Archive through August 13, 2007

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 745
if you want to hear a few complete songs on the CD, last.fm has 3 complete songs online (ones that have brown play buttons). The others will give you a 30 second clip.

http://www.last.fm/music/Sophie+Milman/Make+Someone+Happy

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1436
Gavin, she sings as good as she looks and looks as good as she sings. Thanks for the links, I'll listen tomorrow (when I won't wake the wife) and keep an eye out for her new album.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5105
I was given a whole bunch of records a couple of weeks ago (mostly classical) and so I have been cleaning and listening to them to determine if they are keepers. There are so many that I simply can't list them all but once this process levels off I'll post some favorites. Good thing is that I'm breaking in the P5 and getting in some great listening

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1976
"Good thing is that I'm breaking in the P5 and getting in some great listening"

It doesn't get much better than that.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 573
What nobody listening to anything?

Geesh

Black Sabbath - "Live At Last" (Had to swap the Gallos back in as I was not going to risk damage to Jan's Rogers. Vinyl

Ears hurt all night after hat one. Followed later by Tom Rush - Wrong End of The Rainbow
Vinyl

I would strongly suggest if you ever heard his music to get re-acquainted with him. Mellow is a good description. How's that for a late sixties word?

Tonight;

I actually found another Roger Waters - The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking (original un-censored cover) clean vinyl. Sounded even better the second time around.

B.B. King - Live At The Regal
I have heard him live in a small club about 15 years ago and this brought back memories of that day. He really engages the music. The mics aren't set up the best but it cannot take away from the reality of his performance and interaction with the audience. Vinyl

Hey stryvn, when you going to do that Reference Music Thread??????????????????????

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 578
So much for my opinion.

Marsh came upstairs about the time that the previous refernced LP was on its last song and basically said "Enough of that sh it turn it off, its awful."

My wife has become a critic. Geesh.

Followed by;

Rolling Stones - Sucking in the Seventies

Vinyl

Now one for Nuck, since he made me buy it; an out of print, VGH, Apple label, Bad Finger - No Dice

Vinyl

On the second track now and has my attention. This is not how I remember Bad Finger. Anybody else heard this and can offer an opinion?

stryvn, Reference Music thread?????

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8074
Mike, I had that on 8track, I kid you not.
I hope it is better than on the player in the 69 nova 427.

Naaaaaaaaaa.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 581
Yes it has to be better as it is top shelf on my system, matter of fact add it to the growing list.

However...

69 Nova with a 427 shoe horned in needs to be on the CD Upgrade Opinions Appreciated thread.

Mike B. awaits that review.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1445
George Harrison is starring at the Apollo. Spooky! Cloud Nine remastered CD - If I remember right this was the last title I purchased on vinyl, a few years before I gave all my LP's away. Just as well, there's a great Project T/T with a Garrett cartridge on Ebay that's was tempting me.

For about twenty seconds

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 686
Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full

Bruce Cockburn - Breakfast in New Orleans Dinner in Timbuktu

Alan Parsons Project - Vulture Culture (remastered)

Piebald - If It Weren't For Venetian Blinds It Would Be Curtains For Us All

Donna The Buffalo - Live From The American Ballroom

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 355
hmmmm, thread has eluded me for a couple of weeks, Mike. Missed your calling.

Note to self: Reference Music thread.

Side note...I remember seeing Badfinger at a car show many moons ago. Mid to late eighties I suppose it was.

Listening to Les Paul.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8100
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2007/07/28/ledzeppelin-releases.html

Cash Grab.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8109
http://entimg.msn.com/i/ExperienceData/p1-6/us/x.htm?sh=MIC&ep=Crossroads&ch=0

This is free on MSN

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 584
Roy Orbison - Crying

CD

Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo (cranked it way up for Strangle Hold, that was a thrill and then some)

Vinyl

Roy Orbison - Black and White Night

It states on the liner notes, yes it is that good that I had to pull the notes, that this is the only commercially available live recording of his. There is a nice mix of players on this.

CD

Sem, I hear that the new McCartney - Memory Almost Full is to be made available in vinyl. How good is the recording quality?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 688
MW, sorry, I can't really answer that - MLR, (more listening required). I've actually only listened to it the one time, a couple days ago in my wife's car. She, and the cd, are now in California so it won't see my player here at home until September.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 585
Thx Sem, I heard a couple of tracks at Starbucks. Just was wondering because if in addition to enjoying the content, if the recording was done correctly I would skip the CD and order the vinyl.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 587
Ok, I have been following the thread: The Agony of Roksan Caspian for a bit now.

