Athena LS 500 vs Athena as F2.2

Username: Qwsazxbilly

Post Number: 1
I see and read a lot about Athena,s AS F2.2 speakers,they seem to be highly recommended for their quality and affordability.But i can,t find much of anything about Athena,s LS 500s,except for whats on Athena,s own web page,Here,s what i do know,they,re both floor standing speakers,but thats where it ends.I,m guessing the LS 500,s are replacing the AS F2.2,s.Anybody had a listen at the LS 500,s yet?

Username: Dean53

Muskegon, MI United States

Post Number: 1
I have a pair of Athena AS-F2.2s and I love them. Outstanding performance from a very reasonably priced speaker. I believe that the LS 500 is a newer model and I havnt had a chance to hear it, but you wont be disappointed with the athenas either way!

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 492
I used to have the AS-F2. They were fine speakers but the more I listened the more I realized that voices were a bit unnatural. (It's worse and obvious with the AS-F1 which I also had for a while.) Of course, the overall sound with those two 8 inch woofers is quite impressive, very robust and full but the tweeter can be a bit bright.

I suspect that the LS500, with it's aluminum dome tweeter and 6 1/2 inch composite fiberglas woofers (Energy parts??) will sound more like the Energy C-500s (same parent company) which have similar drivers but with a 2 1/2 way set up. That's not bad. I have the old Energy C5 and it's a terrific, very natural sounding speaker. The bottom line is that you should not expect the LS500 to sound like the AS-F2.2. It would be fun to compare them side by side. I'll bet the LS500 has a leaner but more natural character.

I was able to listen to the Athena AS-F2 at Best Buy before I purchased them. Now, Athena appears to be only available on-line. Not a good thing because you should always listen to speakers before you buy them. It's B.S. shipping speakers back if you don't like them as I learned with a set of AXIOM floorstanders. Energy seems to be more available. You may want to check out the C-500. www.energy-speakers.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us