B&W 683 - Music Speakers

Username: Gkumar

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 1
Hello all,
New to this forum. I have been looking for a good speakers for a long time. Finally decided to go

B&W 683 floor standing
matched with Rotel 1057 Receiver.

They both work under $2500 in the dealer after the discount. My primary focus is Music and it was very clear High ends and vocals with very clean sounding bass without jarring.

Please let me know, if my choice is right here. Or is there a combination, i need to looking at this price point.

Thanks very much

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10973

What is "jarring" bass?

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 135
Yes, what is Jarring bass? I have heard many B&W / Rotel demo's and all sounded great. They blend well together. There is other brands that come to mind for that price Range such as NAD Masters series with some Paradigm Studio 100's. NAD Masters with some Totem's?? Either way the B&W/Rotel mix will make you happy.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5147
I believe the price point he was talkin' here was $2500. NAD Masters and Totems at that price point = buying them from the back of a pickup shortly after a robbery. Could be wrong and I'm sure someone will tell me if I am.

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 2
Sorry to mentiong jarring bass.

I mean to say, bass with vibration at very low ends.

Of all speakers i have heard at this price point. B&W 683 were the best for the music.

I listen to Indian classic, Jazz, Blues and Rock. B&W's were good overall on all the aspects.

I really liked the Totems for their clarity and Vocals. But they lacked the Bass, which made them fall apart in some of the tracks. ( Except for Rainmaker book shelf ). But then they were expensive. For the price of $2900, you really have a competetive speaker B&W 805 boof shelf.

I was intially very much for Paradigm, bang for the buck saga. They are more open speakers, fill the room kind of thing. But after hours of listening and comparison with some classical music, instrumentals and high pitch vocals, Paradigm kind of lost the clarity that B&W's have.

Also, felt that B&W's are really power hungry. If you put them up with good power they really come alive and music flows cleanly. Side by Side Paradigm seems to loose.

Pl. correct me if this is a right statement.

NOTE : I have always compared these with only 2 Front speakers without a Sub.

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 3
Nick, which model of Totem are you referring to. I have not heard all the models of course.

I am not really tight on the budget. If some more money gets me the satisfaction of the music clarity. I am willing to spend a little more.

Another Confusion is, which is always a bit debate.

Bookshelfs or Floor standing speakers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5148
If budget is not an issue take Rotel out of the mix.

Floorstanding vs bookshelf depends wholly on you. What you listen to and what sound you like. What are you using for a source?

You want answers but have given very little information.

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 4
What is an alternative for Rotel?

I listen to mix of classical, instrumental, jazz, blues. Some times rock. I listen to 4 different languages. Primarily we listen to Indian Classical music.

The source would be a CD Player. I would probably find a used one around $ 500 - $ 700 range.

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 5
If the source is through an iPOD on to the receiver ? Will the quality be bad ?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2012
Ganesh -
Have you bought the gear and asking us if you made a right or wrong choice? Or are you still shopping and asking us our opinions?

Rotel and B&W are a very good combo. They synergize well and are both respectable companies. For the money, there isn't really much better out there, just different.

You sound as though you've heard the combo. If it sounds good to you and is the right price from the right dealer, it should be a done deal. Don't second guess yourself. There's always different, and better, but at an increased price. Forget about at the what ifs. If you've heard the competition and prefer what you've chosen, call it a day.

An iPod through a sound dock - one that bypasses the iPod's internal amp - to a receiver can sound pretty good, so long as you're using Apple Lossless. The compressed formats are a waste of time IMO.

But, a dedicated CD player like the matching Rotel will be far better and maximize what you have. Don't go cheap on the source, its where the music starts. If the source is compromised, everything else downstream will be as well.

The iPod as I described it can be a respectable temporary solution, but for the long term, a dedicated CD player should be a must.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 137
My appologies, I thought he meant 2500 for each speakers and receiver. After reading again, I realise he meant for both. Forums and Working don't mix sometimes.lol.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2014
How else would you get through the day?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 138
LOL exactly Stu.

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 6
Nick, No need to apologize. I am trying to find help here with you guys experience. And Sorry, if i have confused the forum. I meant $2500 is the price for B&W 683 and Rotel 1057 both together. The quote i got from the dealer.