So here goes,

Tchaikovsky 1812 Festival Overture Op.49 (Original Scoring) Capriccio Italien, Op. 45

Antal Dorati conducting the Minneapolis Symphony
Orchestra

University of Minnesota Brass Band Gerald Prescott Director

BRONZE CANNON, Strasbourg, France (1761) Courtesy of U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.

Bells of the Harkness Memorial Tower, Yale University, New Haven, CT.

Spoken Commentary by Deems Taylor

They refire just the cannon again after the track finishes and Deems Taylor narates this and describes the recording of the cannon and the bells. The microphone of 150 yards down from the cannon, then 50 yeards down from the cannon, then a 2nd microphone was placed 75 feet behind the cannon. This created phase distortion. So finally they used only the first microphone with a full charge. This was the shot that was recorded several times over for use in this recording.

The bells are 7 tons. They go on to describe how the bells were recorded and engineered in order to match the old Russian Kremlin Bells. All I know is that I would never want to be in a bell tower at the wrong time.

If you are really into the cannon shots, this albums narration provides them to you by themselves time and time again.

This is a mono recording so the only thing having trouble coping with the complexity were my ears.

It states that the recording and engineering took place in 1951 - 1952. The back of the album cover provides an encyclopedia like description of the history of the 1812 Overture as well as how these recordings were made.

BTW the bottom of the 4 yellow lights on the MA-6200 do work, even if only once for a split second as I was playing this album with volume control in hand (just in case).

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 588
Leon Russell & New Grass Revival - The Live Album

Vinyl

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5122
Verdi Overtures
Ricardo Muti
New Philharmonia Orchestra

Vinyl - Demonstration quality!

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
Jimi Hendrix - The Ultimate Experience

cd

Lord, I need to get a vinyl spinner!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5123
Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5
Dmitri Mitropolous
Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York

Vinyl - mono

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 689
MW, re: McCartney's "Memory Almost Full" cd. I went over to Steve Hoffman's site where they discuss ad nauseam the mastering pros and cons of, seemingly, every recording ever made. There's a whole gang of McCartney/Beatles fanatics over there. General consensus is the sound on the cd is horrible. Maybe the vinyl release will be an improvement.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=116454&highlight=Memory+full

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1447
I Picked up MCartney's MAF in a store on the weekend. I'm glad I left it there now. Thanx Sem.

Got Puccini - Nessun dorma and other favourites for a bit of cultcha.

And the Doors 'Absolute Best' a double remastered cd album - to balance the excess cultcha.

Liked the Puccini disc - loved the Doors.

Playing at the Apollo, of course, where the audience knows how to keep very quiet. Unlike those vinyl venues where they tread on popcorn and rustle cellophane when others are trying to listen. (grin)

Silver Member
Username: Malco49

Baltimore, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 101
"workin'with the miles davis quintet" vinyl-project debut III

"my favorite things" john coltrane dl from itunes on ipod via cambridge AZUR 540Z and PSB B25's

when vinyl "gets it" it cannot be topped!

Bronze Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 75
too many to name, but this hidden treasure:
http://ssl.adhost.com/jazzloft/baskets/pos.cfm?CD=1236

souds good after hibernating for 16yrs!

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 76
Sorry, I showed a cd. This is in the vinyl collection.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5125
This is the equal opportunity thread...all formats welcome!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8122
Hear hear!

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 590
Sem, Like M.R. thanks for saving me some cash and a headache. If this was a stage production it would have been in re-write or closed after opening week. Too bad. Hope others (artists) take note and not follow suit.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1448
Oh my

Nola

Harry Connick Jr sounding cool.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 592
Eric Clapton - E.C. Was Here
(must of bought it for the album cover...LOL)

Vinyl

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2000
I'm covering an overnight boy's soccer camp all week.

My music selection is 15-17 year olds getting into arguements with the computer camp kids.

How do I get myself into these things?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5129
Ouch! Sorry....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5138
Little Amos Lee at the Apollo...now you talkin'!

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
Temple Of The Dog.

I haven't heard this in a while. Got this one, Stu?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5139
Wilco...Summerteeth

Awesome!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5140
Son Volt "Wide Swing Tremolo".

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5142
Radiohead "The Bends".

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2009
Just got back from torture camp and had three new albums sitting in the driveway (I hate UPS) -
Nirvana - Nevermind
Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Alicia Keys - Unplugged

Gettin ready to clean em' up and cue em' up!

