have and they've played stuff and had you explain what you hear. Did they suggest the Rega?

London, Ontario

Post Number: 3
I'll go on wednesday as they are closed on sunday. That's basically the only time i will have to go this week.

I'll let you know. If anyone else wants to chime in here, i'm all ears until then.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2360
Hi there,

it's likely that the Planet will be significantly better than your curretn setup, particularly if you connect it using the analogue connections. In my view, it also helps not to have any surround modes switched on when you do this. Surround modes such as Dolby Prologic, Hall, Ambience etc make the receiver play around with the timing of the original signal. Switching off these modes for stereo reproduction usually gives the cleanest result. The Planet (in fact any Rega component) is not renowned for its soundstaging abilities. It's mainly known for its highly engaging, rhythmic abilities instead, so I am not convinced this is what you're looking for. That said, it's an unusual presentation and you may find that you just love it, which happens to a lot of people.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 111
"No one can tell you what you will hear when you make the switch."Jan Vigne
Now we're getting somewhere.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11256

No we're not. You're still here.

Go away.

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 114
Sorry. I retract my earlier post. Don't know what became of me. Jan, thanks for bringing me back to my senses.

London, Ontario

Post Number: 4
Thanks Frank, I will keep that in mind.

I've read all kinds of good reviews about this player.

I'm really hoping that my system could benefit from a better player, but you are right I'm not really sure what kind of sound I am after.

This is the first time I have actually been open to the idea of putting greater attention into my source. I'd like to think I'm at least on the right track.

Does anyone on here have any experience with any SA-CD players? Or for the most part are they a dying breed? I occasionally browse though the selection when looking for new music and there never really seems to be much of a selection.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1578
http://www.sa-cd.net/home

The above site will tell you what's available on SACD, though mostly they can be bought on-line. There's hardly anything new now coming out except on classical titles and a few jazz where the format is still reasonably popular. Otherwise a decent cdp is your better bet rather than a very expensive SACD/CD player to make both formats sound worthwhile.

London, Ontario

Post Number: 5
M.R.

Good website link. I browsed though it, I guess it is a dying breed (or at least with 80 percent of my musical selection) Thank you for the info.

London, Ontario

Post Number: 6
Frank, I never use any of those dolby prologic modes as i find them extremely distracting or biased in one area (speaker wise). The only mode i will use other than 2.0, is 5 channel stereo when listening to music.

I wished now I would have listened to my uncle and just bought a decent 2 channel system. For some reason now i'm not dazzled by all the bells and whistles.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2365
I get where you're coming from, so much so that my next move hifi-wise is looking more and more like a big stereo amp with a lower end surround receiver just for the fun of it when watching stuff.

As for SACD and DVD-A (competing format), they're as dead as a dead thing on Mars as far as I'm concerned. If the majors had got their act together, sorted out their patent rights rubbish and launched just one format, there would have been a chance of it gaining market traction, epecially if they committed to killing CD. As things are, SACD and DVD-A were stillborn which is a shame since they offered a theoretical higher quality.

The same is in danger of happening to HD-DVD / BluRay but it'll take longer since these are largely bolstered by the gaming market.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Mekongdelta69

Grew up in Brooklyn an...

Post Number: 78
Same as what happened in the '80s with VHS and Betamax, only today, everything is highly accelerated because of digital. There have been so many formats for so many things in the past few decades, most 'regular' people can't keep up (and even the people who are 'into' the endless formats sometimes get confused).

That's why I'll gladly stick with my analog tube gear and could care less which 'format of the day' is obsolete by the time you get it home.

But then again, what do I know?!

Mike____

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us