I have not bought the gear yet. I want the opinions before making the final commitment.

I have heard the following speakers

B&W 683 $1400/pr, B&W 704 $2200/pr, B&W 805 $2500/pr $600-stands ($3100).
Totem rainmaker ( $ 2850.pr )
Aerial acoustics Model 6 ( $3000/pr)
Thiel 1.6 ( 2400 /pr)
Vienna acoustics BACH ( $2000 ) , mozarts (2700 ) => BACH sounded better to me
Sonus Faber => ( Concerto DOMUS $3,495.00 pr )
Revel F12 $1200 / pr

These are the musical speakers that i liked. I have heard other brand which I dont think were close enough. Again this purely based on my listening ears, accurate sounding and clear tones without considering the bang.

Of the List i like the B&W 805 the best but $3100 /pr for speakers and stands compared to the new B&W 683 at $1400/pr. My dealer has a 3 year upgrade policy within which i can go to 805's or higher and will get back money credit for my 683's.

So after all the research and wife's approval on go ahead.

B&W 683 / Rotel 1057 => 2500
cables => 300
CD Player => 500

Total around $3300 for the gear. To start with, is this a good package or should i use the money differently ? ( Considering, I have little more room to spend money ).

The idea of this plan was one of dealer recommending start with 683 and i have 3 years before i can go for 805's or 804's or eventually 803's or 802's. Thats long term. And I would agree once we are at $5k mark. There are a lot of good brands to compare.

So, I am seeking help here to start my Road map of acoustics in making the right brand choice( Mainly for Speaker and Amps/Power ).

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 139
Ganesh- I think you should pick up the Rotel/B&W set up. If you are happy with the sound, then go for it. It sounds like you have listened to a lot of speaker brands, in and out of your price range. The only other amp/receivers you can try out in your price Range are NAD and H/K and such. To be honest they wont match as nicely with the B&W's that a Rotel perhaps will. For 500 dollars though you should maybe look at a NAD cd player. I am not sure if Rotel has one at that price or not? If they do, then stick with Rotel to match it with your receiver.Cheers.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10978

If you have lesser equipment right now, this is an upgrade and a good place to start. As noted Rotel & B&W are a synergistic combination. The price is good and you seem to prefer this combination.

Buy it.

Enjoy it.

Don't worry if there's anything that does something a little bit better. Worrying about whether this would be good for this or that would be better for that is a time waster. You like what you hear, we have no objections and your wife has given the OK. Do something before she changes her mind hearing you talk about the various options. Wait and you'll end up buying a new refrigerator.

After three years you will have heard the strengths and weaknesses of the equipment and will be in a much better position to decide whether you need to upgrade to the more expensive products. Listen to plenty of live music in the meantime.

Go buy something!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5149
There are so many components and speakers in your price range that would make for a good combo that it would be difficult for us to advise with any degree of sureness. However that won't stop us...lol!

First I would address the source...Rega Apollo is the best CD player at anywhere near it's price and with your budget a no brainer starting place.

Next an amp/speaker combo that reflects your listening preference. I'm going to guess that the Naim Nait 5i and Totem Model Ones might make a great system with the Apollo. Frank may be along later to recommend a good set of stands for the Model Ones. This is over $2500 but apparently you aren't that firm with the budget.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5150
Jan does have a point, hurry or your system may be a Hotpoint...!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 140
Is the Rega Apollo only in the 500 dollar range? If so..ahh..why don't I have one yet?lol. Seriously how much is it?

Jan is right, if you like it, buy it, and enjoy it. Hook it up, listen, and come back on here and tell us what you think of your new system. Then tell us if it sounds as good as it did in the audio store. Hopefully it does.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5152
The Apollo is 1k retail...just pointing out the importance of the source in the mix. Ganesh spoke of the source as sort of an afterthought and was not sticking to a firm budget...source first.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 144
Ganesh just burn some MP3 cd's off your computer and play them on a 40 dollar DVD player from Walmart. It will sound great. JUST KIDDING. Listen to Art, he is right. Source is very important.