Stryvn - I don't have Temple of the Dog. I heard two of the tracks and they're great. I've gotta run to the mall later to pick up an anniverasry gift for Mrs Stu, I'll look for it, but don't remember seeing it around for a while now.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2011
BB King's Live at Cook County Jail is still backordered, along with Hendrix's Voodoo Child 180g Box set.

Why did I wait on these two?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 772
Ran through my Rippingtons collection last night :-)

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2015
I just picked up a few new CDs. The one I listened to -

Foo Fighters - Skin & Bones

I'm not a big Foo Fighters fan. I think their music can be a little cheesy and childish. This one's a live unplugged CD. Having heard a live acoustic version of one of their songs in the past, I picked up a copy on a whim.

I'm very surprised and impressed. Dave Grohl has a great voice when he tones it down a bit. The lyrics on a lot of the songs are pretty deep. A lot of emotion. I think a lot of what he's saying gets burried on the regular versions. It seems very grown up.

Excellent versions of My Hero, Times Like these, and Everlong. The studio versions aren't my favorite songs, but I won't turn them off if they come on the radio. These versions grab your attention.

Sound quality and production (or lack thereof) are very good too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 2.

The Helsinki concert from '74.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 94
Hmmm. I see some Zappa in the vinyl storage. Better check it out.
And Hendrix, though I occasionally play the cds.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5156
Ready for a good laugh...

I'm listenin' to Townes Van Zandt on my new $15 garage sale Kenwood KA3500 integrated. The cd is playing on my Denon DVD2910 through my Rega speakers with $2 per ft liberty cable speaker cables and my Chord Silver Sirens. I'll be fu#$@d if it isn't making some sweet music.

I pawned my Mira 3 and Apollo for some drugs.........not really!

Upload

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 96
Let me know, I will be glad to take the Regas off your hands!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5157
I'm building several vintage systems jus for fun. I really want a McInctosh MA5100.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2018
Art,

Is that a Rega Fono, or the P5's power supply?

I'm going to audition the cartridges next weekend. I'll also listen to some Rega tables. I'm planning on just the cart, but you never know. There's too many fun and promising upgrades for Rega tables out there, and they've got a lot of them. It depends on what they offer to do with my Xpression.

Great pic. I'm gonna start a system pics thread sometime next week.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5161
It's the TT/PSU for the P5.

Sounds like a cool thread.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5163
Wilco "Being There"

Blur "Modern Life is Rubbish"

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 98
Been noticing the discs named and thinking if I have it. On vinyl I see William Ackerman - Passage, though not much on Windham Hill. For quiet night music I have a lot of ECM music.
Today I took MR and Gavin's advice and got Sophie Milman's deput. Very nice. I play a lot of female vocal Jazz for my wife. Another good one with a great band like Sophie is Tierney Sutton. I have 3 of hers.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 99
For rockin my favorites are the last 3 Santana albums and the 1st two. Dr. John, esp Azamuth Zone, funky! Of course at my age I still think Hendrix is King, but Stevie Ray really rocks. For rock light, Mark Knoffler from Dire Straits to the new ones like Shangrala. The new country rock duet with Emy Lou is great. Will have to get the DVD too. And any rockin blues. I have an 8 cd box set of classic soul/R&B that I play when the family drinks.

Bronze Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 100
John Hiatt and Ry Cooder from beginning to present!
Bonnie Raitt, Tom Waits, I LOVE Marcia Ball, Let Me Play With Your Poodle and Live Down the Road and others. She is keeping the Professor Longhair Marti Gras piano style alive. Others in that line are Dr. John, (I have em all and have seen him live 5 times) and Fats Domino James Booker etc.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5167
Amos Lee "Supply and Demand" on my new Pinnacle AC650's. $10 per pair ata garage sale in near perfect condition. Very under rated speaker.

http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/ac650.html

http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/revu_650.html

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 104
Billy Bragg & Wilco Mermaid Avenue, heard first time around. He also gave my vol II haven't played yet. Gift from my nephew, the head of the John Hiatt fan club. (joke).
I gave him the new Hiatt cd, Master of Disaster, which I like better than any of his since Bring the Family and Little Village, his classic jams w/Cooder.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5168
Oasis "Definitely Maybe".

Pinnacle's kickin' butt!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5169
Joanna Newson "Ys"

On the Pinnacles.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5170
Michael Brecker "Pilgrimage".

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5171
So far today, besides my usual XM radio...

