Outdoor Speakers

Username: Volntitan

Post Number: 2
I am trying to put some speakers on my deck. Since it is longer than wider (about 14' from the house and about 24' long), an installer told me I should go with 2 dual voice speakers as opposed to a stereo pair. First of all, any thoughts on that? Also, I am probably going to have to buy the speakers "blind" since none of the dual input speakers I am looking at are actually available for listening, any thoughts on brands I should look at? I can get a good deal on Klipsch AW-500-sm for $187 a piece. But again, haven't heard them.

Also...anyone ever buy speakers from outdoorspeakerdepot.com? The prices are good but not sure the of the quality.

Any, ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 3
Sorry about the double post. I'm not sure how to delete one of them...

Post Number: 4
Thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 169
I just recently bought a pair of Polk outdoor speakers which I'm pretty happy with.

Of course my speakers outside aren't really for critical listening, they're more for background noise when drinking beer on the deck with friends.

Post Number: 5
That is exactly what I am looking for. Something where I can hear it better than just having a jambox plugged in. Just not sure if 2 speakers will get it done.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 172
My main deck is 16x12 and the 2 speakers are WAY more than enough. I have to keep them turned down quite low just so conversation can be heard.

I run an old NAD amp from the basement which has A/B outputs. On the main deck I have the 2 speakers, and on the other deck at the side of the house I have 2 more. It fills the backyard with sound quite nicely.

Post Number: 6
What about these specs? These are dual input speakers (left and right in both speakers).

. All-Weather Versatility
. Rigid, Acoustically Inert Enclosure
. 6 1/2" polypropylene woofer
. Two 1" supernil soft dome pivoting tweeters
. Gold-plated 5-way binding posts
. Power handling: 125W
. Wiring - 4-conductor (left & right)
. Frequency Response 35Hz - 20kHz
. Sensitivity 90db
. Finishes: White and Black
. Includes brackets
. Unit Dimension: 13"H x 8.5"W x 7.5"D
. Unit Weight: 14 lbs
. 10-year warranty

Post Number: 7
Thoughts on those specs?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7825
Jeff, I think you may be caugt up in the last advise that you received, needing dual voice coils.
Wiring these speaks as singles makes things much simpler for impedence, and the swiveling tweeters will fill the spave quite easily, if you stick with the 'background music while drinking beer' scenario.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 179
I think you may be getting caught up on specs too much. Don't worry about it... A deck is for drinking beer - music is secondary!

Post Number: 8
I just hate spending money knowing that there is a chance I got "ripped" off.

I guess I just need to figure out if using these dual input speakers is a better idea than just using 2 normal speakers.

Since I have talked so much about it, here is what the deck looks like, with the top deck being 14'x14' and the lower being 14'x18'. Any placement ideas would be great. I am cursed with the need to overanalyse purchase....

Upload

Post Number: 9
bump**

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Upstate, New York

Post Number: 795
The only issue with the Klipsch is they can be a bit beamy.

Personally... While I feel that the Bose 151 may be a tad overpriced, the coverage it gives is excellent when the environment is taken into consideration. It has very wide dispersion, which may or may not be a good thing for you, but it prevents hot spots, and spots with low volume.
Many people here aren't fans of Bose, especially for critical listening, but for an outdoor environment, the unique design approach that they take may be an advantage in your case.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=151_outdoor _index

The Bose 251 are more expensive, at $350 a pair, but provide a sealed, built in woofer. They offer the same wide dispersion pattern.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=251_outdoor_index

Mirage makes multipolar outdoor speakers as well, and tends to get more respect in the audiophile communities as a whole.

http://www.miragespeakers.com/v2/product_page.php?open=types&subid=698&id=590

http://www.miragespeakers.com/v2/product_page.php?open=types&subid=698&id=589

Bottom line, I feel that any of these speakers would suit your needs well. None will offer booming bass (Bose 251 has decent bass though), but they will perform admirably at the task.

After looking at your diagram, two speakers from Bose or Mirage would be sufficient for even coverage. I cannot say about the Klipsch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us