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 7
Yes, You are right Art. I have heard it at one of the shop the appllo, They are 1k.
Rotel has one for $750
NAD has one for $600

Nick,

I have a Sony DVD Player which i bought for $100 2 yrs back. But dont worry I wont have my CDs on that one hooked up to Rotel and B&Ws........:-)

But I would like explore the iPOD option with a sound dock hook up to the Rotel and see how the sound quality is.

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 8
okay, now that we have a baseline. I saw a couple of options that i found online. I saw a Rotel 1066 pre/amp ( 2 yr used ) on sale for $899. If I marry that with RMB 1075. My cost goes up to $1750 for the powers. compared to

$ 1100 for Rotel 1057.

My options 1066/1075 => $1750
or Rotel 1057 => 1100.

Is that $650 of extra money is going a make a significant differnce of music ?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 146
iPOD-I hear it is actually can be good, as long as you go the route that Stu informed you to earlier on. Give the Rotel and NAD cd players a listen, see which you like better. If it was me though, and I had a Rotel receiver, I would pair it with a Rotel cd player. IMO.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 147
I think you will defenetly benefit from the pre/pro.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10979

I see a 26 cubic footer and a new dishwasher on the way!

Ganesh! Go buy something! That's what hifi is about. Owning something - then deciding it's not what you want. It's the American Way, for crimmeny sakes! You can't decide you should have bought something else until you buy something in the first place. Yes, $650 will make a difference. $2k will make a difference. Setting the speakers up correctly will make a difference. Buying a used amplifier you know nothing about will make a difference. Everything will make a difference! And soon the difference will be you'll have nothing at all.

However, nothing will make a difference until you own something. Go buy the system and listen to the music. If, tomorrow morning, you want to get something different, I would guess the dealer will swap it out. Or, tell you how to set it up correctly. It's called "sh!t or get off the pot." Buy something, Ganesh. Stop worrying and buy something.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 148
LOL I love it. Ganesh, buy new. Buy now. Buy before the wife changes her mind. Buy so we can hear from your how it sounds in your home.Cheers buddy.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2017
Whatever you do, don't mix NAD and Rotel. They go together like lamb and tunafish.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5158
Lamb and tunafish....!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2019
A little Big Daddy reference

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10980

Big Daddy? With Danny Thomas? I loved Uncle Tonoos.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 151
That they do.lol.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8150
Ganesh!(couldn't miss out)
Buy used whole system from a dealer.

Big time. Deals to be had. Small parts or componants can be dealt with, if you have the right dealer. DEALER

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 368
Anybody wanna bet Ganesh is at the dealer right now?

Kenmore dealer. Sears.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8163
that's gonna leave a mark.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 601
Ganesh,

Take your $300 for cables add it to the CD Player, new or used buy an Apollo. If you like Rotel / B&W the Apollo will take to places other sources cannot.

Think of it this way, unless you married your high-school sweet-heart, was there ever this girl you would give anything to be with, but given the opportunity you blinked, and the chance passed you by? I am afraid that if you do not demo an Apollo with the Rotel / B&W you will suffer the same regret.

Send Jan a PM and ask how you you can trade off most of the $300 on cables and still get the most out of your system.

Jan

Gold Member

Post Number: 8179
Again, ganesh, do not discount the Rotel 1072 for your needs. That cdp has a very synergistic bond to the Rotel stuff, just reinforced today for me.

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 9
So, how much should i spend for cables. Can I get used ones ? and what brands to look for in this budget ?

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 10
Any views on the B&W 700 series.

704s vs 683 ?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11007

THUD

THUD

THUD

OK, that feels better.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 11008

Ganesh - Does she want the ice maker too?

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 11
Just had a Question about the Seperates.
Should I go for Rotel RC-1070 / RB-1070.

Two channel seperates instead of ROtel 1057 AV Receiver ?

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 826

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 12
Or an Arcam AVR 250 ?

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 13
Okay, I went to the dealer. and fixed on B&W 683 and Rotel 1057.

Now, i have this dilema about the CD Player. Should I settle for the Rotel RCD-1072 ($700) or Apollo ($1000).

An option is just buy the iPod Dock for now and buy the CD player later.

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 14
Jan, Mike mentioned you how to trade off on $300 cables and put that money into the CD player.

