Amp to receiver

Username: Benjamin02740

Post Number: 4
ok im trying to plug and amp in to my home theater its not a car amp im not that crazy lol ... cuz i need it to power my fronts i have a yamaha htr-5950 cheap but sounds great anyway i tryed hooking it up but i get no sound so i was wondering if any 1 could help and direct me that would be great thx

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7850
Ben, I did a quick search on the Yammy, but did not see if it has pre-outs. If so(I am presuming you know) then remove the jumper on the back marked 'main', connect rca's from the main L&R preouts to the inputs of an amplifier and let er go.

Post Number: 5
hey man thx again srry but htere is a pic i forgot um and i dont kno wut u mean srry im a nooby lol if i don thave can u explain alittle bit more thx here a big shot off th eback http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/YEC/AV_Receivers/Views/HTR-5950BL_RP.jpg

Post Number: 6
oop si messed up (there) on my way to audio store lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 7854
no pre-outs. No soup for you!

Post Number: 7
sad.... thx looks like ill be bringing the amp bak cant bring the reciever had to long or else would

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 183
Ben, your posts are almost unintelligible due to the lack of punctuation and poor spelling. Please take the time to present your posts in such a way that we can understand you (and help you!).

That being said, I think the Yamaha HTR-5960 (the next model up from the 5950) is the first receiver in that line that have amp pre-outs. Sorry to hear that you can't return the 5950 and upgrade.

Post Number: 8
i can spell i was rushing out the door.. and im sorry about that i didn't know how to go back and edit it after i posted it

Post Number: 9
so another amp is an external decoder or no ?

cause it does say in the manual that it can be hooked up but i am not sure.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2262
Not with those connections. You can't use an external amplifier without any preouts (the only one you have is the subwoofer output).

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 10
yeah i got a sony STR-DG1000 for 800 dollars works good... but i could of probably got better if u know any ones better in that price range that would be great as i can still return for refund and thanks for responding

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 190
For 800 bucks you do much better than a Sony.

H/K or even Pioneer... Just make sure it has pre-outs for all the channels you want to drive with outboard amplification.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2270
...or Denon...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
one of the guys at bestbuy was trying to get me to buy a h/k brand he was telling me it was monster the 665 watt one also 799 so im thinking of driving the 37 miles to bestbuy to exchange as they dont have these units at the bestbuy near were i live.... again thanks for replying im not smart on audio as you guys can tell

Gold Member

Post Number: 7985
ben, do you have access to Denon, like Frank said?
Denon is the front runner for 5.1 and ht, I thought that the brand didn't rate so well in stereo, but I have not been out enough lately for a current opinion.

Frank, which model would fit ben?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i believe they are sold at circuit city but what model?? im going to bring my sony one back saturday ... well instead of making a new thread what sub in your opinion is better a jbl sub12 or a klipsch on performance wich will last longer as the jbl died in less than 24 hours and my klipsch sub 10 has been working for a year no problems well thx or any other sub in range of 699 .. thanks again ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 8005
ben, I would look at Velodyne in that price range, but only if the deal is super. The dps12 ain't even close.
The Hsu line is about the best way to go, until you hit the musical wall and think REL, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
hey again thanks for post.. i went in c/c today i looked for the denon and the velodyne they had the avr887 denon like 600 or 700 bucks and a dps 10b
sub around 500 bucks and a vrp -1200 12 inch for 340 prices is what confusing me oh and what about polk i did see a few in stock were i live.. thats wut guy her was telling me to buy .... thx again

Gold Member

Post Number: 8010
ben, again, I would have to think Hsu for a sub at that price.
Very much so, in fact.
You can look into SVS as well, these guys do subs and not much else, hard to beat on RWG money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
my day was horrible well the 1st part i bought a denon unit brought the thing back kept protecting so i returned went to b/b bought a harman unit protected again.
so i just went with a 899 dollar yamaha sound is awesome and a velodyne sub that thing rattles my lights lol ....i couldn't be more happy thanks for replying to me and helping me as much as u could appreciate it

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 558
Hmmm?

I'm thinking you will soon have a Yamaha up in smoke or you finally broke the code on how to wire your amp to your speakers.

Amps out of the box do not generally "protect" unless there is a short in the feed somewhere.

Two? Somehow the axiom "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." comes into mind here.

Be careful with your wires, especially if the + and - (red and black) of you speaker wires are not clearly delineated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
it shuts off when i raise volume that a short or just to high? using 18 gauge with banana plugs.. thx

Gold Member

Post Number: 8029
Ben, if it plays for a while then shuts down hot, that is a weak power supply, or an unreasonable expectation of the same.
A shorting is going to shut down a lot quicker.
A dead short won't power on at all.
Most every receiver is dead short protected.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
it plays fine just when i go over a un reasonable volume it shuts off i also have bass +8 when i leave to zero it does not shut off so i think im over powering?

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wiley, Tx USA

Post Number: 563
doesn't splain cookin the other two amps. find your short. change out your speaker wire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
ok i bought some 12 gauge sound is even better rattles my walls thx to that velodyne sub lol but problem is. it dont shut off form rock country music just rap i dont understand it .. any ideas

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 91
turn it down, when playing rap.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
good idea... but im one of them people who like my ears ringing so ill stick with the rock and country and the techno...im probably getting annoying so .... thanks for helping

Bronze Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 92
not getting annoying, if you like it loud then turn down the bass a little and see if that helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
i found the problem i think all my songs were burnt some have strange cracking noises also ... so i bought a lil wayne cd and turned all the way up +10 bass +4 treb no shut off at all then the same song i downloaded and burnt it shuts off .... weird

Gold Member

Post Number: 8037
Ben, lower the recordig level and try again.
And clean your cd's before burning.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
is there a way to do that with nero 6? i dont see option but i do see normalize volume is that the same thing??

Gold Member

Post Number: 8038
I could only presume so, I have never recorded with that tool.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us