Verdi's Requiem
Elisabeth Scwartzkopf, Christa Ludwig, Nicolai Gedda, Nicolai Ghiaurov
Carlo Maria Giulini, Philharmonia Chorus and Orcestra

Mozart Symphonies 41 and 35
Bruno Walter
Columbia Symphony Orchestra

Both on vinyl

Camille Saint-Saens
Africa for Piano and Orchestra
Symphony No 2 in A minor
Symphony in F major, Urbs Roma
Jean-Jacques Kantorow
Tapiola Sinfonietta
Laura Mikkola, Piano

A Tribute to Miles Davis w/Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Wallace Roney, and Tony Williams.

On the Apollo

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 106
"...Miles Davis w/..." Now you are talkin my language. I have all those names on vinyl. Carried only 8 milk crates of LPs into the apt, leaving the rest (I don't know, 20 crates?) in the garage 1 mile away!. My wife is working her way thru the classic Pop, now playing Abbey Road. When she works or sleeps I play jazz.

As for the classical, I find myself often leaving it on after Jazz w/Bob Parlucha fm show. I don't know what is on but do enjoy whatever they play. For some reason prefer small group to orchestra (same in jazz).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5172
Music on Sunday night (or any night) soothes the soul. Man I'm tellin' ya I'm enjoying the yard sale audio gig. I don't know that I'll ever be able to return to paying full price, except for digital sources. I've ben playing my $10 speakers all day...totally fatigue free. Quite exceptional for the outlay....

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 600
Beatles - Abbey Road

Vinyl Brand new sealed, potential reference material, definitely top shelf status.

Styx - Grand Illusion

Vinyl

Above earlier in the week.

However right now I am listening to Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band "Like A Rock" Title Track.

On the Rogers is feels like I am getting a private concert. OMG.

Oh yeah, one more tweak I put in last night. I had spoken with Mark Walker at Rogue Audio, yes he answers the phone. I asked about the mapping the Rogue Audio Magnum 99 with 1.5v output to the big dog I am waiting for via UPS. It has 1.4 and 2.5 input selector. He said try both, go what works better. So much for science, LOL.

But more importantly my Rogue has a 5 point gain switch which I asked him about. He said it is for fine tuning. All the way down allows for minimal volume up and down controls, like fine tuning, all the way up, just the opposite. But I figured out all the way up takes the gain control out of the equation.

Maybe it's my imagination but all the way up on the gain control gives me the sense of more realism in my sound. Opinions please?

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 602
Tuner past 30 minutes. 5 LED lights and still getting a little hiss on Sugar Mountain, Neil Young.

Guitars are still sweet, very, very sweet. No, not imaged exactly like we would want, but for background, it is nice.

If you know what comfort food is, then you will understand this as comfort music.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11003

"Maybe it's my imagination but all the way up on the gain control gives me the sense of more realism in my sound. Opinions please?"

You're playing with the friggin' volume all the way using my speakers?!

Oooooooh, I feel ill.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 603
OK maybe an airplane or UFO was in the line of sight, but Honky Tonk Woman, Rolling Stones , is imaging very nicely without hiss.

No I never turn my tuner off in case anyone thought to go there.

Actually this is a lot of left and right and virtually no center. I guess I need to dig out my Stones LP, Get Yer Ya Yas Out and validate this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8177
I havn't heard too many Stones recordings that give a broad soundstage as opposed to Mic's lips right in your face, Mike.
I do not think anybody cared too much.

Just fresh from a listen to Stryvn's system.
Rush signals, of course.
His Rotel/Paradigm is very happy to drive you into the chair(or offa bar stool).
Fabulous drive, lots of energy, whack whack whack!
And a family that I highly recommend that you all visit.
mmmm steak!

'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find
When I leave I won't know what I'm leaving behind...

Silver Member

Post Number: 370
C'mon back when your 12 hours are up. There's a few more pulls of Knob Creek left, lots more music, some ribs in da fridge gettin ready for the fire, the Paul Rodgers disc is done and there's more Sprecher out in the garage.

Just don't try to call first.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 692
Had a friend stay with me over the weekend so we listened.

America - Homecoming (dvd-a)
Elton John - Honky Chateau (dvd-a)
Frank Sinatra - Live at the Sands (dvd-a)
Godfrey Townsend - Easy Journey to Other Planets
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (dvd-a)
Boz Scaggs
Walter Trout - Go the Distance
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
Kevin Gilbert - Thud

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5174
Sounds like fun Sem...good listening indeed!