The dealer gave a rough estimate of $300 dollars for the cable CD => Receiver, receiver => speakers.

do you think they are cheaper options that I can count on ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8396
Ganesh, you do not have to 'settle' on any particular player, short of a Linn.
As layed out in cd players, I hav both of those that you might be looking at, plus a few others.

They just play some music a little differently.

Some.

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 15
Nuck you meant the Rotel and Apollo ?

My music is melodious and classical sounds. So, does rotel or apollo has a specific features/musics kinds where one is better than the other ?

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 16
Okay, I finally bought home

B&W 683 speakers.
Rotel 1057 AV Receiver.
Pioneer Elite DVD-48 DVD Player ( for music and movies ) using this for CD Player for now.
Pioneer iPod Docking Station.
Monster M Series cable.
Biwire from receiver to speakers.

I did not want to compromise on the CD Player. I decided to wait for a few months and buy the Rega Apollo CD Player.

I was able to hook the receiver, dvd player, speakers in a hour after reading the manual and getting some inputs from the store. My system is working now.

I feel that the base is little softer compared to when i listened to the demo's in the shop. I am suspecting the position of the speakers. My entertainment center is placed in the corner of the room like a cross/diagonal view. Any recommendations on how to position the speakers to get the optimal permformance.

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 17
What is a good Sub to go with B&W 683 ?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 906
Depends upon what you want to hear, what you're willing to pay, how big of a box you want, etc.

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 18
Can anybody please recommend a component rack for Rotel 1057 and DVD Player. Just this 2 units

Gold Member

Post Number: 8528
Behringer offer some good steady racks for good bucks, Ganesh.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2348
Ganesh

Last week I demmed 683s (with HTM61 centre and 686 at the rear)for the first time. I used Arcam DV139/AVR350 electronics. The AVR350 is about as powerful (maybe a bit less) as the 1057. I started with the B&W PV-1 sub and I thought this was a very good combination indeed.

The customer did not! He wanted a bigger, more obvious presentation - a bit like putting the aircon too high so you can feel it. Eventually he went with a Velodyne SPL-1200R. I demmed the 1000 but although he liked it he went for the 1200 because of the 12" driver and is almost the same money. I admit that the 1000R is a better sub, but he wanted it set too high (I did mention at one point that if he couldn't hear it he was deaf! :-) ).

I also demmed the Naim n-Sub to him (this is 60% more). He accepted that this was a lot better but in his view it wasn't so much better as to justify the cost and he didn't like the look. In my view of all the ones we tried I'd have taken the PV-1 or the Naim, while accepting that the Velodyne was very good value indeed.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 19
Would you compare a Sunfire True Sub with the Velodyne or B&W Sub ?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2352
Ganesh,

I've never tried a Sunfire sub in a system I know. I do know Bob Carver's amps. all I can say is his subs better be a lot better than his amps otherwise dey ain't gonna light a candle next to da Velodyne.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 934
Ganesh: The Sunfire subs are decent as far as small subs go, but you have to keep in mind, theres no replacement for displacement. There are any number of subwoofers that will outperform it, albeit at the price of having a larger cabinet.

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 20
Am a little confused. Please Correct me if am wrong.

Larger Size Sub's => lesser ( e.g. B&W / velodyne ) 1000 watts better than smaller subs with more watts sunfire true sub 1500 watts. ?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2353
You can't assume from the numbers that any component has to be better than another. There are very good subs around with 100W or 200W amps (e.g. REL).

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 21
Okay. How about the size of the cabinet. Does it make a difference ?

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 935
Lets put it this way: which is more effective at putting out bass, a small satellite, or a large floorstanding speaker.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 936
Just to give a simple example...

In the Hsu STF-1 review by Sensible Sound, in terms of measured output, it wiped the floor with the Sunfire Super Junior. The Hsu is all of $299, with a modest 150 watt amplifier. However, its cabinet is over 4 times larger. I'd also daresay that Hsu's reputation for quality of bass exceeds that of Sunfire.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2358
Ganesh - everything makes a difference. Cabinet size, amplifier power and type, drive unit size and weight, number of drive units, sub configuration (downward firing, wall firing, room firing, ceiling firing), ported or not ported...the list is long.

