Rogers LS5 ?

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 155
I see a pair of LS5 Rogers on ebay made by Swisstone of England who made my LS3/5a that I have had for many years. Anybody know that one?

I spent an hour on the Rogers websites, http://www.ls35a.com/, and everything on google and can't figure out what the LS5 is. I am going to bid but not go high just because they are the same mfg which I had luck with. There are so many versions, Spender, KEF etc and the newer ones can be bi-wired' ie 4 posts with jumpers. Even a floor standing model.

I have to say that I still like mine the best in spite of my current affair w/ Quad11L, if one pair had to go it would be Quad.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11105

The 3/5a is a classic design that is consistently listed near the top of any ten - twenty - fifty - or so most significant audio products of the last half century. It is a unique speaker that still sounds like music today. Fortunately, it was created by a group of BBC engineers who had virtually unlimited resources and unbounded talent combined with a sense of purpose. It was, for all intents and purposes, a hand built speaker with the earliest 15 Ohm models rejecting more drivers than they accepted. The individual crossovers were hand tweaked to meet the LS3/5a standard. There are only a few speakers which compete with the 3/5a for legendary status, the original Quad 57 being among that very small group.

Most of the engineers responsible for the 3/5a's development went on to found their own companies and their products adherred to the basic BBC sound. The other Rogers models are similar to the 3/5a in overall character, with deeper bass and broader dynamic capacity. They are not, however, a 3/5a.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 157
Jan, I had remembered from previous posts that you were a Rogers guy. I have always been baffled by the mystery of how good they are. The technology is not secret with many others building them.
So you say it is the workmanship skill and the quality of the parts.
I am admittedly no expert on speakers but I have held onto those while trading and replacing everything else many times. I need to revitalize the walnut box soon.
Another funny thing is that I continue to enjoy them with the sub in the repair shop. In fact, I am going to put the sub on the Quads instead when it comes home today.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 158
I saw one time only a pair with 2 matching subs that they sat on top of making the subs into stands. They looked like floor standing speakers but were in fact separate bookshelf monitors.
I guess that was the AB1 sub, which I have never seen otherwise. I should have bought them!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11107

The AB1 was not a "subwoofer'. It was a bass extender. It used another B110 4" driver in each enclosure with bandpass operation and only added about 1/2 octave to the reach of the 3/5a. There's information on it on the Unofficial LS3/5a Support Site.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 165
Thanks Jan, I went back and studied more.
I think they are good with a sub so I will quit the search for the AB1.

This LS5 is 18x9x8.5" bigger than mine at 12x7.5x6.5"

So this pair on ebay is a studio model as he says here:
"...loudspeakers 'LS', hence the first two letters. The figure '3' in the code indicates that the design is primarily for outside broadcast (OB) use. A figure '5' would mean studio broadcasting, as LS5/9..." quoted from http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/audio/articles/alittlelegend-ls35a.html
Well, they probably can't be bad for $100. I could put em in the garage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us