Velodyne CHT-10 vs. Hsu STF-1

AdamVerducc
Unregistered guest
Similarly priced subs. I've heard the Velodyne, and it's a solid sub for the price. Has anyone heard both? Any comments to help sway me one way or the other? Thanks!

Username: Voodoo

Post Number: 1
Anyone have any comments on this?

Username: Mrspeeed

Canada

Post Number: 5
AV,

I have the CHT and really like it. It is a great home theatre sub however for music (I use it as part of my 2 channel stero) it is nice but needs to be adjusted much lower than in HT mode so to blend with my 2 Mission 704 towers. So, I keep it set lower (volume level) for music and keep it there so I miss out a little in HT. The sub is strong enough at that volume level I don't miss much and it keeps my wife happy.

FYI, I use Monster 400 interconnect out of the Yamaha RXV-596 sub out connected "directly" so to use the recievers 90hz cross over. I wish I could set it lower (I can you the cross over in the sub) but I would have to use the line level in from the fronts and the high pass output but I am too lazy to set it this way.

As you can tell I like the set up options that the CHT does offer. I think it is a good value sub (considering the amount you could spend on one)

Cheers

Canada

Post Number: 6
I should have noted in my prior post that I like clear punchy bass in my music and not boomy overpowering bass.

Username: Voodoo

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the response but too late! My CHT-10 is on its way as of 2 days ago. Got it for $175 plus shipping. Wow, they are practically giving these things away. I have to use speaker level inputs, so receiver crossover is not going to be a problem, at least not until I get my next receiver. Anyway, I'm excited. Should be here within the week. Any break-in/placement tips?

JeffKnob
Unregistered guest
I have heard both and the CHT-10 is crap compared to the HSU. All I heard was distortion when asked to perform at all. The CHT-12 isn't much better.

Canada

Post Number: 8
For $170 you can't go wrong.

Sorry, I'm hardly knowledgable enough to give break-in/placement tips besides the typical "in the corner for more bass and away from the wall for less bass more clarity". If you listen to a lot of music I think you will need to adjust the cross over and volume input to match your speakers/room. Have fun with it.

You should let me know how the line level inputs goes. I never tried it but maybe I should. I bought my sub used but in great shape. I got him to throw in the Monster sub interconnect so I just used the sub out and direct pass input. Again I wish I had a lower cross over than 90 (even 80 would be better) but whatever. I'll just ensure my next amp/tuner or receiver is more flexible.

Oh, when I did get it running the way I wanted I had it set at 180 phase instead of the 0. I thought this was strange since the sub is in line with my towers. Maybe my hearing is the one distorted?

JeffKnob, you could be right. I haven't tried the HSU. Maybe I don't know what I am missing. I guess ignorance is bliss.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us