There is no one way to decide that a sub is better than another unless you hear it. Each approach has its compromises. For example, a bigger cabinet allows the sub to breathe more easily, but a bigger cabinet is difficult to brace properly which gives cabinet honk. I know some very small subs which put larger subs to shame and I know large subs which make smaller subs seem pathetic...

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1301
Very Odd? I was just reading up on the new B&W 600 series and the B&W 685 features a 6.5" driver and the 686 features a 5" driver.

You would think that the model with a 5" driver would end in a 5, and the one with a 6.5" would end in a 6.

Am I wrong?

I'm going to try audition these over the weekend if I can.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8642
CM, nothing seems odd to me anymore.
I really want to gather your opinions on the 685.
I called the shop around here and he has these coming this week, selling price will be 1500cdn.
Remembering that the loonie is nearly at parity, I would like to find out the price that can be negotiated.

If you can try them on a Classe or Rotel power amp with a Rush recording(like Red Barchetta) that would be even better.
And yes, I would like fries with that!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1302
I'll see what I can do Nuck.

They seem to be classier looking than the old 600 series, they got rid of those plastic baffles, but still vinyl clad? At the price B&W charges, you'd think wood veneer be in order, I guess it's whats on the inside that counts. We'll see.

The 300 series has bit the dust, I wonder if they plan to replace it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1303
The baffles on the new 600 are still plastic, just not as ugly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8649
They were on at a shop in Dallas with a Rotel receiver, but I didn't listen. They were in the room o' speakers, so not much point.
I didn't even look too close.
The size looks up from the 6's and a large port, didn't notice anything else.

The 800's in the big room with Classe ca-m400's however...

Username: Djcody3000

St. albert , Alberta Canada

how about B&W 683's with an integra dtr 7.8. i really like rotel but the integra has dolbytrueHD and all those new lossless formats for hd, and apparently rotel isnt coming out with that for another year? also monster mcx 2's speaker cables, any opinions?

Bronze Member

Framingham, MA USA

Post Number: 22
B&W 685 Books shelf's. I heard them when I bought my gear ( B&W 683 and Rotel ).

Trust me. They sound unreal for the price $600 a pair. Now you can't beat Vocal clarity of these at this price period (IMO). Well surely, they lack the bass of 683 ( which you dont expect in a book shelf ). But Sound stage and vocal clarity just blew me away. I have listened to totem's bookshelf. But they start at 2 X times as much money as 685's. And the only model in Totem ( Rainmaker at $2800), i can think was noticable better than the 685's.

so, I am going to buy them myself for my rear's. But I am planning to use the 685 as fronts for music, when I listen to some classical songs with lots high frequency vocals with string instruments. ( side by side with my 683's ).

An Cody, I have B&W 683's with Rotel 1057. After a month, they whole system is broken in and now they sound just fantastic. The bass is phenomenal. I have not heard them with an Integra, so dont how well they would match with B&W 683's. And, I dont have a sub hooked up yet. Yet the bass is unbelievably tight and clean.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 606
Ganesh. Maybe do without the sub if you find the bass tight and clean. I know if I had the 685s I wouldnt get a sub, I completely love the sound of them. And they were hardly used in the shop so god knows what they'd be like if they'd have warmed up. They make music very danceable!

Username: Nymont

Is the 685 speakers equivalent to the B&W 602 speakers? Does Rotel 1057 sound that much better with B&W compared to a Marantz 5001?

Username: Radiskull

San Diego, CA U.S.A

I'm very new to the Hi-Fi world, and I'm currently shopping around for an entry level system, I'm on a budget. I need a CD player, Amp and Pre Amp combo, and a pair of speakers. I've looked at the B&W 683 and the NAD C162 C272. Are these good combo's for the speakers? or should I get some thing from Rotel for the 683's. I listen to a lot of Heavy Metal and Classic Rock. I like good clean high's(Not artifical though) and clean punchy bass. Also if some one can recommend a CD player for under $800 would highly appreciate it. Whatcha think, good choice??? Still in the market shopping, San Diego area.}

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2298
Rogman -
You should start a new thread. You'll get a lot more responses.

Username: Radiskull

San Diego, CA U.S.A

Post Number: 2
Thanks Stu.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us