Dual 701 vs Rega P1, Old school or new school budget!?

Username: Obladioblaeric

Post Number: 2
Hey everyone. I really like the look of these old dual turntables, like the 701, but as far as quality of music and quality of build is concerned do you think i would be better off with getting a new rega p1 for 350 or a nice condition dual 701 for around 450?

I have a shure n97xe stylus so i am kind of worried about going for the cheap rega because it has a more basic orofon stylus from what i see , and to get the table i would have to sell my shure. the 701 i found has my stylus on there so that wouldnt be a prob.

I am also looking at a dual cs 5000 and considering anything as far as quality sound for around 300-400ish. I am definitely trying to stay under 450 for my budget, because that is even too much right now. Any comments appreciated, Thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11211

The Rega has by far the better tonearm and the Dual has a much worse platter that will ring and doesn't respond to tweaks. Neither has a suspension to speak of and so both will respond to whatever you sit them upon. The Dual has a speed adjustment and the Rega runs slightly fast. The Dual is direct dive and the Rega is belt. If you have a need for extrememly fine speed resolution, buy the Dual. Otherwise the Reag is the better table. Don't pick a turntable by considering the cartridge it comes with.

Username: Zoney99

Post Number: 2
LOL I had a 701 with a Shure V15 MK3 cartridge. I NEVER liked that table for some reason. I didn't like the way it looked, the dust cover, I don't know it didn't do a thing for me. It went in the trash can.

Yes, I have the V15 cartridge.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5564
Direct drive Dual's would not be a choice that I would make. Dual's belt drive tables are much better. These days you can get a near mint Dual 505-3 or 505-4 for less than $100 and with a budget cartridge you can have a rig that sounds every bit as good as a starter table from Rega, ProJect, or Music Hall. However if you want to just buy a table and start playing records...like now, the P1 would be a fine table.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us