New speaker set

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1698
So I have been looking around a little for a set of bookshelf speakers and I came across these.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=2_42&products_id=94
I was just wondering what everyone thought about them. I will most likely be pairing it with a Harman Kardon 3480 and a powered sub built by me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1699
Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 777
Can't say I've heard much about them. I've heard they make respectable subwoofers for a reasonable price; zilch on their speakers though. Any specific reason you're looking at these?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1700
Well mainly because of price. Thats really the only reason and because I know they make pretty reliable products for car audio and happened to notice the have home audio things as well. But price/power handling was the main reason for considering them.
I am open to other options because I have not purchased anything but am pretty set on the HK3480 because I have heard nothing but good things about HK and it seems to be a extremely good deal for a factory refurbished off of eBay for 200$ with a one year manufactures warranty.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 778
I owned the HK's little brother and it was a decent amplifier, although it had a couple reliability problems. Of course I own another HK now that has been flawless.

As far as speakers, there are lots of good but inexpensive speakers from the likes of Polk, Insignia, AV123, Athena, etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1701
Alright I will look into some of them. Where is the best spot to look at them and for the best price? Any specific model numbers I should look at? Thanks for the help so far I am a newb when it comes to home audio stuff.

Silver Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 779
Insignia makes good bookshelf available at Best Buy (Insignia is their house brand). Last I looked at it, it was 70 bucks a pair, although I've heard they've gone up in price since. I personally think they can make the owners of much more expensive speakers wonder where the heck their extra money is going to.

Polk has a relatively low priced line, the R series, which has bookshelf models as low as around $50 a pair, and are reputed to be decent. I'm personally not Polk's biggest fan, but they are worth a listen either way.

AV123 is an online only retailer, but if the price is in your bracket, you could likely find someone nearby that will let you listen to their speakers via their forums.

Athena used to be sold at BB, however, they seem to have gone online only as well. They're a part of API, which recently was bought out by Klipsch, but makes such brands as Energy and Mirage as well. They've switched models recently, so you might be able to still pick up a good pair of bookshelves from audioadvisor.com on the cheap.

You might as well look at the offerings from Wharfedale on audioadvisor as well, as they are fairly popular.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us