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 605
No, the volume was low, the gain switch was all the way up. Sorry for the mis-communication.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8182
Good thing, Mike.
Jan would whack you with a cane.

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
Master of the Guitar Chet Atkins & Les Paul - Together

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 117
Love it, as well as Chet w/Mark Knofler.

I have 2 LPs called Chester and Lester vol 1 & 2;

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
Chet & Mark....Neck and Neck. Very nice indeed.

I believe, Kevin, that vol 1 & 2 Chester/Lester is the same thing I've got. Cept mine is on a single cd and called Together. It is very good.

And a friend is burning a copy of Knopfler/Emmylou Harris All the Roadrunning for me which I am anxious to hear.

So many songs.......

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 119
All the Roadrunning is an awesome performance. Like Prine, and Santana, it is fun to see these artists make albums 30 yrs later as good or better than ever. I plan to buy the DVD soon. The CD sound quality is good as my systems can produce. All cd for new stuff, old stuff on vinyl.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 120
Looking for music: I got a lot from Cadence Magazine:
http://www.cadencebuilding.com/index.html

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 550
A must have IMO , by transistor or tube

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/6705286/a/Gaucho.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
Who is the Gaucho Amigo?

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
The Honeydrippers.

Just came in the mail today from yourmusic. Hats off, Art.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8245
Oooohh Sryvn, you be makin' more babies with that sweetness on.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 614
stryvn,

I literally sent the wife out with my card to go have fun with one of her sons so I could be alone to go to a Rush Concert in my media room.

As I type I have Rush - Hemispheres spinning on the Linn, pegging 30 watts on my MAC, loud as I can take it. Picked up on this one when you ID'd it as one you put on for Nuck. This is may certainly be reference stuff as you noted.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Led Zepplelin's - Whole Lotta Love on the Linn after reading Frank's and a couple of other reference posts.

In addition I have already played the Outlaws, vinyl tonight.

Much, much, more to come...

I have been absent from the forum as I have been too busy dialing in my amp to even keep up on posts. It's definitely dialed in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus I have to do an Art, my week in review, LOL.

WOW, Rush - Hemispheres is spiking my meters to ~100 watts. Never saw that before! Way cool, just a little hard on the ears.

Tip of the hat to JV.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5196
OK Mike here we go....

Bought some new vinyl this week...

Yesterday listened to them on my Sansui G5000 receiver with Pinnacle AC650's....

Richard Davis "Epistrophy & Now's the Time"
Herbie Hancock "The Prisoner"
Tom Harrell "Stories"
Donald Byrd Sextet "Getting Down to Business"
Booker Ervin "That's It"
George Coleman "Amsterdam After Dark"
Tony Williams "Angel Street"
Lee Morgan "The Ragah"
Chet Baker "The Touch of Your Lips"
Dexter Gordon "The Tower of Power"
Art Blakey "A Night at Birdland Volume 2"

Kevin, hope your still reading, I know you like that!

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 615
Kevin,

Still shopping your link.

Did you know they have over 9,000 LPs to look through.

Go there and buy the Preservation Hall Jazzband "When The Saints Go Marchin' In" if you do not already have it. I already have it. 5 Stars IMO.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 140
MW: "...they have over 9,000 LPs to look through..."
No, I didn't realize. I subscribed to Cadence for years after discovering the little mag in Tower. The only store I ever saw that carried it. I used to read/brows the lists, but now I just search. I had to go to CDuniverse for the new Bobby Hutcherson. I saw him this year on tour. He is about 65 and playing beautifully. Any other favorite sources for buying cds and vinyl?
Art, that looks like my guys. Love that stuff.
I was surprised going through my old stuff how much Pablo Rec I have. Oscar, Joe Pass, Milt Jackson, Monty Alexander, Big Joe, Zoot Simms w/Jimmy Rawles, etc.
Now look what you guys have done: gone and introduced me to even more.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5199
Today listening to...

Russell Gunn "Plays Miles"
Kenny Burell "Midnight Blue"
Sean Jones "Gemini"

All played on my Sansui G5000 powering today's garage sale find Polk Audio Monitor 5jr's...a blast from the past as I used to have the 10's. Denon DVD2910 for the source.

Found 9 Elvis records in great shape today at a yard sale. Movie music like "Girls, Girls, Girls", "Girl Happy", King Creole and so on .50 each with a Frank Sinatra thrown in for good measure.....Another taste of this single barrel bourbon please. LG!!!

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 618
Just bought a Joe Pass of of you link KC.

I have Pink Floyd "Relics" spinning on the TT at the moment, ++++++++++++++++++++++++ One heck of a jazzy, horns and all cut, "Bidding My Time" next to last before the renowned track "Bike". BMT is IMO the best track on the LP.

Silver Member

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 620
Good grief Charlie Brown.......

I have an album finishing side one and I have no clue what I queued up.

Oh well.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 141
I am jealous of that Saturn! Don't tell me about the Linn TT. I am ok for now with my P3 which is good enough for my kit. I just dug up: This is Ray Brown, a Japanese vinyl pressing Verve OJC (original jazz classic) mono 1981 Polygram. He has Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis and Jerome Richardson on Flute.
The point is that on Rays long upper range bass solos I feel he is right in front of my. My sub is back in the hospital so that is the Rega P3 and Rogers L5/35A. Those little speakers don't have the deep bass but I swear you cannot tell it is real on the upper range. I saw The last Ray Brown Trio on his last tour a couple of years ago. He went home from that tour and passed away. He had Russel Malone on guitar and Monte Alexander on piano (on of my top 5 favorite pianists). One of the best concerts ever for me. So I guess if it sounds good at home I am home free. OK well I still need some deep bass.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5201
That's wonderful that you saw Ray. He was an unbelievable bassist. I too am a huge Monty Alexander fan. He and Kenny Barron are underratted in my opinion. A couple of years ago I saw Michael Brecker with Herbie, Roy Hargrove and the Directions in Music fellas and couldn't believe it when Michael passed he was so full of life. I see alot of live Jazz...ain't life grand.

BTW your P3 is fine quit ogling his Linn...It's a tweakers table anyway...lol!

Presently listening to Peggy Lee "Is that all there is".

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 143
I have some older Monty on Pablo vinyl.
Speaking of rating jazz players, it is time to vote in the 55th annual Down Beat readers poll. Will I vote for who I think has the most skill on the instrument?...no for who I enjoy the most. I will vote the heart not the intellect.
The fun part is to see how it compares to the critics poll which is in the new Aug issue. Piano poll most votes for: 1 Jarrett, 2- Meldau, 3- Hank Jones, 4- Andrew Hill, 5- Kenny Barron, 6-Bill Charlap, 7- Herbie, 8-McCoy etc. I have seen only 4 of those.
So Kenny is in there. I have seen him a couple times. Latest in Portland, OR when he was on tour with Regina Carter. For those not having heard him, I recommend to start with CANTA BRAZIL 2002, accompanied by bass, drum, perc, acoustic guitar, and flute. Not laid back as you may think. It is very up, hot, in straight ahead jazz/bossa nova. Definitely on my greats list.

The one great pianist inexplicably missing from the critics top 11 is Mulgrew Miller. I saw him in Seattle in Steve Turre's tribute to Roland Kirk w/ James Carter- Sax, Buster Williams- bass + more.
I was completely blown away by Miller!
And Brecker: Don't have the new/last one. Have his quiet dreamy cd: Nearness of You (guest sung by James Taylor, only on the 1 song). Looking for night music, it is hard to match that band: w/Metheney, Herbie, Haden, DeJonette!!!!!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 144
You can vote Down Beat online. Have not yet. Maybe now...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5203
Geez where's Geri Allen and Marcin Wasilewskki in the poll.

I've seen many of those folks as well. The NW is great for Jazz lovers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8271
Johnny Csh to open, now Barenaked Laies GH.
The BNL have some very good recordings, take your pick of like it or not.
Good lyrics.

Large hungover head, thanks for asking.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5210
Umm minus one of the k's on Marcin's name.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8276
Buy a vowel?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5214
Take the K, I'm keeping the vowels!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8283
Some ELO on the boombox in the garage today.
Played 'A Night At the Opera' at 6, some J Geils after that.
A little Barenakedladies, and some Hip lined up. New Orleans is sinkin'.
Unfortunate wording, awesome tune for guitar lovers.
Mellencamp's 'uh huh' was a SRO last night.
That album has bust yer chops rhythm lines and smokin' sound.
Out Stones'es the Stones.
Listen to that lead guitar!

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
How about this played thru a yamaha/klipsch combination?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=645793

Gold Member

Post Number: 8294
A very cool Axe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
Chet Atkins - The Magic of Chet Atkins
Chet Atkins - Street Dreams
Chris Smither - Leave the Light On
« Previous Thread Next Thread »